Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

My local VW store has a front disc brake conversion special going on. I'm thinking of picking up the "Econo Quality" set for my 73 Super which I've been told is an EMPI product, made mostly in China. The "Good" quality set for $100 more is still mostly made in China, but has some components made in Brazil.

Has anyone ever used these particular disc brake conversion sets before? I'm not looking for anything fancy (particularly not looking for anything that will break the bank) so that's why I'm deciding to go with one of these budget sets.

https://imgur.com/a/Te7znRx
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I have purchased and installed front disc brakes from Empi for years. I figure if something goes wrong with the brakes and The outcome is less than favorable, my family has a deep pocket to go after!

I hate saying this, but I have not had any issues, knock on wood, yet.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

When I got my 69 standard, it disks on it. They were partially frozen. I replace them with empi and they work very well. Note that I did have really bad squealing with the supplied disk brake pads. I swapped them out for a pair from autozone and have had no issues since. I have also been watching wear patterns and have found no issues.

so, although its not a super, I have had no issues.
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

If you guys don't mind me asking, what did you all pay for your EMPI kits?
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Don't know if this is your set or not:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2855.html
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Pretty much looks like it. The one from the local VW place is $215 and looks like it includes quite a bit more hardware as well
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I received my Empi front disc conversion as a birthday present, five or six years ago. My wife paid $229 for the Super Beetle kit. I’ve had no issues with the conversion, except for initial squealing, due to the supplied pads which were apparently too soft. I had planned to replace them but they haven’t worn much, and the squealing stopped after awhile.

This kit contained well-made rotors, pads, calipers, metal brake lines that required bending, and all the hardware—including spacers for centering the caliper. No new bearings, races, or inner seal, however.

Since five years have passed, i would have expected the price to go up; but the Econo set you’re looking at is somehow even cheaper—and it seems it contains new bearings, on top of what I got. I would be leery of that one. Chinese bearings are not the best, from all I’ve heard. And even without the bearings, your kit is still cheaper? This kit may not be the same Empi setup I got.

I’d ask the vendor why the “Good” kit is $100 more. For all you know, the Econo setup may not even be Empi.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I have the Empi front disc conversion on my 68 Sedan. Fitment and function are good. With the exception of the drop spindles, all parts are replacements OEM disc brake components for the later Karmann Ghia and Type 3 (correct me if wrong). I haven't put alot of miles on my Bug, but what I have driven this brake setup works good enough for me.

-Nick-
rjplumer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Recently installed the EMPI disc brake conversion kit on my 74 Standard Bug and I think it works great. I just had to make sure they were bled properly but afterwards they worked great. So far they work great although I haven't put a lot of miles on it yet. It's a fairly simple swap although. You'll need to replace wheel bearings too.
Current VW: 1974 VW Bug(Standard) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8505350#8505350
Previous VW: 1971 VW Super Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I bought mine off Amazon for $377.00 with the dropped spindles included.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Uberchin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

In my opinion, a 'good disc brake kit that was made for the vehicle is almost always better than the drum brakes they replace. This implies that they are properly installed, bled,and the rest of the brake system is in good operating condition.
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Front Disc Brake Conversion - 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

So I ended up getting the "economy" kit, but paid a bit extra for better bearings. Everything went smoothly on one side, but unfortunately one of the rotors is out of tolerance, as one of the races for the bearings is turning inside its passage in the rotor. I see why these were the cheap ones, but at least they're fully warrantied.

So now the poor Beetle has to sit on jackstands for a day until I can get the replacement rotor when it comes in tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: