Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan shroud "control flaps"
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

I couldn't find any topics that cover these flaps, I did find a link on ratwell..
http://www.ratwell.com/dotmac/Pictures/Heating/10-FanShroudFlaps.jpg

Does anyone know where I can get these? I am missing one, the larger one..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I sent this engine off to someone for a rebuild, and I just didn't think to remove my shroud, and when it came back, that larger flap was missing...
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1620194

I bought my set from a member here named whip but he doesn't have an ad up right now.

I believe German supply also has these.
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

Do a search for:

VWC-021-119-263-APR
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

Phil makes them. Whip618
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

There was just a thread that mentioned this a couple of months ago. I posted that I had made some from aluminum pie tins, and that someone was making them aftermarket.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700300&highlight=
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Phil makes them. Whip618

Who? Link?
sad to say, as I've had good dealings with them in the past, but just not interested in buying them from germansupply.
gadgetbec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

I found them online here, although I haven't tried them yet

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/fan-shroud-air-flaps-119-263-021a-29611a.html
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

IIRC there is a seal of some kind, maybe foam that sits on the edge.

I do remember that it is easy to pinch them between the fan housing and the heater box, so assemble everything and then make sure them open.... Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

When working correctly these check valves only come into play when the engine is not running, when the engine is running the valves are open and provide no function and might as well not be there. When not working correctly which is all too common they can block the fan shroud outlet(s) or break off and block the inlet into the heat exchangers.
Bugster78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

Can anyone provide the dimensions of these flaps so I can make my own??
ev_vw_dreams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

I got a pair used from Ken at Busco. Reasonably priced
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

Bugster78 wrote:
Can anyone provide the dimensions of these flaps so I can make my own??
you really need a sample as it more than a simple set of bends. I believe that Phil made a die that he had them made with, then he sold a bunch 10 years ago or so.

originals

Ones Phil made about 2008

sebgi1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

I made mine with a 1/8 Masonite sample: cut a square hole about the dimensions you need and a piece to press in about maybe 1/16 inch less all around.
Put your aluminium tin between the two templates and press them with a c-clamp an a backing block. Keep some material all around to roll the hinges then cut to size.

Couples tries to make the right dimensions based on the flap end on the shroud.

Beer can or other small aluminium containers should do it.

I made mine with insulation tin from old heater boxes.

Dogs are the most precious and valuable possession of mankind. VWs are second!

'73 Neptune blue safare camper
'71 Neptune blue tintop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

I made mine from a license plate. I had old, broken ones for pattern. Mine are flat. Used my shop vac. to make sure they operate. Suck, or blow, from one side of shroud, then the other. You can hear them slap open or closed. Read here recently the foam seal was more to keep them from rattling. I didn't use any seal, but I imagine just a thin layer of silicone would work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "control flaps" Reply with quote

You can buy them here:https://914rubber.com/pressed-air-intake-flaps-wfoam-1

They were installed to stop the aux fans from blowing air into the fan housing at idle so you blow the air from the aux fan through the heat exchangers for heat/defrost. Yes, they did have a small foam seal on the edges originally to make a seal. $35 is pretty cheap for a nice set that work correctly.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: