Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty Solar Hook up Box
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Has anyone used one of these?
http://www.gowesty.com/product/solar/24662/solar-hook-up-box?v=

If so, does the external plug take a standard solar panel connector (eg. MC4 or SAE) or only one that is connected to one of GW's panels? Not possible to tell from their photos.
Thanks.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

2-pin SAE plug.
ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Thanks!
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Is you aux battery under your rear seat? If so, save yourself $50 and run a set of wires from the aux battery, out the firewall and into the engine compartment - all the way around to your license plate door - ending with a plug like that SAE 2-pin or a set of Anderson Powerpole plugs. Now you have a convenient plug for your solar and you didn't have to put a hole in anything (except the firewall) or buy a $50 plastic box (I hope these GW boxes are better quality than the OEM ones... Rolling Eyes )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

GW got their idea from my version. However, I used the MC-4 standard solar panel connectors:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Thanks Izzydog, I had considered that route but I plan to have a fuse panel from the house battery in the "secret" space next to the water tank to connect to a fridge etc. so a solar connection in that vicinity makes most sense for me. I guess I will wait to decide between SAE and MC4 connectors until I know what solar panel I go with.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

GW wasn't the first to do this:

Credit to member Noblecr
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

If you no longer have the dometic fridge (I bought a TruckFridge) I put my hook up in the spot where the flue was at for the fridge. I used the plate GW has for that spot drilled a hole and mounted the SAE hook up there. very clean and did not have to cut a hole in body. I can send you a pic.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

mtnride1 wrote:
I used the plate GW has for that spot drilled a hole and mounted the SAE hook up there. very clean and did not have to cut a hole in body. I can send you a pic.

I didn't know GW made a plate for that, I made my own… Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

For those of you who have solar hookup box, do you also have solar "hardwired" on the roof? If anyone has both systems wired, I'd love to understand how they have it hooked both sets up to the controller.

I have 2x 100 watt Renogy monocrystal panels on the roof rack, but I got another 100 watt flexible panel for Christmas from my kids a few years ago and I was thinking it would be perfect to tuck up in the top bed when traveling (as it is about 1/8 inch thick.) and run an extension cord to the sun when camping in the shade. So I already have the panels on top wired directly to the MPPT controller. There are only one set of inputs to the controller, so I would imagine I would need an AB switch of some sorts. (Frosting on top would be to have an "off" position on said switch so I could work on the system / controller without disconnecting the wires from the panels. I guess I could do circuit breakers instead of fuses, but that seems clumsy.)

Has anyone done this? two full setups? One set of wires running from the controller to the roof and another set running from the controller to the hookup boxes?

For the hookup, I would be repurposing my city water hookup with either an SAE plug or +/- MC4 connector hookup.. Seems like the MC4s are a bitch to get out without a tool. Any advice there would be awesome. My solar controller is behind my drivers seat, so seems like a switch below it would make sense and it would be an easy run from the hookup under the sink. Could even use the city water tube to pull the wires in.

I would probably not need to have both running at the same time as 200 watts from the roof on a sunny day is plenty and wouldn't be worth setting up the extra panel outside with the hookup, so let's assume the A/B scenario.. unless there is a great reason to do all 3. The two on the top are in series as the run to the controller is pretty long. 10AWG tinned wires throughout.

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Not to poo poo on GW and their products but I didn't need an outside utility box to get my additional panel wired up to the controller.

I put the SAE plug behind the drivers seat on the kitchen panel and wired direct to the CC. Just make sure the CC can handle the increase of all panels combined amperage.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Not to poo poo on GW and their products but I didn't need an outside utility box to get my additional panel wired up to the controller.

I put the SAE plug behind the drivers seat on the kitchen panel and wired direct to the CC. Just make sure the CC can handle the increase of all panels combined amperage.

Cool.. Yeah, I'm repurposing the existing city water hookup with an SAE hookup like you have there. Just removing the water part and using some ABS to create a new connection behind the hookup door. Already have the box and the hole in the side.. figure it would be better than a city water hookup that I will never use.

So, you would just connect the + and - to the ones running from the top and just add to the input and let the controller sort it out? This would be running the extra panel in parallel and the two on the top in series, correct? Any issues with that? This could be an easy solution as I already have some extra MC4 y connectors from when I had the top hooked up in parallel. Could just use those to put it all together safely under the sink.

Would still like to have the on/off switch between panels and controller.

Is the SAE hookup secure? Like does it feel flimsy? I think MC4 is overkill for something you're going to be putting together and taking apart every time you camp / need it.. but don't have any experience with the SAE connection other than my mini jumper Li battery hookup (that I've never needed to use)
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:

So, you would just connect the + and - to the ones running from the top and just add to the input and let the controller sort it out? This would be running the extra panel in parallel and the two on the top in series, correct? Any issues with that? This could be an easy solution as I already have some extra MC4 y connectors from when I had the top hooked up in parallel. Could just use those to put it all together safely under the sink.

Would still like to have the on/off switch between panels and controller.

Is the SAE hookup secure? Like does it feel flimsy? I think MC4 is overkill for something you're going to be putting together and taking apart every time you camp / need it.. but don't have any experience with the SAE connection other than my mini jumper Li battery hookup (that I've never needed to use)

Here's a pic of my CC. You can see the solar connection of both panels wires into it. As long as you do not exceed the CC amperage you should be fine. I use the MC-4 cable from the panel mounted on my pop top and just some better than auto store wire to connect the SAE plug to the CC. I have a fuse-able link from the SAE to the CC and an inline fuse at the panel with the MC-4 cable

Hope this helps.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:

I used Anderson PowerPoles:

Thanks to a shop tech breaking the lid for that (former) city water box Evil or Very Mad , I get to buy a new box and reconstruct it. Rolling Eyes

When I did my parents' set-up, I simply got them GW's solar hook-up box to make life easier. So far, it's been holding up well.

We only use portable solar, so can't answer your other question.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Here's a pic of my CC. You can see the solar connection of both panels wires into it. As long as you do not exceed the CC amperage you should be fine. I use the MC-4 cable from the panel mounted on my pop top and just some better than auto store wire to connect the SAE plug to the CC. I have a fuse-able link from the SAE to the CC and an inline fuse at the panel with the MC-4 cable
Hope this helps.

Very helpful. Thanks! I will probably do the same as that just seems like the simplest solution. Also thanks for mentioning the fuses. I will probably run those inline at the panels.

Now I just need to figure out an on/off switch between the panels and the controller. Anyone done that?

kamzcab86 wrote:
I used Anderson PowerPoles:
Thanks to a shop tech breaking the lid for that (former) city water box, I get to buy a new box and reconstruct it.
When I did my parents' set-up, I simply got them GW's solar hook-up box to make life easier. So far, it's been holding up well.

I had not heard of Anderson connectors before. Thanks for the other option. That's definitely how I plan to repurpose my city water hookup box. Seems pretty straight forward.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:

Now I just need to figure out an on/off switch between the panels and the controller. Anyone done that?

https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/11/Manual_Battery_Switches

These battery switches would work.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Crooked Designer wrote:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/11/Manual_Battery_Switches

These battery switches would work.

Thanks! I was just coming back here to post this and ask if it would work. Seems like yes.

My plan is to put this on the positive wires coming FROM the panels. So the roof set would be 1 and the aux would be 2. I could just leave the switch in position 1+2 until I needed to work on the system and then turn it to off and all panels would be disconnected, right? Any issues with just running that on the positive wire from both panels?

*edit.. sorry.. additional question. Fuses. I have a 40A MPPT controller.. If I'm running the two panels up top (100W each in series) and the one on the hookup (100W, but will be in parallel with the other two) all at the same time, is it safe to do a 30A fuse for the top and 10A for the hookup? I'm going with inline MC4 fuses behind each of the panels. Operating on the assumption that the fuses should total 40A.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Just for anyone looking here in the future. I answered my question about fuses.

When adding fuses between the panel and the controller, from what I understand you need to figure out how many amps at peak each panel setup could be putting out and then fuse based on a calculation from that. Once you find out total peak amps of each setup you round up and then add 25% and fuse that. So, total possible Amps rounded up x 1.25.

Given that I've decided to run the MC4 inline fuses at each of the panel setups (because its just easier to zip tie all of that up with the wires behind the panels) I will have two different fuse calculations. So in my case the 2x 100 w on the roof in series gets one fuse and then the aux movable panel run to the hookup box gets its own fuse. This will also help because when I don't have the portable panel hooked up, I'll still have the right fuse on the fixed setup.

Top is 6A peak x 1.25 = 7.5A.. So, I'm going to be running 10A fuse on top (Each panel is 6A peak sun, but because the top is running in series, you keep the amps the same and when adding the second panel you double the volts allowing it to run longer distances with less voltage drop from what I understand. I also think this is only recommended with an MPPT controllers.) So, because the aux panel is also 100w, with 6A peak, I'll be using a 10A fuse on the portable panel also, but be sure to do your own research and math.

The fuse between the controller and the battery is the one where you fuse it based on how many amps your controller can handle. My controller is a Renogy Rover 40A MPPT, so I (already) have a 40A ANL fuse between it and the battery on the + wire.

Just wanted to put something out there as there seems to be very little posted about why the specific size of fuses. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, as I'm just learning.

I may have finally contributed something besides questions Wink
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Solar Hook up Box Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
"... run an extension cord to the sun...

Now that's IMPRESSIVE! Pics please! Laughing

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: