Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

So I am finally mounting my transmission and I have tried to read through forum after forum to determine proper placement. and while i have some idea about placement I was hoping on recommendation for maximum travel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have tacked the horns in place and trying to slide transmission forward and backwards to gain maximum travel. with the trailing arms raised should I be even with the transmission flanges to wheel? or when wheel is extended all the way down I should be even there?

As is it looks like I will be using 24 inch axles. I got a string and held tight from center of transmission flange to center of stub axel it was 24.5 inches so I am thinking its a 24 inch.
mendola 2d transmission is skinnier then my 6 rib.

58inches wide from outside of trailing arm to other side.
the trailing arm is 28" long from bushing to back end.
Was told these were 5x5.
sound, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

You will be better off with slight offset, tranny should be slightly in front of drive axle. ...you will get a little more travel with out axle binding against drive flanges.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

Man, it sucks to be you right now. Time to get out tape measure and start cycling the suspension. The axle length needed will change as suspension moves. Trick will be to keep moving trans until you find a sweet spot with the least amount of change while maintaining proper cv angles. Then you have to also consider axle spline length/amount of axle movement in the cv splines. I would start with the trans output flanges 5"forward of the stubs and start measuring/cycling. Have you checked these guys out?
http://www.blindchickenracing.com
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

I have checked out blindchicken but site is not easiest to go through. I do need to do alot of measuring. Anyone know if its worth to get titanium cage 930 for my cv's? is it worth it? are those the racing cv's or are those different?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donald Mace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

You just need the good cromoly race cages and preped cv's. You should get around 18-20in wheel travel.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

I would love 20 to match my front end. well im getting 20 well see what happens when i put the coilovers in.
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

So how wide is the rear from wms-wms?

I'm currently brainstorming to build my own trailing arms but can't decide how wide to make the car.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

How wide is your front? how much travel do you have? unless you have plans to do the front as well I try to make them run close to the same width during ride height.

WMS?

i have 58 inches to the trailing arms edges not counting the stubs. if you include to edges of tires im probably around 78 inches but all that depends on how wide your tires are and the style of rims with backspacing.
I am just guessing as I have to redrill the holes on my rims as my new lugs are larger then the holes. I think I got an old set of 5 wide rims.
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

I don't currently have a front end. I do plan on matching my front and rear track widths however, I am undecided on that measurement at the moment.

Wms is the acronym for wheel mount surface.

I just began drawing the trailing arms in the computer so I guess once I get the geometry set in the computer I'll know more where to make my compromises on width with the toe changes through out travel.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

I raised my trailing arms so the flange is the same height as the stub axle.
Came out to be 23.75 inches on both right and left. Currently my transmission is 1 inch towards the front of the car then the stub axles. from what I have read you take out .25 inch for wiggle room and that is what your axel length is.
this kit is the cheapest. but I lose out on 1/2 inch on axle. $529
https://www.appletreeauto.com/22-930-AXLE-ASSEMBLY-16-2239-0/

I could get 23.5 axles but they cost 300 more to make my own combo.
https://www.mooreparts.com/heavy-duty-300m-axles-23-1-2-length-28-splines-porsche-930-cv-joints/

I also found a deal for a complete kit for a 24 inch axle $529
but I am assuming I would have to move my transmission forward more to fit 24 inch axles.

Can anyone tell me how far forward I would have to move my transmission to fit 24 inches. I am assuming I would need to stretch my 23.75 another .5 to hit 4.25 and fit 24 inch axles. But I am just trying not to move my transmission more then 3 inches from center of stub axles as that is when thing start to break. or so I heard.

What would you guys recommend?
Or Am I suppose to measure at full droop where my stub axles are even with my transmission flange so I am not dealing with multiple angles? But then how do I know what angle is to much?

Found this guy telling people how to measure but damn that transmission looks really far from center of the stub axles. is this still good?
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

I got told for proper transmission position, you want the cups to be inline with each other at full droop. this is not used for measuring axles, strictly for cup position to get rid of compound CV angle. getting rid of compound angles here helps get you the most out of your suspension before CV bind occurs. If you have to move the trans, do so, then bring the arms back up to level with the trans and remeasure your axle length. i would not move the trans forward more to accommodate a longer axle as it creates more compound angle on the CV and may limit you more on suspension travel.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

Found this.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504145

says he used just shy of 24 inches.
Called tatum and asked about their 5x5 arms that I have with a 2d and they said 23.75 arms. they said 24 work as well.

So Ill be ordering 24's
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

Looks good from here. ..you will get way more travel not having the axles in line. ...I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure your supposed to measure from the cv's mounting surface, not the inside of the flange. ..looks like you made an adjustable axle measuring tool, very cool 😊
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear trailing arms mendeola transmission placement Reply with quote

I wish I made myself one of those. Mine is the mendola with measuring tape lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: