Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

Looking for suggestions to get my van shipped/towed about 600 miles home from northern CA to southern CA.

Long story is that we are traveling and my 86 syncro is dead in Garberville, CA, stuck in 3rd. Linkage is okay, so it’s pointing toward trans 3-4 death. We’re considering towing to German Motorworks in Arcata, north of Eureka. They would get trans rebuilt at German Transaxle in Bend. There would be some added expense, travel and logistics along with this.

So considering alternative of getting the van shipped home to rebuild locally at Rancho Transaxle. If you know any good shippers (or have other ideas) I’d love to hear.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

sorry for your problems and dilemma.

and I don't have any towing recommendations

but any thoughts to a uhaul and a tow bar/dolly/trailer

to flat tow you'd need to remove the drive shaft.. and CV drive axles
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

Here's what I would do:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I doubt very much you're going to find someone to move it (and you) cheaper than that.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

That's what I had in mind above. I wonder if would be cheaper to rent the truck from another rental place
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

Also... please consider the guard transaxle drop in upgrades for your rebuild. You can piss a lot of coin at any number of “rebuilders” and end up with a time bomb. There are known issues that quite a few samba members have worked hard to correct. Knowledge is power.

J
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I wonder if would be cheaper to rent the truck from another rental place

Budget isn't cheaper and the nearest Penske is over 100 miles away. U-Haul is probably the best bet if you go the DIY route.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

If DIY is $570, it may be worth a call to a shipper. I have used 4 Corners in the past to ship my van to NY and the price has varied in the $1k - 1,400 range. NY is a hell of a lot further than 600 miles, so....

http://www.fourcornerstransportservices.com
Some people call him Maurice...
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

We broke down in Dickinson ND last summer. We decided on the U-Haul method, cost close to $800 in the end to get back to Mn. I could have had a shop in ND repair but then that would have cost us 2-3 days in a hotel, food, and stuck in ND with nothing to do with 2 kids and 2 dogs. It was worth it to get home that night. I was also able to diagnose the problem and not rush to conclusions, which many shops will do. I also was able to put the parts in that I wanted and do it myself so I know it is done the way I want it.

I did consider a hauling company but the estimate was close to $1000 as some had said. These companys also pick-up and drop-off at their convenience, is what I understand. I didnt like that.

U-Haul seems expensive but I feel that it was the best option for the situation.

Good luck
Pat
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

Contact a shipping broker. I am not sure of what road you are on but if its a major throughway and a truck don't have a full load you might be able to get a really good deal last minute.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

I know it's also not what the OP asked for, but I'll slip this in here

towbar for under $100.. and a Uhaul pickup/van.

as mentioned, with trans stuck in 3rd, you'd need to remove the driveshaft and rear half shafts. might be too much work for the OP in a time of crisis..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Contact a shipping broker...

I know people are wary of brokers (and should be) but I have used this outfit a couple of times and it went well:

http://acrossusaautotransport.com/

They are in Florida but appear to have specific services for California transport:

http://acrossusaautotransport.com/services/Auto-Transport-California

I always have their number with me when I travel and have discussed with them what we would do in an urgent situation (broken down in middle-of-nowhere).
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

I used the U-Haul truck/trailer method, no problems.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

James is on vacation with his girlfriend and his dog and he's on his way to visit me in Cottage Grove,OR - he made 600 miles and broke down 300 miles from destination.

it's very unfortunate for him to break down so far away from me otherwise I'd lend him the gearbox of my 2nd Syncro which was rebuilt few months ago with about 100 miles on it.

now about the logistic for him to get home and together we already talk about it over the phone.

1. rent a truck with a trailer and tow it home (my recommendation)
2. get a car shipper at ship it home, rent a car.
3. tow it to the nearest shop, leave it there for repair, rent a car to get home, take a fly back later to get the van (the most expensive option)

update:
after I talk to him on the phone this morning: he will get AAA to tow it to Ukiah (80 miles South of him), get a truck with a trailer and tow it straight to Rancho Transaxle near his home.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

If he has the AAA 200 mile towing he can get it 200 miles, then have it dropped off and call in the remaining 100 mile tow. BTDT.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
If he has the AAA 200 mile towing he can get it 200 miles, then have it dropped off and call in the remaining 100 mile tow. BTDT.

Me too - but I think he is 600 miles from home (which is where he wants the van to be).
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
update:
after I talk to him on the phone this morning: he will get AAA to tow it to Ukiah (80 miles South of him), get a truck with a trailer and tow it straight to Rancho Transaxle near his home.

Good plan - hopefully the U-Haul location will let a trailer go on a 1-way rental.
I have to return a U-Haul trailer after a 200 mile tow. These trailers are gold to certain places - they only have one or two of them.

Wasn't a real big deal, since we had our own tow vehicle and the trailer was $60 all day, but timing wise it was tight with pick-up, drop off, etc.

Perhaps with the truck too for 600 miles it will not be a problem. Hopefully so, for this is the best option IMHO.
Shipping it means someone likely has to meet the shipper, you need a location to hold the van until they show up, then there is meeting them again for drop-off.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

If you have it shipped you also have to get yourself home at additional cost. You need to factor that into any price comparison.

I did a 300+/- mile one way U-haul rental for $300 last year.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

Rent out a $1500 trailer for one week for $300

And people think capitalism is dead.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

Towed van to U-Haul in Ukiah. Tow driver helped me load it onto the trailer, which was a PITA. Tipped him well and we are rolling. Thanks so much all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down: Shipping/Towing Company Recommendations? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Rent out a $1500 trailer for one week for $300

And people think capitalism is dead.

Huh, I didn't realize U-Haul buys trailers for one-time usage. Popcorn

chimivee wrote:
Towed van to U-Haul in Ukiah. Tow driver helped me load it onto the trailer, which was a PITA. Tipped him well and we are rolling. Thanks so much all.

Unfortunate that your road trip came to an early end, but good to hear you're safely headed back home. Smile
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: