Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Das Ding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

The float stuck on my Chinese Solex 34 Pic 3 carburetor last week. I caught it quick, and changed the oil, put some sea foam in the carb and it started right up in the garage. The float was unstuck.

I tried to start it today and "ca chunk." I stopped real quick and turned the motor over by hand. It will turn counter clock wise but it would not go clock wise.

I pulled the valve covers and gasoline pours out.

What the crap over?

With both valve covers off I work the engine by hand counter clock wise and now in turns freely clock wise.

What happened here?

What is my next step?

There's no gas in the oil.

The valves look fine.

I do not want to damage the engine trying to get it going.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Zane

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

Fuel could have filled the intake via the carb then passed into the rocker box via a valve, but the only way (I think?) it could take this path is through the valve guide which is a small passage but I guess it's possible, especially if the guide is worn.

If this were my engine I would drain the oil and refill. I would remove the plugs, inject some engine oil into the cylinders via the plug holes and turn the engine over by hand. If that seems OK I'd then turn the engine over (still no plugs) with the starter. I would not use the carb again.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

Could be the fuel pump dumping gas directly into the case.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

Fuel Pump, the diaphragm dries out and splits, have seen it many times. Once saw it light the fuel and blow both valve covers clean across the shop.
GB
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

He says “no gas in oil” which points way from pump failing and leaking into the case. Also if the engine is sitting and fuel is leaking into the case from the pump, how could it fill the rocker cover? (it can't?)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
He says “no gas in oil” which points way from pump failing and leaking into the case. Also if the engine is sitting and fuel is leaking into the case from the pump, how could it fill the rocker cover? (it can't?)

How can it fill the valve cover and not drain into the case via the pushrod tubes Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

I miss read that there was no gas in the oil.
Will not answer so late at night.
GB
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:

How can it fill the valve cover and not drain into the case via the pushrod tubes Wink

You make a good point but for sure the fuel can get into the rocker cover from the valve guide and lots will get into the cover before the level gets high enough to drain into the case through the pushrod tube. For example when you remove 3-4 side rocker cover there is almost always quite a bit of oil in the rocker box.
Das Ding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

The fuel pump was replaced last year.

There is gas dripping out of the carb and forming drops on the throttle linkages.

The attached photo fails to capture the droplets.

I will order a kit and rebuild the carburetor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

Pull the airhorn and check the weight of the float and also verify the float is adjust properly. Don't know the spec for the weight off hand but someone here probably does. The float adjustment is in the Bentley. You can also remove and inspect the needle valve and replace just it if need be. I reuse carb airhorn gaskets all the time if the old gaskets aren't ancient or obviously degraded in any way.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

Is it possible it happened when the float stuck? Did U check the valve covers then? Mine filled the crankcase on my van when one carb top loostened up but I didn't check the valve covers either. Plz let us know...I changed my oil & drained the filter and everything seems ok but who knows.Good luck Bill ...73 thing,76 Westy+ 3 Waterpumpers now
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

Gasoline leaks out through the piston rings over night .It is less dense than oil so it will float on the oil and decanter off into the rocker covers through the pushrod tubes as the pushrod tubes are higher than the max oil level in the engine. Very Happy
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

You also had a hydraulic lock issue, as only some cylinders where full of fuel I guess just one side ,the hydraulic lock would only of be on the compression stroke of that side , when you inverted the stroke the piston was moving away from a valve closed compression you then rotated the engine the other way now an open valve stroke ejecting the fuel into the exhaust pipes freeing up the engine. Fuel is uncompressable.
Das Ding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

UPDATE:

My float was full of fuel.

I purchased a rebuild kit, however it did not have a new float.

So I bought a new float.

I put the new float in the carb and installed it on the car.

WAS hoping to get lucky and not rebuild the carburetor.

I made sure not to move any of the adjustment screws.

With a new gasket, I tightened everything down and tried it out.

Car turned over strongly, would run for a few seconds and die.

It was not responsive to the throttle the brief time it ran.

Throttle linkage is tight.

I pushed the car to the side of the garage, and will try it again later.

Am I missing something obvious?

Should I just take the time and rebuild the carburetor?

WHAT A PIA! Confused
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

IDK your problem but maybe some carb cleaner? When I've suspected a stuck float (on other non VW cars) I would strike the side of the carb with a wrench or something other than a hammer a couple times and see if it then started and ran. If it did, I knew it was the float and could go from there.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Cover (was) filled with gasoline Reply with quote

Das Ding wrote:
UPDATE:

My float was full of fuel.

I purchased a rebuild kit, however it did not have a new float.

So I bought a new float.

I put the new float in the carb and installed it on the car.

WAS hoping to get lucky and not rebuild the carburetor.

I made sure not to move any of the adjustment screws.

With a new gasket, I tightened everything down and tried it out.

Car turned over strongly, would run for a few seconds and die.

It was not responsive to the throttle the brief time it ran.

Throttle linkage is tight.

I pushed the car to the side of the garage, and will try it again later.

Am I missing something obvious?

Should I just take the time and rebuild the carburetor?

WHAT A PIA! Confused

If you still have a lot of fuel in your oil, the engine would run rich after startup and maybe die.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: