Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early bumpers on late model
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barndoormambo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been covered before, but does anyone run pre71 bumpers on a post 71 model?
Pics if So, please 😁
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

It has been done, but the 72-74 rear fenders have indents molded into them that the fat chick bumpers fit into. You'll be able to see the big indentions behind the rear bumpers unless you weld in new metal to fill the indents. You'll also have to close up the holes for the bumper crash tubes.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

barndoormambo wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before, but does anyone run pre71 bumpers on a post 71 model?
Pics if So, please 😁

In the upper left hand side of the Ghia forum Home Page - just above the Topics list, and immediately to the right of the New Topic button - you will find the forum Search feature.

Do yourself a favor and try searching for previous relevant posts first before starting a new thread.
You'll likely find whatever question you have has been covered here at least once before.
Even if that previous discussion doesn't answer all of your questions, at least it may help you refine down your questions.
Plus, it's nice to add any new questions to the older previously existing topics so that future seekers can more easily find all the discussion on that particular topic.

For example, when I tried searching for the terms "early bumper late model" I found the following relevant threads in the list of results ...

- Replacing 1973 Bumpers with older "towel bar" bumpers
- 1974 coupe bumper options? Will early bumpers fit?
- What are my bumper options for a 74?
- Bumper questions.

... but then I see you're no newb here, so you already knew all of this. Smile

Here's a thought - perhaps one of the manufacturers currently producing replica stainless steel bumpers for the early model Ghias could create a new bumper with the old school looks that simply bolts right up to the late model Ghia bumper mounting struts.

... that way the late model owners can be just as frustrated with poor fitment issues as those early model owners who purchased the replacement stainless steel bumpers! Very Happy
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and try searching for previous relevant posts first before starting a new thread

This could apply to any current question on the forums Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
Do yourself a favor and try searching for previous relevant posts first before starting a new thread

This could apply to any current question on the forums Cool

Indeed!

... and also, I'd venture a guess that the search that would return the most relevant results would be a search for "people who complain about others not using the search function"!

Laughing
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

Early front bumpers fit well and have no styling conflict. For the rear, you could try an early Type 3 rear bumper ('69 and earlier) which has much shorter side sections than an early Ghia rear bumper so that it "could" fit close to your body indents. The rounded front tip of the early Type 3 rear bumper would go well with the rounded rear tip of the early Ghia front bumper. I've not seen this done but just occurred to me. But not that easy to find an early Type 3 rear bumper in nice condition...

FYI the '70 and later Type 3 rear bumper is same as the late Ghia's rear bumper.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

Wear your big bumpers, turn signals and tai lights with pride, there's so few ghia's on the road anymore that no one can see the minor differences....except for sambanistas
barndoormambo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Early front bumpers fit well and have no styling conflict. For the rear, you could try an early Type 3 rear bumper ('69 and earlier) which has much shorter side sections than an early Ghia rear bumper so that it "could" fit close to your body indents. The rounded front tip of the early Type 3 rear bumper would go well with the rounded rear tip of the early Ghia front bumper. I've not seen this done but just occurred to me. But not that easy to find an early Type 3 rear bumper in nice condition...

FYI the '70 and later Type 3 rear bumper is same as the late Ghia's rear bumper.

Many thanks, most helpful Smile
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
It has been done, but the 72-74 rear fenders have indents molded into them that the fat chick bumpers fit into.

Also pre 67 rear bumpers will be too long at the sides because the wheel arches on 67+ models are swept back further
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

my ghia currently appears to have type 3 bumpers on it, here's a couple shots of the rear for you:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

barndoormambo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Early bumpers on late model Reply with quote

crazy tarzan wrote:
my ghia currently appears to have type 3 bumpers on it, here's a couple shots of the rear for you:

That looks great to me 😁..nice -LL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: