Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex Thermostat Location?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpstewart19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Propex Thermostat Location? Reply with quote

Finalizing my propex install under the fridge. Where does everyone mount the thermostat? I found 1 picture just next to the stove, and one up in the wardrobe cabinet for a bench install.

Anyone have any pics to share?
1980 Vanagon Westfalia “Rusty” (Sold)
1982 Vanagon Westfalia “Rusty II” (Sold)
1977 Smurf Blue Campmobile (Sold)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Thermostat Location? Reply with quote

I noodled over several spots: to the rear of the slider (open the door and turn it on v. Getting in the van); kitchen cabinet but finally landed at the top of the wardrobe. It’s easy to get to from the kitchen or while in bed.

This may be Westyventures recommended location.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://westyventures.com/propex.html

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Thermostat Location? Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^
Seems to be the preferred location.
It's where we mounted ours, easy to reach, easy to wire, and out of harms way.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Thermostat Location? Reply with quote

Ive had two different installs in different vans

first I went with the closet install, as pictured. I thought it would be useful to be able to turn it on, in the morning, while still in bed. But I almost never did that.

More often there were times when I was already driving away from camp, wondering if the furnace was still on.

so the second install was on the pillar to the right of the stove, behind the driver seat. For me that was a much more useful installation.

It meant that as I was driving out of a camp, I could just switch it off from the Driver seat.. Or if I got into a cold van in the morning, I could switch the furnace on when starting the car to warm it up, and use the furnace to preheat the interior while the motor coolant was still cold.

I would use the pillar behind the driver seat again, I would not put it on the closet, knowing how I like to use it from the driver seat.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Thermostat Location? Reply with quote

I like my mods to be reversible so I worked really hard to find a good spot where I would not have to drill.

I Don't have a picture but I was able to use screws and washers to attach it to the fridge vent - it doesn't interfere with the table and i spaced it out a bit so as not to block off air flow to the TF49, stolen picture for reference. Lastly, if you sleep with your head towards the front of the van it's an easy reach at night

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Thermostat Location? Reply with quote

mine is on a long 'umbilical' cord that I use it on the counter, but can take it to the upper bunk or the lower bunk or reach from drivers seat..

I don't feel it 'needs' to be perm mounted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: