Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first type 3!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3! Reply with quote

Yesterday I got the front turn signal seals, hood seal, rear turn signals, hatch and engine seal replaced. New tires showed up while I was out picking up some cleaning supplies. Will have the new wheels and tires mounted tomorrow.

So today I got my new wheels and tires installed. Old wheels and hardware are going up for sale soon. Ran into an issue with a tie rod end so browsed the classifieds and found what I needed. Going to make another huge order with ISP within the week. I got the left rear window rubber installed with new trim, what a pain in the ass that was! Outer pop out seal installed for now. I will have to take it back out eventually and hope it does not get ruined or order a new set as the inner pop out window seal needs replaced but I ran into a problem. So my question here is what is the best way to remove the tiny little screws that hold the pop out window frame together. They are phillips, but two of the heads are rounded. Drill and replace or is there a better way to tackle this problem?

So here are a few more pics of Uwes with his new wheels and tires.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3! Reply with quote

I also took a break to go to a local flea market and found me some vintage vw toys and a 1967 JOCO, KS license plate! Now to go back to the DMV.... my favorite place.. Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: My first type 3! Reply with quote

Friday evening I met up with a fellow local vw sambanista to sell some wheels and on the way home I lost power. I knew it was bad as it felt like I was running on 2 cyls. Took the valve cover off the next day on the 1/2 side and found a head bolt laying in the head and the other 3 very loose. The engine had over-heated and I was hoping to get lucky and retorque all said bolts and everything would be ok.... nope. 3 of those studs free spin in the case. So here are my questions.

1) Buy or build a new motor? I’m only looking at long blocks currently.

2) If I buy a motor has anyone dealt with or have opinions about Chico, Blodgetts, Powerhaus or Mofoco?

3) What would be the biggest motor that I could build or buy and still use the stock carbs? 1641? 1680? 1776? My square also still has the stock trans in it as well. The carbs are good and I don’t really want to rejet or mess with them as they seem to be dialed in.

I have the green light from the wife to do either and I want to keep the stock motor and rebuild it one day just not now. I would like a little more power but not go to crazy. I look forward to you type 3 experts for advice and opinions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tattoo_5678 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: My first type 3! Reply with quote

tattoo_5678 wrote:
Friday evening I met up with a fellow local vw sambanista to sell some wheels and on the way home I lost power. I knew it was bad as it felt like I was running on 2 cyls. Took the valve cover off the next day on the 1/2 side and found a head bolt laying in the head and the other 3 very loose. The engine had over-heated and I was hoping to get lucky and retorque all said bolts and everything would be ok.... nope. 3 of those studs free spin in the case. So here are my questions.

1) Buy or build a new motor? I’m only looking at long blocks currently.

2) If I buy a motor has anyone dealt with or have opinions about Chico, Blodgetts, Powerhaus or Mofoco?

3) What would be the biggest motor that I could build or buy and still use the stock carbs? 1641? 1680? 1776? My square also still has the stock trans in it as well. The carbs are good and I don’t really want to rejet or mess with them as they seem to be dialed in.

I have the green light from the wife to do either and I want to keep the stock motor and rebuild it one day just not now. I would like a little more power but not go to crazy. I look forward to you type 3 experts for advice and opinions. Thanks in advance.

I've got an all aluminum case MOFOCO engine in my Notch. I love it, now that I've gone to an electric fuel pump (it kept vapor locking the mechanical pumps). It's just a lowly 1600, but I've driven it to all sorts of places, and in extreme heat too without fail.
If you're not wanting to re-jet, going to a 1600 is about your only choice. A 1641 isn't that much bigger, but has thinner cylinder walls.
You can modify the carbs with bigger vents, and re-jet for a larger engine though. Then you could go to a 1776, an 1835, a 1915 or even a 2110.
I'm sure others will chime in. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3! Reply with quote

Honestly if you want power torque and OMG giddy up go, go with the type 4 engine and don't look back.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3! Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Honestly if you want power torque and OMG giddy up go, go with the type 4 engine and don't look back.

I want to keep everything under the stock deck lid and I’d also like to re-use my stock carbs. I want a few extra ponies but not go crazy.
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3! Reply with quote

I think I’m gonna go with the metal dash look. I have a ISP dash pad and the fit and look is horrible. Cottage cheese thighs of a large woman looks better than this dash when installed. The trim that fits in the windshield groove is also a terrible fit. It’s very loose.. Nothing seems to be fitting right or working out as if lately so I am gonna take a break from this thing. I have other things that need attention right now. Mad Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: