Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is your buggy registered/ titled as
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

For all the clone owners out there
What do you have your machine registered/titled as?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

1976 Dune Bug first registered in Alberta in that year by the original builder.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

My fiberglass buggy is California based, and registered as SPCN (SPecial CoNstruction)...

Cali has this thing if it does not look like a bug it is not going to be registered as a bug...

UPDATE:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/spcnsreg

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Tue May 29, 2018 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Volkswagen 2DR.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Why do you use the ugly word clone?

My fiberglass Dunebuggy is Titled & registered as a '69 Volkswagen.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Seems calling it a "dune buggy" is a kiss of doom now with some states DMVs and insurance companies. Street buggy would be better term.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Funny thing they still classify cars by the number of doors as the defining feature. Kind of like saying 2 legged human as nearly all cars these days have 4 doors.

And yes the registration says 2 door for mine even though it does not have doors!
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Why do you use the ugly word clone?

My fiberglass Dunebuggy is Titled & registered as a '69 Volkswagen.

I used clone because if it was a Meyers Manx or know manufacture then you could use that on the registration. With so many manufactures back in the day and many not having any type of defining markings what else could I call them while excluding the know manufactures.

It was not used as a bad term. Just wanted to separate them from all fibreglass bodies buggies
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

New York State DMV

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-custom-or-homemade-trailer-or-vehicle

"dune buggies"

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Dune Buggy on title
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

"Manx clone" to me is not a negative connotation. It is the truth.

Bruce Meyers had a brilliant thing going there and I believe he got steam rolled by his own success. Rather a bad thing for him of course but to me "Manx clone" does put me in mind of the heritage Bruce left us and I for one am gratefull for it.

Untill I am fortunale enough to have a real Manx I will proudly tell all who ask that "No this is not the real thing, it is a copy." and tell the Bruce Meyers story. Great conversation opener - try it some time.

Yes tell the truth!
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

i am in B.C. Canada.

i have two;

1966 VW Beetle - Body Style : Dune Buggy.

!974 VW Beetle - Body Style : Dune Buggy
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Check out your state's requirement, you might be surprized of what you are doing wrong and possible the consequences...

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
GuitarBreaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

My Bradley GT is registered as a 1900 Volkswagen 2-door.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

GuitarBreaker wrote:
My Bradley GT is registered as a 1900 Volkswagen 2-door.

... 1900?

I don't recall Volkswagen being in the car business in 1900.

Very Happy

bnc
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Make: HMDE (Home made)
Body: BG (Buggy?)

ID Number: FLA... (Matches little plate mail'd to me and attach'd at top rear of tunnel)

YR MK: 65 (Based on 1965 Volkswagen title I had to surrender for registration in Florida)

Date of Issue: 08-31-81

I guess Home made Buggy was okay in 1981; doesn't fit into any of the catagories shown for Florida in the documents kindly posted by @Dale M. (But then, neither does my aerodynamically customized Mini-Camaro!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh well, they have kept selling me a new plate and/or tag every year since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

I am in Pennsylvania and currently savoring a build of a Deserter Series 1 dune buggy built on a 1969 chassis. I currently have a title for the 1969 Beetle it is based on and that will be the Donor title when I finally go for the Pennsylvania required Specially Constructed Vehicle Enhanced inspection and State issued new VIN.

Some people keep their Kit Cars Dune Buggies registered as Beetles with no issues that I ever heard about. In fact out of the 3 Buggy owners that I have met in my area exactly none of them had the Specially Constructed Vehicle registration at all.

At least one of the Buggy Owners did know of the SPCN requirement but the general consensus was that if you behaved yourself and acted like a respectable citizen and not yahoo around and act like an outlaw then the LEOs wouldn't bother you. I tend to agree. However I am going with the SPCN enhanced route because I worked to hard to get what I have and to have it confiscated, which can happen, because and Officer is having a bad day, is not acceptable.

Some day in the future when I finally put my Deserter through the PA Enhanced inspection I will post the entire procedure here on the SAMBA.

Getting our Buggies and Kit cars properly registered can only help the hobby. I say this because of the current situation in Texas. Following the rules can only help should scrutiny such as what is happening in Texas befall you in your state.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

New buggies in WA should be titled as as kit cars, my understanding is you still retain the year based on your frame. I understand that some have built new buggies and retained the Beetle title with the concept that the state has no idea when it was built.

The laws used to be different, they where called type 1 and type 2 "special motor vehicles" depending on if they where based on an existing vehicle from a recognized manufacturer or scratch built. Back then if you where based on a vehicle you retained that title and they didn't even inspect the car (we have no regular equipment inspections in WA.)

Most buggies where built under the old rules as they where in place until around 1990. I don't see how you could even retitle under the new rules as they are mostly about documenting the parts. I also don't see any requirement by the state to retitle "special motor vehicles" licensed under the old rules. The beach buggies of the era are still titled as Beetles.
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Mine is registered as a historic vehicle. We are in Germany. The license plate shows an 'H' for at the end of the number.

H registration requires the car itself really being that old. (30+ years) and for the buggy, it must have been registered at the time in Germany.
Building a buggy from scratch using an beetle chassis and a new body kit would not be successful, as the newly built car would not comply to today's safety standards.

The registration of the Buggies in Germany was not on the manufacturer, but on the person who bought and built the car. So my papers show an individual person rather than the Company who produced the kit.

The classic car registration exempts from certain modern limitations and safety aspects which allow driving in environmental zones (many cities require a minimum level of exhaust limits indicated by a green sticker, otherwise the car is not allowed to enter the city).

And it makes the TUV visits way easier... And insurance is less costly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Every state is different and asking what your Dunebuggy is registered as is pointless. There are 50 possible different answers. I have owned mine for almost 30 years and I'm sure the laws has changed since. Back then everybody registered them as the VW they were originally used to build the Buggy. Oklahoma does not have and emmissions or safety inspections test for the last 20 years so nobody looks at them and I continue to register and insure it as a 69 VW Bug.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: