Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clogged fuel filter
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

Depends on how filthy it is inside, and your comfort level with chemicals, and if your workspace is OK with that, here's some reading to ponder: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378770

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Thanks BusDaddy,

Are you suggesting I don't need to have it serviced by the radiator shop and just use Rustmort or ospho OR should I use either of these treatments after the shop service?

Thanks,

Jeff

You can remove the tank, fill it with a dozen or two of the cut pieces of the heavy chain that accumulate in the chain cutting machine of your local hardware store, shake the tank around until all the loose rust has been freed from the surfaces (a dozen or so sawn off pieces of 3/4" rebar or anything heavy and sharp edged will work), wash the tank out well and then close the various opening off with plugs and tape and add a gallon or so of a dilute muriatic acid solution and slosh it around good repeatedly for an hour or two. (don't burn yourself with the acid!!!!). Drain the acid, wash the tank with clean water and then dump a pint or so of Osphos into the tank and slosh it around and then drain it back into the jug it came from. Remove any tape or plugs you used to seal the tank and let any excess Osphos drain. It will take a day or so for the residual Osphos in the tank to do its thing. I assume the procedure for using Rustmort with be similar.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and link. Much Appreciated.

Jeff
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

So - some of the symptoms I'm experiencing with this dirty tank is that as long as I don't open the throttle up, the engine runs great. But, if I need to put the pedal to the floor (say going up a hill), the engine will hesitate or even backfire. But if I let off on the throttle, everything runs fine. Does this mean that the fuel filter is having to deal with varnish or crap from the tank and cannot supply the carb with the amount of fuel asked for?

The other symptom is realized when I drive the bus and then shut off the engine, it won't start right back up (like going to the store or the gas station)- I have to wait 15 minutes or so before the engine will start; it will crank but not fire up. Now I will say that it's been very hot here (mid-90's) and the temps seem to exacerbate the problem. I imagine this occurance is a result of crap in he tank but could this also be some kind of vapor lock?

Thank You,

Jeff
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

Your carbs are probably blocked somewhere causing you to lean out when flooring it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
So - some of the symptoms I'm experiencing with this dirty tank is that as long as I don't open the throttle up, the engine runs great. But, if I need to put the pedal to the floor (say going up a hill), the engine will hesitate or even backfire. But if I let off on the throttle, everything runs fine. Does this mean that the fuel filter is having to deal with varnish or crap from the tank and cannot supply the carb with the amount of fuel asked for?

The other symptom is realized when I drive the bus and then shut off the engine, it won't start right back up (like going to the store or the gas station)- I have to wait 15 minutes or so before the engine will start; it will crank but not fire up. Now I will say that it's been very hot here (mid-90's) and the temps seem to exacerbate the problem. I imagine this occurance is a result of crap in he tank but could this also be some kind of vapor lock?

Thank You,

Jeff

Likely 2 separate symptoms there.
Crapping out under power could be low fuel pressure or restricted flow like would happen with a plugged up filter or debris in the tank.
No start when hot is usually flooding due to leaking needles and seats (maybe due to fine debris in them) or the gas boiling over in the carbs from heat soak, holding your foot to the floor without pumping usually gets it started in a few extra seconds of cranking.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

Thank You for the reply.

Today, I stalled out downtown in rush hour, right in front of a large semi and a line of cars. Had to push the bus around the corner. It would crank but not fire so I started it by compression (with the help of some kind souls). Drove it home (and it ran fine)

BUT

- today, the tank is coming out! Will take it to a pro shop for cleaning to get it done right. Should I also replace the fuel lines? And it sounds like I need to clean the carb (yes, I have a single progressive - which I will eventually replace with duals).

Again, thank you for your guidance.

Jeff
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Should I also replace the fuel lines?

Why not?, and all the vapor lines and filler neck as well, now is also a good time to look at the fuel sender.

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

I had the tank out a year ago and replaced the filler neck, sender, and vent links - I imagine these will still be OK but will check them just the same.

Looking forward to stall-free driving.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

Progressive Center Mount Carb
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

I lowered the engine today and pulled the tank. You can see from the photos that I'm dealing with rust. I have a bottle of Muriatic acid and will do as suggested in your various replies. One question - how does one plug the holes in the tank to keep the chemicals contained? Taping them shut seems like they would leak.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's what came out after I sloshed some chains and various metal bits of hardware.

I also spoke with the radiator shop and the guy said they don't boil fuel tanks but they steam clean them - will this do me any good?

Again, thank you for all the helpful replies, support, and advice.

Jeff
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

Steam doesn't remove rust, you'll need chemicals for that.
I plug things with a length of hose between the vent nipples and a test cap or blanking cap from the plumbing store and/or an appropriately sized plastic dixie cup or yogurt cup that jams in the larger holes due to it's taper.
The sender hole may be a challenge, some plastic bags balled up inside a rubber glove may jam in there and slow the leakage, don't let it dribble on you.

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

I'm making progress on the tank but there is still some varnish in there.

Through the help of SGKent, who recommended a shop here in Rochester, NY all the way from Sacramento, CA - I dropped the tank off this morning for a full, professional service. Will be glad to stop changing filters and smelling like gasoline.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

I question on filters... can the be place horizontally to the flow of fuel or do I need to place it somewhere where its in vertical position?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged fuel filter Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
I question on filters... can the be place horizontally to the flow of fuel or do I need to place it somewhere where its in vertical position?

Horizontal is fine, but depending on the angle the filter is installed at, it may or may not hold air in it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: