Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

non return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: non return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud Reply with quote

due to oil leakage I had to clean the fan shroud and discovering that the no return flaps are missing. What is the function? and should I rebuild it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: no return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud Reply with quote

My thread here has some good info:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700300
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: no return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud Reply with quote

Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: no return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud Reply with quote

Unless you are putting your engine in a Type 4 car with a working gas heater don't worry about the ones in the fan shroud as they make little or no difference in the heater output. The ones in the heater booster fan are necessary though.

The ones in the fan shroud tend to break partially off and hang sideways or break fully off and get blown into the heat exchanger, either of which will reduce heat output. I have been running my engines without them for nearly 30 years after having both of the above failures occur and haven't missed them a bit.
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: no return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Unless you are putting your engine in a Type 4 car with a working gas heater don't worry about the ones in the fan shroud as they make little or no difference in the heater output. The ones in the heater booster fan are necessary though.

The ones in the fan shroud tend to break partially off and hang sideways or break fully off and get blown into the heat exchanger, either of which will reduce heat output. I have been running my engines without them for nearly 30 years after having both of the above failures occur and haven't missed them a bit.

So, are you saying that if my internal flaps are bent, don't even bother trying to fix them, just pitch them? Are we talking about the 2.5"x1" little flimsy flaps?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: no return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud Reply with quote

gintaras wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

So, are you saying that if my internal flaps are bent, don't even bother trying to fix them, just pitch them? Are we talking about the 2.5"x1" little flimsy flaps?

When I bought my first Type 4 powered Transporter years ago, I tried to get everything as close to factory as I could, including installing the best set of flaps I could come by. Over the years I experienced flaps failing on one end and getting cocked and jammed in the opening and also breaking off entirely and jamming against the fins in the heat exchanger. Having had to tear into the exhaust multiple times to fix things, I eventually decided that removing the flaps was the best solution, and have not missed them a bit as they do nothing on a Type 4 engine when installed in a Transporter.

If you were to install an electric fan that put out 3-4 times the output of the stock heater booster fan, then they might actually do something, but with the anemic stock booster fan they just don't do anything.

If you want more heat from your heating system read the Blumax thread and follow the ideas therein. By doing the correct upgrades you can get 3 or 4 times the heat into the passenger compartment.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: non return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud Reply with quote

Thanks to Mayor Ratwell
72-79 Bus Heating System
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Heating.html

ratwell wrote:
The booster fan has a powerfull motor.
The other two flaps are in the base of the fan shroud and prevent air from the booster fan from re-entering the engine compartment. Often if there has been exhaust modifications the flaps have been lost or left out. Sometimes they have unknowingly fallen off while driving. They are held in place by a simple pin so if you ever have someone work on your engine be around when they are about to put the fan shroud back on. You will notice (or never have known that you lack) a serious lack of heat if you are missing these flaps.

Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: non return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Thanks to Mayor Ratwell
72-79 Bus Heating System
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Heating.html

ratwell wrote:
The booster fan has a powerfull motor.
The other two flaps are in the base of the fan shroud and prevent air from the booster fan from re-entering the engine compartment. Often if there has been exhaust modifications the flaps have been lost or left out. Sometimes they have unknowingly fallen off while driving. They are held in place by a simple pin so if you ever have someone work on your engine be around when they are about to put the fan shroud back on. You will notice (or never have known that you lack) a serious lack of heat if you are missing these flaps.

Tcash

There is no condition where with the engine running the cooling fan does not produce some pressure as that statement implies, while the tiny motor on the booster fan is anything but powerful, it is totally overcome by the cooling fan at around 1000-1200 crankshaft rpms when its weak output is reduced to zero.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: non return flaps missing in type 4 fan schroud Reply with quote

They make a difference at idle so you still get a decent amount of hot air to say defrost the windshield. That's my take in 40 years of fooling with these things
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: