Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Wiring question Reply with quote

I'm looking to install surface mount tweeters in location where I'll be able to do the most damage to what's left of my hearing. Seems like the best place will be right next to the sunvisor mounts. I'm wondering if I can run the wire down the A-pillar to the dash. Looks to be a piece of the harness on the driver's side runs up thru a hole and disappears into the A pillar.

Before I go poking a hole in my 54 year old headliner, I'd kinda like to know if there's a path.

64 deluxe bus. Any help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring question Reply with quote

The left A pillar has 2 wires for the dome lights running through it. There is room for a couple more. It’s easier to fish from the top down. I don’t know about the right.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring question Reply with quote

Yes, there are holes in both A-pillars.

VW even put an insert in to the hole at the top that reduces chafing.

There's a great cutaway picture of the top hole in Eric&Barb's restoration thread. It's the same on both sides...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonnyCJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring question Reply with quote

Don’t do it !

I actually mounted mine here, then read that they should be as near the woofer as poss, otherwise you get separation and out of phase words/music.

Do a bit of a google search and it’ll explain in detail

Cheers

Jonny
SDBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring question Reply with quote

Got them in - thanks for the tips. They give that extra touch I wanted. In the process, I removed the 6x9's I had mounted below the rear seat. They were a waste of a pair of good speakers.

Ended up mounting some low profile 6x8's in the rear corners for a huge sound improvement.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: