Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what has changed?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Sometimes it's like the story where a couple put a good working older fridge from the basement out on the front walk with a "Works good, Free" sign on it. No takers in a week so they moved it back to the garage and changed the sign to "Works good $50".

It disappeared over night!

... is different here... I put stuff put at the road with a sign - free stuff - and it's gone fast.

Well, we'll see if VW parts sales pick up soon... a lot of great speculation here... food for thought
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I must be the odd man out here. Getting tired of crappy new parts has driven me to TS classified more and more. The lack of descriptions can be a problem, but so far everything I've bought has gone perfect. Quick replies, item condition as described, and fast shipping.

I have never haggled on price however. If the item is overpriced in the ad, I move on. If it's the part I want and the condition I can accept with a price I feel is fair, I contact the seller and ask how he/she would like to be paid. I DO like ads where shipping is included in price because it eliminates the back and forth on shipping quotes. Unless it's a large/heavy item, standard shipping rates should apply, and the seller should just include it to make the process easier.

Just my thoughts/experience

Some parts lend themselves to a "shipping included"-- others, not so much.
If it is rather heavy, often a Flat Rate box (if the size works) is the way to go.
On the other hand, it is often in the buyer's best interest to pay the actual cost------especially if the buyer is close to the seller, because rates vary with distance as well as weight. So, I am happy to calculate the lowest cost for the buyer.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
oprn wrote:
Sometimes it's like the story where a couple put a good working older fridge from the basement out on the front walk with a "Works good, Free" sign on it. No takers in a week so they moved it back to the garage and changed the sign to "Works good $50".

It disappeared over night!

... is different here... I put stuff put at the road with a sign - free stuff - and it's gone fast.

Well, we'll see if VW parts sales pick up soon... a lot of great speculation here... food for thought

If you put a fridge out on the street in my hood in the morning it will have a body in it.Luckily the scrap yard will still take it as long as the freon in removed
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If you put a fridge out on the street in my hood in the morning it will have a body in it.Luckily the scrap yard will still take it as long as the freon in removed

How many bodies have you disposed of using this method?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Abscate wrote:

How many bodies have you disposed of using this method?

Lets see, six girls , new boyfriend each year, youngest now 20,

so N approximately 28. Hey - thats perfect!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

So you’ve gotten rid of six girls, and a new boyfriend of yours every year, the youngest being 20? You are a sick puppy. Razz You must hav a hard time finding refrigerators on a regular basis. Laughing

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Could it possibly be that our hobby has reached a sort of saturation where the average enthusiast is older? Are we dying off? I remember reading a post where it was mentioned that owners of Model Ts can't sell their cars for a reasonable price anymore because there are no takers. Let's face it, we buy our car (in my case and many others, "cars"), fix them up and then what? We slow down our purchases because we are done with repairs or restorations. I don't buy nearly as much as I did years ago. My two bugs are the only cars I drive (wife drives the fancy Lexus). Are car sales dropping? Have all the barn finds been found? I know there are younger people purchasing ACVWs on the west coast but I'm in eastern NY and I rarely see any older VWs, maybe a few times a year. Perhaps a poll of the average owner's age might be telling....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Gary Haberman wrote:
We slow down our purchases because we are done with repairs or restorations. I don't buy nearly as much as I did years ago. My two bugs are the only cars I drive (wife drives the fancy Lexus).

This is my exact situation, except my wife has a Subaru. Two Beetles that are daily driven. It has taken years of working on them to get them mechanically sound. At first I would buy anything and everything I could get my hands on. Now, years later, the excitement level has toned down and I am very selective on what I purchase.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Lowballing on everything or not reading an entire ad will elicit a no response from me as a seller.

I list a part for 30 shipped
you offer 15 shipped

"euro taillight 62-67 "
Will this fit my 66 21 window?

Rolling Eyes

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Gary Haberman wrote:
Could it possibly be that our hobby has reached a sort of saturation where the average enthusiast is older? Are we dying off? I remember reading a post where it was mentioned that owners of Model Ts can't sell their cars for a reasonable price anymore because there are no takers. Let's face it, we buy our car (in my case and many others, "cars"), fix them up and then what? We slow down our purchases because we are done with repairs or restorations. I don't buy nearly as much as I did years ago. My two bugs are the only cars I drive (wife drives the fancy Lexus). Are car sales dropping? Have all the barn finds been found? I know there are younger people purchasing ACVWs on the west coast but I'm in eastern NY and I rarely see any older VWs, maybe a few times a year. Perhaps a poll of the average owner's age might be telling....

I think the Model T comparison is pretty well spot on. Both cars started off as affordable reliable transportation for the common man, they then morphed into a hobby and collectible -- ownership was largely based on nostalgia and less so on practicality. When that happened, the prices started going up as people are wont to pay more than makes sense to sate their desire for a chance to relive fond old memories or possess a link to their personal past. Next thing you know, the cost of entry into ownership has risen to a level that most younger folk can no longer afford it -- you now lose the opportunity for creating nostalgia in a newer generation to keep interest alive. Eventually there exists only the aging and dying generations with any link to these old cars, no newer generation having had chance to experience or value them. Interest wanes, values drop, and what was once treasured is now but clutter to be rid of to the scrap heap.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

There are newspaper articles regularly about how heirs really are not interested in inheriting silverware and bone china from their parents.

One of my frequent fears is me dropping dead and then afterwards my Nephews look at my old Dinky, Matchbox and Corgi collectible toys, shrug and then toss them into the trash.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

static wrote:
There are newspaper articles regularly about how heirs really are not interested in inheriting silverware and bone china from their parents.

One of my frequent fears is me dropping dead and then afterwards my Nephews look at my old Dinky, Matchbox and Corgi collectible toys, shrug and then toss them into the trash.

I think a key factor in people wanting to keep inherited items is they had good experiences with them during their life, something quite lacking when the items in question were only displayed and never used. Similarly, the act of building a collection is often the appeal and excitement of doing so; would you have enjoyed your toy collection as much or at all if you had inherited it en masse and complete while having no previous interest in the subject of the collection?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Yes, my grandfather collected those Franklin Mint pewter cars & kept them in their hermetically sealed, backlit, mahogany display case. Years after he passed, my uncle, remembering how enamored I was with them when I was 3-6 years old, tried to give them to me but I graciously declined. It always pissed me off that there were these perfect toys that I could only look at. They're probably sitting in a storage unit of his somewhere.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

I think the Model T comparison is pretty well spot on. Both cars started off as affordable reliable transportation for the common man, they then morphed into a hobby and collectible -- ownership was largely based on nostalgia and less so on practicality. When that happened, the prices started going up as people are wont to pay more than makes sense to sate their desire for a chance to relive fond old memories or possess a link to their personal past. Next thing you know, the cost of entry into ownership has risen to a level that most younger folk can no longer afford it -- you now lose the opportunity for creating nostalgia in a newer generation to keep interest alive. Eventually there exists only the aging and dying generations with any link to these old cars, no newer generation having had chance to experience or value them. Interest wanes, values drop, and what was once treasured is now but clutter to be rid of to the scrap heap.

Unfortunately very old cars, trucks, and old tractors, are now in a place that they aren't useful for any other purpose than novelty.

What will keep the VW's alive is that, while everybody thinks it is a big fashion show....they are still capable of being used as transport.
Enthusiasts and aftermarket parts suppliers have worked REAL hard to make them dysfunctional, yet many VW's are still half functional, and can be driven on roads and highways!!
AND in the long run, there is NO WAY you can have a car for less money.
It is difficult, because there is no real system in place to maintain a vehicle indefinitely, but it is possible, and it isn't expensive.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

modok wrote:

AND in the long run, there is NO WAY you can have a car for less money.
It is difficult, because there is no real system in place to maintain a vehicle indefinitely, but it is possible, and it isn't expensive.

Wrong, with a rotted out, non-running, titleless VW typically fetching $1,000-$2,000 (for a lesser desired example), you could buy a clapped out Toyota Crapola for about the same & drive it for a couple of years without doing a damned thing to it, & leave it where it dies (much like people did with a VW 2-3 decades ago) and then buy another crappy econobox for less than what it would take to rebuild an engine in an ACVW.

He’ll, in reality, it might just boil down to the fact that new drivers just want to DRIVE a car instead of work on it or they have no interest in learning how to drive a manual.

I think most of us do it for the masochistic satisfaction of working on something in the hopes of enjoying it once it runs or maybe it’s the thrill of seeing IF it will get you to your destination.

vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I have seen a constant decline of aircooleds in my immediate area, but it continues to amaze me how many continually show up on IG daily that I've never seen before.

There are still millions around, which in turns keeps them "affordable"

My shop is overloaded with engine and restoration work, with about 2 yrs backlog on beetle work alone, with avg jobs from $25-40K+. I barely do any in/out service work anymore. For a 3-4 person shop, it's still a good way to make $$$.

I believe used parts sales are declining daily because there is an abundance of used parts that have flooded the internet. Selling your parts first, requires a "let it go" valuation you can live with. If your in it for the money, its about moving that money constantly. If your in it to sell for the most you can get, because you value that part beyond anyone else...your gonna sit on it a long time. Guilty of this myself on several nice items...and I can wait until someone likes it as much as me Wink

I've also recognized over the last decade, that those who have acquired the "good" "desirable" cars have also acquired the "good" parts and have no need for avg used items. Only wanting better glass, better chrome, etc...

Avg. used items have little value now, even to the "patina" seeking crowd.

PPL continually offer less, because they know they can wait for a cheaper one to appear.

I recently disposed of two full trash cans of '70 later front turn signals that were in decent used condition. I simply recognize that there are still so many avail, that I would never sell them all, even at $5set...
Every show I go to there are multiple bins full of them avail...

One major change I have noticed though, is that more and more sales and work is coming from out of state for me. It appears that quality shops are drying up as vw owners gain more accessibility to internet parts and youtube knowledge. There are quite a bit more DIYers than ever before.

everyone with the internet is an "engine builder" now. Rolling Eyes

Stocking and selling NEW parts has become a thing of the past, as most vw owner have no problem popping on the internet and buying from amazon, walmart, etc. Consumers just have a multitude of available avenues to buy from now. Just google vw beetle master cylinder and see how many options are avail. from $30-100...

I'm expecting it to be another 20yrs or so before OG used parts begins to hit their peak similar to the porsche market of today.

We'll dispose of thousands more '70's beetles and the '68-79 market will emerge (and I'll be kicking myself for throwing out all the turn signals)

As the market changes, you just have to adapt to meet what you want out of it, or bag it all and find another market to get involved with.

Funny how so many of us started buying and selling parts to make $$$ and are finding out that we now have some of the largest used parts COLLECTIONS on earth.

Think of the value of the indoor space we use/waste protecting our COLLECTIONS Laughing
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

static wrote:

I gave all my toys to my kids, kinda funny watching them play with valuable collectors items. They destroyed a salmon Franklin mint window bus in about 30 minutes. My kids are my retirement, it’s an old tradition I know.

I find snapon tools at thrift stores all the time, saw a gold plated set at an estate sale last week. Not interested.
People collect pictures on their phones now.

I don’t buy anything unless I verify I can make 500% on it.
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I like to believe that unlike collecting objects to place on a shelf or display case, we collect cars to use; even those who only drive them on the weekends or to shows. I still enjoy driving my bugs; I've even taken them on trips of over 250 miles to places where there is no chance of finding a garage who could service one. I travel with a great deal of spare parts (distributor, fuel pump, carb, clutch/accelerator cables) and of course tools.
I used to collect antique radios, TVs and phones-but frankly, I hardly ever turned on a AM radio the size of dog coffin that needs an outdoor antenna and external power supply or batteries-I sold whatever I could for less than half of what I paid for them and restored, the TVs have no value and although the phones do work, I sold them off as well only keeping one.
At least I can drive my car on the highway and keep up with traffic if only in the right lane. It's really an adventure driving these cars-we all know they're unsafe compared to today's models but I bet we're a lot more careful driving then most folks and we don't use our cell phones when we're behind the wheel!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Gary Haberman wrote:

... we moved to Oklahoma from Orange County, NY and I remember there weren't many VWs, even back in the 90s.
I think your assessment is right on... thanks for that.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Model T collecting is similar to VW in that there exists a large aftermarket to support the hobby. While it is smaller you can buy every part needed to restore a car new. Like VWs pre 1916 Ts bring more money than the later models and are easy to spot with brass radiator. As for dropping prices I don’t think so a quick look at Hemmings Motor News shows prices holding steady. My father in law was a big model T collector buying his first one in 1947 for about 10 dollars. While I’m not active in that hobby through him I stayed aware of what was going on for the last 30 years. You think owning a 50 year old car is fun? Try owning one that’s 100 years old Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: