Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

air cooled VW- NEGATIVE emission vehicle?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: air cooled VW- NEGATIVE emission vehicle? Reply with quote

Energy gurus, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
With all the recent interest in lower emission/hybrid/electric/bio-fuel vehicles, I got to thinking- Can an argument be made that a 30-50 year old VW could be considered a negative emission vehicle? Before you scoff, hear me out-
In all the discussion about miles per gallon, little mention is made of the TOTAL "greenhouse gas" emissions of a new vehicle- the emissions from manufacturing raw materials, then fabricating the raw materials into parts, then assembling the parts, then transporting the finished parts to the assembly plant, then assembling those parts, then transporting the finished product to the show room. All of those sources of emissions, even before the car hits the road. then, add the emissions that come from manufacturing replacement parts, and the atmospheric impact of disposing of the vehicle at the end of it's expected lifespan.
Then, with people purchasing a new vehicle every four to five years, the whole cycle begins again for each buyer.
My theory is that even including the emissions from our admittedly less "green" vehicles, the TOTAL emissions resulting from ownership and operation of an aircooled VW over a 15 year period would be lower than that of a newlow/no emission new vehicle. Ergo, NEGATIVE emission. No manufacturing emissions, no freight emissions, only spare parts production and shipping emissions, and of course operation emissions.
Hmmmmm, i wonder if i can get a grant to study this?
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can I deduct the purchase price and maintenance costs of my beetle from my income taxes?
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left out one important piece of the puzzle though. As a group we leak more oil than the Exxon Valdez. Twisted Evil

No matter how green we are on the front end, that pretty much screws us overall. Although, you're right, the environmental impact in driving an existing car is token compared to the total cost of creating one.

Practical Classics (the UK auto mag) used to preach that 20 years ago and they made a pretty good case. Job loss was always the problem, but they had some interesting numbers about that as well. Basically their point was that all the auto workers would become auto mechanics and spend their days repairing old cars instead of building new ones-- the money would actually have more impact since the mechanics would have it instead of GM and Toyota. It would stay in the community. Sort of the Wal-mart vs the local retailers argument all over again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they stopped makeing so many new cars
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
You left out one important piece of the puzzle though. As a group we leak more oil than the Exxon Valdez. Twisted Evil

We do leak a lot of oil, but aren't we just leaking it on to an endless 100ft wide swath of asphalt that is already cut through the pristine wilderness? Wink

By the way, the average age of my fleet of vehicles has been in rapid decline in the last couple years. One of the reasons that I drive VW's is the fact that I don't have to pay several hundred dollars worth of car payments every month.
Not to mention the fact that they are flippin' cool.
Billet_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah

flippin'

CTD Fabrication
WharfRat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldnt calling a vw "flippin cool" fall into the same karmic category of painting flames on a beetle?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to kick around town and stuff short trip to work and back they are great...when it comes to trips on the interstate the firebird is what we use. and it to has the "flippin" factor built in.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bljones,
You are absolutely correct.
Car recycling, in the form of extended use of vehicles over several times the normal 150000 mile auto lifespan, saves enormous amounts of energy.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
WharfRat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you use biodiesel. Very Happy
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WharfRat wrote:
unless you use biodiesel. Very Happy

Again, correct.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few years ago I got into a discussion with a guy in NJ who was in charge of a "issue owners a credit toward a new car to get old cars off the road and crush them" program to save energy from the less fuel efficient cars (he worked for one of the big oil comapanies)

his opinion was that my VW was just the kind of car that they were targeting.

I argued along the lines of bljones and the guy couldnt go there- he couldnt get past the idea of making new 40mpg cars vs old 25 mpg cars that had already incurred their "energy debt"

The discussion deteriorated after I questioned his basic intelligence and ability to reason. I think the phrase "stupid moron" might have had something to do with it.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a VW Bus emits more crap out the back in 1,000 miles than a new car does in 100,000 miles or more.

Just take a new ULEV engine and put it in a Bus.
Split Decision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
a few years ago I got into a discussion with a guy in NJ who was in charge of a "issue owners a credit toward a new car to get old cars off the road and crush them" program to save energy from the less fuel efficient cars (he worked for one of the big oil comapanies)

his opinion was that my VW was just the kind of car that they were targeting.

I argued along the lines of bljones and the guy couldnt go there- he couldnt get past the idea of making new 40mpg cars vs old 25 mpg cars that had already incurred their "energy debt"

The discussion deteriorated after I questioned his basic intelligence and ability to reason. I think the phrase "stupid moron" might have had something to do with it.

Next time ask him where all the lead and acid from "clean" hybrids is gonna go when it's spent.

On year seven of the "I'll get it done next week" engine rebuild.

74superTN wrote:
Just seems these days that unless you are dragging your engine on the ground and have crazy negative camber, people seem like you're doing it all wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the energy it took to make those hybrid batteries.
They are hellatiously energy-intensive to produce.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I think a VW Bus emits more crap out the back in 1,000 miles than a new car does in 100,000 miles or more.

Just take a new ULEV engine and put it in a Bus.

Only if you don't give a crap about keeping that engine in proper optimum working order. I've had "smogable" motors pass the test with all the emissions crap taken out of them! Razz
P-Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this argument when people claim that old cars create more polution. Also, look at Cuba. They have had to make due with the same cars for the past 45+ years. They may be 50% body filler and powered by Russian/Fiat motors, but it still looks like a '57 Chevy.
WharfRat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

along these same lines, in the most recent scientific american i think it was, there was an article about how hydrogen fuel is not cleaner than a gas electric hybrid car because the hydrogen fuel would be produced largely by plants powered by dirty coal, etc. i just skimmed the article, but that ws the basic gist of it.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key for clean hydrogen would be to produce it from renewable enrgy (solar, wind, wave etc). Not really much point if you're getting it by burning coal!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WharfRat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regardless of their merits or lack thereof, much research is being done on alternative fuels for automobiles that can use renewable resources. is there, or is anyone working on an engine oil from a renewable resource? if we run out of petroleum, all the alternative fuel in the world wont matter if we cant lubricate our engines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: