Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA Grey Market Vehicle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

pretty_kitty wrote:
Re: VIN; I think the chassis VIN and dash match. As I understand it is the last digits that match from the dash to the chassis. Is that not your understanding?

The few items that concern me is

1) the VIN on the dash does not really match the rig. It is a "Y" when it should be a "W". Would the referee in CA know that deep into ready a VIN?

I defer the answer to your first question to Kamz, I honestly know less than she does about that

To your second question, if the Vin on the vehicle title and the Vin on the Dash, and the Vin on the chassis all show the Y, then no, I dont think verification will say it should be a W.

otoh if chassis says W and title and dash says Y, then Yes, I would say Vin verification would catch a mismatch

I was able to register a ZZZ vin vehicle, a syncro originally sold in Canada, in California. I bought it from someone that had imported it into a part of New Mexico, that had no smog check, and registered it there. I bought it in New Mexico, and over 1 year later moved it to California. I would have had to pay California Sales Tax if I brought it in within less than 1 year of purchase.

The PO gave me a letter from VOA, that they received from the Canadian dealership that sold him the vehicle. The VOA letter satisfied DMV California that the vehicle complied with US federal standards.

The rules may have changed since I did that, and VOA letters are NLA. So If I was in your position, I would contact a registered importer, such as Jeff Schwaia http://autostadtwest.com and get his advice.

I would also contact a BAR Referee https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Referee.html to learn what they will require in order to give the vehicle a bar code sticker to certify that the vehicle complies with CARB https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/homepage rules.

I dont think you need to contact CARB, just BAR. I dont think you need CHP to do a Vin Verification, just DMV. It is possible neither of them will check the chassis Vin, only the dash and title. At least in my experience, there was no chassis Vin verification on my Canadian import, they only looked at the dash plaque and the title, both of which had matching ZZZ vins, and all the other digits.

good luck with your research, I hope you managed to get through the red tape.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

You may want to check with Autostadt West
They have lots of experience.
http://autostadtwest.com

Also, would love to see some photos of these vin plates and stamps.
(and the van!)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

OP finally identified the problem,
VIN on vehicle is different than VIN on paper work.
No way will this fly in any State, even the State it is currently in!

Only a fool would buy this with this knowledge.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captcory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

pretty_kitty wrote:

1) the VIN on the dash does not really match the rig. It is a "Y" when it should be a "W". Would the referee in CA know that deep into ready a VIN?

where does the OP state that the VIN doesn't match the title? did I miss something?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

pretty_kitty wrote:
I believe it is an original panel van. The backside is clean and look original. The outside is also very nice and looks seamless. On top of that it has a bulkhead behind the front seats identical to other panels vans photos I have seen which makes me feel it is the real deal.

With all that being said the VIN should say W if it is a legit panel van not Y as is on the title legally registered out of state.

...the VIN on the dash does not really match the rig. It is a "Y" when it should be a "W".

Okay, so... after two pages we finally get to the heart of the matter.

1) This is a panel pan, originally sold out of the country (indeed making it gray market), that has no emissions control devices, a slapped-on emissions decal in the wrong place, and no federal importation certification. Red flag #1.

2) The VIN on the dash shows a Y for the model type, which means it has a USA VIN, which matches the title. To my knowledge, Volkswagen did not sell panel vans here, thus this European (I presume) van has a USA dash, or a VIN plate swap (technically illegal) took place. As far as I know, all VW's left the factory with VIN/legalese decals on their front door jambs. Red flag #2. I'd honestly like to see a photo of the chassis VIN and dash VIN because something tells me, if this is a genuine factory-built panel van, they won't match, or one/both will show evidence of tampering if they do match.

I concur on contacting Autostadt West. They could answer your questions better than we could. If you really want this van, they could possibly do the federal certification if California requires it. As for the VIN, if the dash VIN matches the title, I don't think you'll have an issue with the DMV/CHP in that regard (the title will simply reflect it being a passenger van), but you'll want to ask someone in the know about that too (AAA titling office, DMV if you're up for it, etc.).

As for a digit being off on a title, I've encountered a few folks in the car world who have indeed had the misfortune in dealing with it thanks to inept DMV employees.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

captcory wrote:
does the OP state that the VIN doesn't match the title?

No, I do not think the OP said that

he did say the title shows a Y and the Dash shows a matching Y.

But they dont match the chassis W.

Soooo, the dash vin plate is not original to the chassis

and the Title vin does not match the chassis

So the question becomes

if dash and title vins match, and the vehicle is already registered in USA, will California verify the chassis vin? in my limited experience no, California did not verify the chassis vin on any of the 3 vehicles I moved here, that were previously registered out of state. One of them was a syncro w a ZZZ vin on the title, and dash (Ive never checked or been required to have verified, a chassis vin on any of my vans, nor other cars.)

next question
Does the vehicle have to pass California smog? Yes.

Will it pass?
Not in the current condition, but after adding a cat, maybe.

what would I do?
Email Autostadt West photos and ask for help.

There are legitimate reasons for a dash swap, maybe the old one was damaged. afaik, the Title is legit and California would accept that the vehicle has been previously properly registered in USA. And the verification of Vin would involve comparing the title to the dash only. No chassis vin check.. verify that assumption, If Im wrong, bad things could happen.

If I understand correctly that there is no ZZZ on the Title nor Dash, it is not a Grey Market Vehicle, it is a USA registered vehicle, and no need to have it certified by a registered importer. The fact the vehicle has US registration is golden. Whatever happened before that, was the responsibility of the state that registered it. California will respect the US registration, imo, and will simply require smog compliance, and sales tax on the purchase price.

I have a friend that had a Syncro legally registered in Texas with a ZZZ vin on the title and dash. A german had brought it to US and sold it after traveling. My friend moved to California and registered his vehicle without issues. Without involving CARB, nor BAR Referee, nor CHP. He took care of the whole thing at DMV. It is a diesel, so was smog exempt. There was no Registered importer involved.

just my opinions, not my money
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

Kitty,

Wow - lot's happening since I tuned in. I don't understand your issue with the advice I gave, which is sound. However you found it disrespectful to repeat myself and that's fine - your prerogative.

I've read that several are recommending essentially the same thing - talk to someone local, and I have also taken my own advice as recently as 90 days ago. I wanted to buy a sweet project car in another state. It had a lien on the title from 15 years ago and nobody could reach the person. I spent a great deal of time trying to track people down. I called the other state's DMV to find out how to get around the red tape. The first guy said "no way, but thanks for calling." The second time I asked for a supervisor and that lady figured out a massive step by step sequence involving me getting a title there at a DMV office and then driving with that title to another office that offers "fast titling" for a fee. Get a new title there, and haul butt out of the state before things connect. Then get a title in my own home state. Lots of money, lots of time.

Finally, I went down to my local DMV and stood in line. I explained my problem to the nice lady. She looked at the pictures of the VIN, the weird title, looked up the vehicle in the federal registry, confirmed a few things, then went back in a file room to get a form. She handed it to me and said "get the seller to fill out this form and sign it, bring me a bill of sale and this form and I'll issue you a normal title." Done. Local knowledge. I had 100% certainty the car would be titled because I asked the person I'll be back in front of a few days later. There was zero uncertainty (and I hear yours, btw and I don't blame you) things would go pear shaped after I drove 700 miles to tow a car back.

That is the basis for my advice. You are thinking of spending thousands of dollars and you're hoping to meet the standards of a bunch of bureaucrats whose job on a routine task is to screw your life up, let alone handle a nonconforming situation that will take extra time for them. Why not get photos of the VIN and other plates and ask the bureaucrats your questions? That way you've done your absolute level best to remove uncertainty, right?

Pardon the inference - no slight was intended. Just straight up the best advice I've got for you, because you got on this forum and asked.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
pretty_kitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

It is always heart wrenching to want something you cannot have, which I hope is not true as to the reason for posting on this board. Thank you all.

I will see about speaking to Autostadt West and report back to all.

P_K
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

pretty_kitty wrote:
It is always heart wrenching to want something you cannot have, which I hope is not true as to the reason for posting on this board. Thank you all.

I will see about speaking to Autostadt West and report back to all.

P_K

Between the classifieds here, and craigslist there has to be at least 100 vans for sale that are already registered in CA.

What is so special about this van that wants you to subject yourself to the brick wall known as the CA DMV, CARB etc...

Just saying
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:

What is so special about this van

You may not understand the answer but here it is

Vanagonitis
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8789430&highlight=#8789430

And the joy of getting past registration red tape
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

If this search for an answer continues, You Pretty Kitty will be the new official on importing funky vehicles into the republic of cal.

12 mos from now you will be answering the Qs on Cali registration of bastard imports. And Ill still be here reading despite having no interest of ever importing anything into Cal (aside from my beach towel). Popcorn

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
nacradriver wrote:

What is so special about this van

You may not understand the answer but here it is

Vanagonitis
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8789430&highlight=#8789430

And the joy of getting past registration red tape

Got it... might be a pretty cool van to have... and it may be easier to get it CA legal with a KEP Subi or a SAH 1.8T.

Or, he can always get a PO Box with one of those mail stop places in Nevada or Arizona and register the vehicle there.. Just make certain they allow for a street address and suite number, not a box number.

Sad that we have to find these work-a-rounds.
pretty_kitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

Update to all and a thank you for your input.

I am more educated about importing a van from out of state and glad that I had the forum here to help. This is a great resource for the folks like me that love our vans.

We did not buy the van we were looking at out of state as there was too much red tape to get it through CA rigors. It may have squeaked by but could have caught up with me.

A special thanks to Jon_slider for the recommendation to call Jeff. He ironically enough had the same style van we were looking to buy in CA legally registered for sale! Too boot it was complete mechanical resto. It is a beast and in awesome shape. This van may be one of a few in the state to have the dueling sliders which have already been beneficially. I was able to pick her up on Thursday. We still cannot believe we own two vans but they will be loved forever for the purpose of each.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

Oh my goodness!Smile

That is one beautiful happy ending

congratulations!

inquiring minds want to know, how many knobs?Smile

and, my plug for decoupling on dry pavement, just do it!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

Nice looking van!
Glad Autostadt West was able to help you out.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
pretty_kitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

Jeff is the bomb. She runs better than our 85 full camper. We kind of feel like we cheated the brown camper... Confused

It is a two knob and is a tank with the trail master set up that was installed. Maybe one day I will get the third knob as there is a small list growing to pimp it out.

We are still trying to name her.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

pretty_kitty wrote:

Mandy (Amanda Altona)

Minnie (Minerva)
http://www.fscclub.com/history/iron-e.shtml

http://historylink101.com/art/Sandro_Botticelli/pages/11_Minerva_and_the_Centaur_jpg.htm

Rosie the Riveter aka Betty Boop

bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

Found this page that might interest folks who are importing vehicles into California: https://www.importavehicle.com/california-buyer

-terry
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
pretty_kitty wrote:

Rosie the Riveter aka Betty Boop

Rosie and Betty were not the same character, so not AKA. Betty portraying Rosie, maybe.

Actually, you might want to name your double-door van "JonJon_slider."
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: CA Grey Market Vehicle Reply with quote

Are dueling sliders separated by 10 pacers?

Quite a story of paperwork and working the System, wow!

Obligatory vote cast to remove the teenage soft porn from a pro site like this. I no longer am silent about this stuff in society. Me, too.

Last edited by Abscate on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: