Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pushrod Tube Removal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterfeathers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

Any advice on how to remove the pushrod tubes with the highest likelihood they can be reused.

Do you loosen the heads before or after removing the tubes?

I have some ring nosed pliers I was planning to use for the job are these the best tool to avoid crushing the tubes?

Whats the best method of re-stretching the tubes for re-installation?

Any other advice a n00b should know?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

Ahoy,

Well, it might help to tell what engine you have, maybe the model year?

I'd say more engines have the standard tubes installed that are one piece things with flexible/springy things at each end. Those you need to take the head off to get out without destroying them.

Some engines have tubes that are two piece, with o-rings that can be installed without taking the head off.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

On mynair cooled:

Remove valve cover
Take the two bolts off the rocker arm mounting bolts
Remove the rockers
Remove the push rods
Grasp the push rod tube, and give it a twist, and pull outward on the tube.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

WestfaliaMike wrote:
...Grasp the push rod tube, and give it a twist, and pull outward on the tube.

I take it this does not permit the tubes to be reused?

The OP hopes to reuse the tubes but that seems like more work than slash & burn replacing with collapsibles.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

You can reuse the tubes if they are not bent. You want to replace the o-rings on the tubs. Use the proper heat rated o-rings.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

He meant, pull outward from the case and towards the head. Don't bend it down in the middle.

Hans
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

The tubes on Waterboxer engines can not be reused unless you pull the heads, which is a very big job, so you don't want to go there, instead you want to use collapsible tubes.

On an aircooled engines the tubes are installed differently and are easy to remove and replace.
misterfeathers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

My bad. Yes for a 1989 2.1L .

I'm in the process of removing the heads anyways for the job. I have taken off the rocker arm and removed the push rods and have started to loosen the 8 head nuts but the pushrod tubes still seem pretty stuck in there. I'm worried that if I apply to much pressure to torque the tube it will collapse.

It sounds like the best bet is to loosen the heads first then remove the push rods? Just wanted to make sure I had the order right as it doesn't mention in the bentley.

Thanks!!
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

Head gaskets
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

On the wbx engines, the stock tubes are crushed into place when the head is bolted down. Remove the heads and then the tubes will be freed up. Some people have stretched the tubes out afterwards and reused them. Personally, I would go with the spring loaded tubes. When you use the spring loaded ones you can installl them later and don't have to fool around with the tubes when you are focusing on bolting down the head.

Hans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

I was plagued by a PO having put in all collapsible tubes. T3 Pilot recommended that I try these:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-4109

also seen in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690863

I've installed them, and they work very well, and are actually fairly low cost. The re-use of original style tubes is iffy at best. So, if you are already going to put a new set in, the cost difference needs to be look at.

If you do re-use your original tubes, you should at least put in new end seals (I bet you got those in the engine seal kit, right?). After you get the whole thing back together, you can then look around and see which ones leak, and then order the new set of CIP1 collapsible tubes, and just replace the ones that are leaking. That way, you'll have a couple spares to use when you get into trouble with a rock or stick or someone's rake that fell out of their truck on the highway....
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

OP, I re-used my tubes and have been leak free (from the push rod tubes. The oil pump cover, that's a different story...) for about a year and a half now. I was replacing water jacket seal, and a bunch of other ancillaries, so heads came off.

They're easy to stretch back into correct length, which is listed in the Bentley, although I can't remember the length. I marked it on a straight edge, taped the straight edge down, stretched by hand, measure, repeat until spot on. My engine gasket kit did come with the new end seals and push rod tubes are sharp on the ends- wear gloves.

Have fun.

Last edited by mikemtnbike on Thu May 31, 2018 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
misterfeathers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
OP, I re-used my tubes and have been leak free (from the push rod tubes. The oil pump cover, that's a different story...) for about a year and a half now. I was replacing water gasket seal, and a bunch of other ancillaries, so heads came off.

They're easy to stretch back into correct length, which is listed in the Bentley, although I can't remember the length. I marked it on a straight edge, taped the straight edge down, stretched by hand, measure, repeat until spot on. My engine gasket kit did come with the new end seals and push rod tubes are sharp on the ends- wear gloves.

Have fun.

So helpful!! Thanks so much!!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

misterfeathers- if you loosen the heads enough to take the pushrod tubes off , you have a lot more work to do. At a minimum, you need to re-seal the head nuts and the waterjacket gasket. Honestly, I don't think you can reseal the waterjacket gasket in situ. You're going to have to pull the heads all the way off and replace the big gasket, which it's probably due for anyway.

That there is why a lot of people just carefully cut the old tubes out and replace with collapsible ones.

Lots of good resources on pulling heads et all in FAQ, but I really like this from the Gerry.

http://gerry.vanagon.com/files/technical/HeadGasketProcedure/
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

If you're pulling the heads anyway, then just remove all the headbolts and pull the heads.

The tubes will:
A. Stick to the case
B. Stick to the head
C. Fall out

I guess you're mostly concerned about C. so just be sure to catch them or cushion their drop. I'd be far more focused on making sure the cyls don't stick to the head if you're not planning to mess with the pistons.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

So to clarify, can you take out the push rod tubes in a way that you can reuse them without unbolting the head??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

No. Just replace the crush tubes with spring loaded aftermarket versions.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

What aftermarket tubs do you recommend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

D78Q85V87 wrote:
What aftermarket tubs do you recommend?

T3 Pilot recommended that I try these:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-4109

also seen in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690863

I've installed them, and they work very well, and are actually fairly low cost.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Tube Removal Reply with quote

Any tips on removing the collapsible tubes? They are hard to get a grip on and take a lot of force to compress the spring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: