Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tuff Tub Steering Column
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenC819
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Tuff Tub Steering Column Reply with quote

Have a 70's Tuff Tub Body with a 60's steering column. I want to install a GM column from 68 to 76 and wonder if anyone has done this. I would be grateful to speak to you about which one you used and what modifications you did.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tuff Tub Steering Column Reply with quote

Not a Tuff Tub, but a Sterling. I installed an early '80's Chevy Beretta column on one of mine. Installing on a buggy should be just about the same. The trick is going to be the fitting of a double-D shaft to the splined VW shaft at the rag joint end. I set my column where I wanted it, and marked where the column met up with the rag joint "T". From there, trimmed the column and simply welded the T to the Chevy shaft. Make sure it's straight!

Wiring was done from references found on the net for pin-outs. I retained everything but the washer/wiper function.

Mounting is however you can firmly mount it to the body. Chevy columns usually have a set of mounting "ears" somewhere that can be utilized; you'll just need to find a way to do that. A brace going up, across under the dash, and back down to the perimeter frame is a start - cross brace it to the frame head and you'll be good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tuff Tub Steering Column Reply with quote

Using factory steering columns is such a pain. They are big and bulky. Get a Flaming River or Ididit column and use some of their ujoints for a great & clean set up. You can also add tilt if you like. I did on my last two builds and it was great.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tuff Tub Steering Column Reply with quote

StevenC819 wrote:
Have a 70's Tuff Tub Body with a 60's steering column. I want to install a GM column from 68 to 76 and wonder if anyone has done this. I would be grateful to speak to you about which one you used and what modifications you did.

i used a column from a early 80's gm front wheel drive car. ended up doing some custom stuff, used a center section from a 80's truck cut to fit and then had the machine shop cut and weld the vw cross to that shaft
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623198
page 2 is the only shots i have of it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: