Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

0.01 amps out of all 12v Outlets
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiffysea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: 0.01 amps out of all 12v Outlets Reply with quote

What would cause me to be getting 13.2v but 0.01amps. Is that a correct reading? I'm getting that reading with two different measuring devices so I assume it's accurate.

I also assume it's accurate because I'm having a really hard time getting things to charge on these.

Any ideas on where to start?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.01 amps out of all 12v Outlets Reply with quote

Post a picture of your measurements. Hopefully you didn’t measure amps by changing to the ammeter scale on your meter, you need to change the leads To be in series with the load.
jiffysea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.01 amps out of all 12v Outlets Reply with quote

I should have mentioned I wasn't using standard multimeter because that's what I would have asked someone else with the same question. Smile

I'm using a socket multimeter but also perhaps more reliable, the charge controller panel on my battery system. They say I should be seeing between 2 and 10 amps off of a 12v outlet.

Camp is set up for the night so I'll only post pictures of the socket meter plugged into the dash socket but I did test all the rear ones earlier and they all read the same. Also, I checked and for good measure, have changed the fuses.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: 0.01 amps out of all 12v Outlets Reply with quote

What load is on the plug?

A cell phone should pull about 400 mA in charge mode, but it will go to zero when full.

A cheap device current error will be more than 10 mA, too.
jiffysea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.01 amps out of all 12v Outlets Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what's going on. I woke up this morning, fired up the van and turned on the battery and it indicated 8amps and was charging. Sweet! I thought. Just needed to sleep on that.

I plugged in the socket multi-meter thingy (it's the one available from GoWesty) and it too showed positive current.

Then.... about an hour later, everything zeroed out again. Charge controller says no amp input and socket multi-meter also says nothing.

I'm really new at some of this but that sounds like the Alternator, right?

s
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.01 amps out of all 12v Outlets Reply with quote

Have you checked the rear cargo area outlets AND the front dash outlet? I believe the latter runs off of the drivetrain battery and the former off of the house battery.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jiffysea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.01 amps out of all 12v Outlets Reply with quote

There is no house battery currently. It's been pulled. And I did try the charging system in one of the rear sockets and I tried the socket multi-meter in two of three.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 0.01 amps out of all 12v Outlets Reply with quote

The only current your "socket multimeter" can measure is the current drawn by whatever device is plugged into the USB port(s). Ammeters only can measure current in series with a circuit; it cannot tell you anything about the current of any other circuit in the vehicle parallel to the circuit you are measuring (such as the alternator).

If there are no USB devices plugged into it, it should indicate 0 amps...if it indicates anything other 0 amps, the reading is erroneous and should be ignored. It will tell you absolutely nothing about how the alternator is functioning (and hopefully nobody suggested to you that it would...).

I don't think electrickery works that way
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: