Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

I found a sick deal on craigslist for some 16" CLK320s. 4 set with spare tire for $350. They were even previously on a Vanagon - so I knew they would fit.

Long story short, I needed to replace front rotors to run new spacers. Next thing I know it - I'm doing a full suspension rebuild.

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After:

What I was working with: cracked bushings, split boots. It rode awesome - the joints were in decent shape minus the boots.

I try to do a job once so I will not have to revisit it in future. So I may have went overboard on this experience.

Yanked everything out: 15 hours
Each lower control arm to ball joint adapter (early style) had one seized bolt. One front shock bolt was seized.

I had a lot of surface rust. I couldn't just POR15 and expect good results. Seemed too easy to me. So - I started cleaning up the undercarriage. This was a miserable process. Sitting and rolling in dirt with the van on jackstand. It killed my back. I bought an extension on my dremel and used small little wire brushes. I bought cheap ones on amazon. Probably went through 40 of them to reach hard to get places. That with a degreaser and an angle grinder with wire brush.

Cleaning front undercarriage: 40 hours

Paint: 5 hours. My favorite part. After spending 40 hours of grinding and scrubbing it was nice to get the ball moving. At this point I had all my parts on hand ready to be put back together. I used SprayMax 2K Epoxy Rust Cure for primer (3680032). 2 coats of primer. I was amazed how precise that rattle can was. It was my first 2 part rattle can - pure amazing. Had a flat matte ivory look to it (color of my van).

I had a 24 hour window to put on my paint so I sprayed like 4 hours after primer. I bought color-matched car grade automotive paint from Sherman Williams. It was $150 for a quart! After all the work I spent on scrubbing - no way I was about to back down for some cheaper paint.

I mixed it together and ...well it didn't look anywhere like my color. I gave them the color code at Sherman. Maybe it goes on dark and dries. NOPE

Next morning I check and its same color. I call Sherman up and say, what up bro!? They said they messed up and will give me right color for free. That's more like it. Luckily I was able to meet the window and did not have to sand any. 2 coats of top coat. I sprayed 3M rattle can undercoating in the fender wells after the top coats.

Assembly - 10 hours a side for front, 5 hours a side for rear.
This was fun part. But first - lets make sure we do this right.

Old parts were sent off to be blasted and painted.

I had a table full of parts. Fox Shocks, powerflex bushings, Moog lower joints, Lemforder Upper joints (bad move - these were made in china, but easily replaced), VW steering grease, Moog tie rod ends, Zimmerman front rotors, Van Cafe front bearing kit. Oh and T3 was extremely helpful. I bought all new replacement bolts for front suspension. His website made it so easy for my suspension rebuild. Even the bolts were labeled in bags!

Lower ball joint 'jig' made

Someone recommended I remove the expansion tanks and replace gaskets. Good idea.

What a mess! It's easy to get carried away when you're having fun

Upper control arm comparison.

New lug studs, lug bolts, and 10mm spacers for the Mercedes rims.

I plan to add a 'wax' undercoating in the front. I did not 'clean up' the rear because I did not want to drop CV and rear trailing arms. I will save that job for another time - It takes awhile for that undercarriage restoration.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

well done!

how's it drive?
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Nice work. Thanks for posting up all the photos.

A great artist (Robert Irwin) once said that a great craftsman cares how thing are finished even where you can't see them (I think he said this referring to painting the back side of the dashboard in an old hot rod). The finish of your suspension, especially the Burley UCAs is bling only a vanagon fanatic can appreciate.

A couple of questions- what are you ride heights now? What were they before? Your van is an 85?

Did you need spring compressors to get the old springs out? The new ones in?

Is your van manual or automatic? How are the CV joints after the lift?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

erste wrote:
well done!

how's it drive?

Thanks! It drives really well! I no longer get thrown around by semi's flying by. I love it. I think that's mainly the 16" rims but even still with the Fox - its still a smooth ride. I have not had chance to go offroading to really test them out.

llilibel03 wrote:
Nice work. Thanks for posting up all the photos.
The finish of your suspension, especially the Burley UCAs is bling only a vanagon fanatic can appreciate.

A couple of questions- what are you ride heights now? What were they before? Your van is an 85?

Did you need spring compressors to get the old springs out? The new ones in?

Is your van manual or automatic? How are the CV joints after the lift?

I have an 83.5. I did not take any measurements before. I was running the stock 14" rims also.

Oh I forgot to mention I did add a GW .5" spring spacer to the driver side rear on account of the westy lean. I am sitting 19" in front from center of rim to top of fender and 18.5" in the rear. Nose up attitude.

During first drive I did hear some popping that was sounding like it was coming from the rear passenger. It stopped however. my CV's looked to be in good shape but I figure I'd play it safe and order some new CV joints from T3. I have not installed them yet. However my friend with a similar van installed the 944 CV's and still had some popping noise - Chris asked if he had GW lift springs and that they pop - so maybe that's what my noise was - regardless I'm not hearing any noises now.

Quote:
"Why 944 CVs? Because they allow for higher CV/axle angles before binding compared to the stock Vanagon CV joints. This is important with lifted 2wds and Syncros. Lifting can put the stock CVs in a bind which results in premature failure. 944 CVs can help prevent this."

As far as spring compressor - I did rent a set. However - the rental ones are a PITA to 'install' the spring. I went ghetto on this. I know you all are going to flip shit, and yes I know it was dangerous. I compressed the GW lift springs with a 1/2" ratchet gun. Then I put on 16x 175lb zip ties per spring, removed spring compressors slowly then stuck it up in there. I bought a big pack off amazon and it was like $30 in zip ties. I did it - its done - you might lose a body part or die if you do what I did.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Thu May 31, 2018 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Very nice, the only thing I would have suggested you do differently, would have been to use late spindles and brakes.
When you have it that far apart it wouldn't have cost too much more.

619 201 0310
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
Very nice, the only thing I would have suggested you do differently, would have been to use late spindles and brakes.
When you have it that far apart it wouldn't have cost too much more.

Thanks for the suggestion - it no doubt crossed my mind. I tried to find a pair honestly. Cheapest I could find was $200-250 per spindle. I wanted to do the big brake upgrade. Also I currently do not have power steering. I have heard its very difficult to turn without power steering.

During my Subaru swap I plan to add power steering. I'm on the lookout for spindles!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

That looks great! Thanks for posting all the photos.

Kudos on the innovative and potentially deadly use of zip ties. Laughing
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Nice! The new 2wd billet arms look awesome. Even people not in the know would see all that color going on and realize something is up.

Any reason you didn't use larger wire brushes on a hex shank and then use the Dremel for the harder to reach areas?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Nice! The new 2wd billet arms look awesome. Even people not in the know would see all that color going on and realize something is up.

Any reason you didn't use larger wire brushes on a hex shank and then use the Dremel for the harder to reach areas?

I did use my dad's cordless drill with that attachment also - forgot to mention. I really didn't want to take it all the way to bare metal. I was wanting to just remove the factory undercoating/dirt/grime/rust. I could have taken my angle grinder with brush attachment and did the job in probably 10 hours if I did that.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

That’s about what it took me to do the same job. It looks great. John
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

erste wrote:
well done!

how's it drive?

Came back to answer this. It's incredible. I took trips with 3x 200+lb people in it, van loaded down - and was amazed how it handled. It was honestly like there wasn't a load on the van (minus going up hills).

But yeah - I love it. Stability with 16" rims is crazy game changer too. I look forward to having T3's upgraded sway bar one day.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

wow, nice job! thanks for all the photos. I have the GW 1.5" lift on my 2WD and eventually used Burley's UCA for 2WD. They solved all my alignment issues. At that time he only had the sexy UCAs for syncros ~ now I see the 2WD are getting the love too. Well done!
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

If I ever get something more valuable than just a tiptop weekender this is definitely a build I will seriously be looking into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Thanks! Some mistakes/choices I should have made were

1. T3 swaybar and endlinks. I plan to change this
2. Big brakes - I would need to have paid $400+ for late model spindles, plus $500+ for big brake kit.
3. USED MORE BUSHING SNOT! I think my sway bar is squeaking.
4. Used Alikamotorsports Steering rack bushings (sorry man didn't know you made em).
5. Used WhiteLine bushings at the LCA and the steering rack (Harder durometer!)

6? Maybe used Schwenk springs instead of GoWesty. We shall see if they sag.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Just FYI, I've got about 25k on my gowesty 1.5 lift springs and they haven't sagged at all. Or, if that have its negligible, and the forward/aft rake is the same. They have worked out great for me.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Well, I guess that just proves that the quality control standards used by the manufacturer is not consistently employed.
Too bad, because a lot of us got screwed.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

True dat.

Schwenks Rule.

— Colin Chapman
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Thanks! Some mistakes/choices I should have made were

1. T3 swaybar and endlinks. I plan to change this
2. Big brakes - I would need to have paid $400+ for late model spindles, plus $500+ for big brake kit.
3. USED MORE BUSHING SNOT! I think my sway bar is squeaking.
4. Used Alikamotorsports Steering rack bushings (sorry man didn't know you made em).
5. Used WhiteLine bushings at the LCA and the steering rack (Harder durometer!)

6? Maybe used Schwenk springs instead of GoWesty. We shall see if they sag.

Which steering rack bushings were you recommending? I couldn't tell which ones you installed versus which ones you wish you had installed? I'm about to do mine as well so looking at options. Lemme know!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:

Which steering rack bushings were you recommending? I couldn't tell which ones you installed versus which ones you wish you had installed? I'm about to do mine as well so looking at options. Lemme know!

I installed all Powerflex thinking it was the best. However most expensive doesn't mean the best!

I believe White Line is the move for steering and front lower control arm bushings ! I would talk to Chris at T3 regarding this.

The reason I think this is because of Alikamotorsports Instagram post. InSyncro said "insyncro_restoration
Nice use of the harder durometer Whiteline bushings at the LCA and steering rack!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp0GB_Vncvh/

Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Nice thanks. Crazy the Whitelines are half the price...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: