Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is your buggy registered/ titled as
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Mine is titled as an assembled vehicle
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
I am in Pennsylvania and currently savoring a build of a Deserter Series 1 dune buggy built on a 1969 chassis. I currently have a title for the 1969 Beetle it is based on and that will be the Donor title when I finally go for the Pennsylvania required Specially Constructed Vehicle Enhanced inspection and State issued new VIN.

Some people keep their Kit Cars Dune Buggies registered as Beetles with no issues that I ever heard about. In fact out of the 3 Buggy owners that I have met in my area exactly none of them had the Specially Constructed Vehicle registration at all.

At least one of the Buggy Owners did know of the SPCN requirement but the general consensus was that if you behaved yourself and acted like a respectable citizen and not yahoo around and act like an outlaw then the LEOs wouldn't bother you. I tend to agree. However I am going with the SPCN enhanced route because I worked to hard to get what I have and to have it confiscated, which can happen, because and Officer is having a bad day, is not acceptable.

Some day in the future when I finally put my Deserter through the PA Enhanced inspection I will post the entire procedure here on the SAMBA.

Getting our Buggies and Kit cars properly registered can only help the hobby. I say this because of the current situation in Texas. Following the rules can only help should scrutiny such as what is happening in Texas befall you in your state.

Mike T

While I appreciate the sentiment, are you really suggesting that people go into the DMV to spend the time, money and intentionally putting yourself in the headlights of the DMV bureaucracy in order to “do the right thing?” and retitle their vehicles? I’ve dealt with them on simple things and I can be maddening. In Florida we don’t have vehicle inspections. If in the process of a traffic, an LEO can cite vehicles with improper equipment, but I have yet to be stopped. I’m also legal except for I don’t have an E-brake or windshield wipers, both of which are on my to do list. But the chances of me walzing into the DMV to open a can of worms are less then me pounding on my pecker with a tack hammer. If it’s not broke, why fix it? Now if I ever choose to build a new one, sure I’ll go through the process. Until then... nope.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
BIGMIKEY wrote:
I am in Pennsylvania and currently savoring a build of a Deserter Series 1 dune buggy built on a 1969 chassis. I currently have a title for the 1969 Beetle it is based on and that will be the Donor title when I finally go for the Pennsylvania required Specially Constructed Vehicle Enhanced inspection and State issued new VIN.

Some people keep their Kit Cars Dune Buggies registered as Beetles with no issues that I ever heard about. In fact out of the 3 Buggy owners that I have met in my area exactly none of them had the Specially Constructed Vehicle registration at all.

At least one of the Buggy Owners did know of the SPCN requirement but the general consensus was that if you behaved yourself and acted like a respectable citizen and not yahoo around and act like an outlaw then the LEOs wouldn't bother you. I tend to agree. However I am going with the SPCN enhanced route because I worked to hard to get what I have and to have it confiscated, which can happen, because and Officer is having a bad day, is not acceptable.

Some day in the future when I finally put my Deserter through the PA Enhanced inspection I will post the entire procedure here on the SAMBA.

Getting our Buggies and Kit cars properly registered can only help the hobby. I say this because of the current situation in Texas. Following the rules can only help should scrutiny such as what is happening in Texas befall you in your state.

Mike T

While I appreciate the sentiment, are you really suggesting that people go into the DMV to spend the time, money and intentionally putting yourself in the headlights of the DMV bureaucracy in order to “do the right thing?” and retitle their vehicles? I’ve dealt with them on simple things and I can be maddening. In Florida we don’t have vehicle inspections. If in the process of a traffic, an LEO can cite vehicles with improper equipment, but I have yet to be stopped. I’m also legal except for I don’t have an E-brake or windshield wipers, both of which are on my to do list. But the chances of me walzing into the DMV to open a can of worms are less then me pounding on my pecker with a tack hammer. If it’s not broke, why fix it? Now if I ever choose to build a new one, sure I’ll go through the process. Until then... nope.

When I wrote the last paragraph about getting properly registered I was thinking only of new construction and the initial registration.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Check out your state's requirement, you might be surprized of what you are doing wrong and possible the consequences...

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

Dale

I looked through the Illinois section, that would be enough to put me off of building one. I bought mine out of state (Ohio). The title says dune buggy on it. Was it properly registered when it was built in Ohio, if it was built in Ohio, in 1968? I have no idea. When I transferred it at my local DMV there was discussion about what it is as there was no dune buggy option in the computer drop down list, they put it through as is. For me, in practice, they are the authority on the matter. They have to be.
Years ago I did a school bus to RV conversion (I still have it). I spoke on the phone to the state trooper in charge of this and was told there is an application, then inspection, then new vin assigned. I filled out the paperwork and sent it in with pictures and an extensive description of what I had done. The title simply said "truck" on it. In a few weeks I received a new set of RV plates with registration which I renew every year. No inspection or new vin, apparently they were satisfied with it as is.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

I'll add that when I went to insure it they also had no category for dune buggy, that's when I learned that to a lot of younger people a dune buggy is a side by side atv. They had to call the central office (State Farm) for instruction and ended up writing it as a beetle. I made it very clear what it is and supplied pictures. Coverage for road only, no off road use.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

If you are having issues like I was insuring your buggy in Alberta get a hold of Competition Insurance.

https://www.competition.ca/

You will need to get your buggy appraised as insurance is based off of the appraisal but it is worth the work.

My buggy is registered as a 1960 Modified Dune Buggy.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Every state is different and asking what your Dunebuggy is registered as is pointless.

Why did you even bother to read the thread then... let alone respond to it? If you truly feel this way, back out of the thread and leave it alone for the rest of us to enjoy. It's an interesting topic and did not need this input.

Our buggy is titled in Oregon as a 1971 "assembled" and sits on a 1963 pan. At one point back in the 80's or maybe early 90's my Dad was looking for insurance on it and some company (I don't remember which one) tried to classify it the same as a Corvette due to the fiberglass body. He found a different insurance company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

GreenImp wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Every state is different and asking what your Dunebuggy is registered as is pointless.

Our buggy is titled in Oregon as a 1971 "assembled" and sits on a 1963 pan. At one point back in the 80's or maybe early 90's my Dad was looking for insurance on it and some company (I don't remember which one) tried to classify it the same as a Corvette due to the fiberglass body. He found a different insurance company.

that could have been expensive
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

Mine is on a '56 pan and is registered in CA as SPCN since '69. It has an aluminum plate VIN riveted right next to the gas pedal where you rest your foot. So it's a little worn.

In Okinawa it was registered as a '69 2 dr sedan, as I always had to have the hard top and door curtains on for inspection. They wouldn't accept the CA VIN or the original pan VIN so they stamped a new one below the pan VIN, it was rather amusing to watch as that part of the tunnel is incredibly hard and I"m sure he ruined his stamps with a 2Kg hammer.

Here in Germany the registration says "BEETLE" with '69 as it's year. The inspectors don't give me a hassle about it and they use the CA VIN on the registration.

Insurance didn't seem to have a problem with it as long as it passes the inspection every year.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: What is your buggy registered/ titled as Reply with quote

GreenImp wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Why did you even bother to read the thread then... let alone respond to it? If you truly feel this way, back out of the thread and leave it alone for the rest of us to enjoy. It's an interesting topic and did not need this input.

Drop the attitude ....

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: