Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scat C35 in a type 4 upright?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm about to start a rebuild on a 2.0 upright motor. For the most part it's a stock rebuild but will have 96mm pistons, 42x36 heads, CSP exhaust and dual 40s (IDF). I've got a new C35 cam that's been on the shelf for years. What are your thoughts on this cam with this combo? I've had success with the C35 in smaller displacement type 1s, never used it in a type 4 though. I know the webcam is preferred by most, but this is new with matched lifters and could save a few hundred bucks. Thanks!
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

Excellent question. I'm building nearly the same engine, however I had planned to use a Web 86a. I have not putchased the cam yet so now is a good time to hear the answer to this.

Based upon the descriptions on the AC.net site, the closest Web cam to yours would be the 494 grind (give or take). I'd have to say if I had one in hand, I'd probably use it.

H2OSB
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

Yeah most likely I'll end up using it, hoping to hear from the cam or type 4 God's though. I've used C35 came in 1914s before with similar CR and valve sizes. Hoping there's not some type 4 ism I'm missing though. I can't find anyone that has ever run one though. Seems like everyone just does a variant of the web 86.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

make sure you use dual valve springs.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

With just 40 IDF's it's not going have any more power above 4000 rpm than a much smaller engine. Probably needs at least 44 IDF's or even better 48 IDA's to match the Scat C-35 cam. The 86a would be a better match for it but still with the 96mm bore and a lot more carburetion you would probably want the 86b. Consider aftermarket Fuel Injection.
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

Thanks! Do you think the upgrade to 44s would increase drivability? It's going in a daily driver bug, so the more broad the RPM range the better. I was focused on 40s due to the low end around town power. I may look toward 44s if that's the case, the car will see a good bit of highway time. I'd love to do FI, probably will down the road once I have a few more bucks.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

I would try a 30 or 32 vent before going to 44s.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

Years ago Mark Stephens Racing was one of the cutting edge Type 4 guys, with his innovative 5 stud heads etc.

We spoke several times about working together, then he just disappeared???

I spoke to him on a similar subject with using 36 or larger Dells. His answer was always stick to the smaller size venturi and carbs, unless you expect to be doing high speeds all the time.

The smaller size is more fun, always available torque, and with a T-4 that is what really makes it feel different from a T-1.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

That's funny to hear.. Mark Stephens came over to visit last year.
Still has a huge collection of stuff left over from the old days sitting in storage in LA.
He was saying he wanted to open up an online store selling complete engine kits.
Couldn't afford to do this here, so he moved to Texas last i heard.

Back to our OP,
I'll second the notion of sticking with the smaller carbs.
IMHO, your motor won't be big enough to need more than a set of 40s.

Cam sounds great for your intended use.

Want power?
Buy the best exhaust you can afford, A-1, CSP, Etc..

What’s That Noise?!?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

Driveability would be ok with the 40's but really you could use more carb give the rest of the engine. The thing about IDF's is they only have 3 progression circuit holes. I have seen where at least on the 48's some may have 5 progression holes. I think the IDA's would. Not sure if the new Empi D series do but probably if they are true copies of DRLA Dells?

The Holes are in the side of the throttle body just below the throttle plate and as the throttle plate opens when you give it gas they become active and draw fuel from the Idle circuit. This makes for a better Air fuel ratio as the throttle opens.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C35 in a type 4 upright? Reply with quote

Dialed in 40 IDF´s will support 130 hp plus change. Such an engine doesnt have the potential to pull more than about 130 hp anyway. So no need for large(r) carbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: