Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what has changed?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: what has changed? Reply with quote

I have 4 pages of parts in my wish-list (watched ads)... seems like not very many of those parts are moving - good for me, bad for the sellers. Also, my parts sales are down to almost nothing... used to move a few items a month - seems like a complete shift is occurring - i'm almost afraid to buy anything extra... afraid i'll get stuck with it...
What's going on? anyone care to speculate?
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

The cost of the vehicles has risen exponentially therefore pricing new potential enthusiasts out of the market for “worn out”, “junk” (when in reality, the aftermarket parts are the ones that are junk) parts. It’s possible that the current enthusiasts already have a bunch of that stuff already that they’re debating whether or not to shitcan it because they’re tired of tripping over it because the cheap asses want to offer half the listing price. And then demand free shipping.

For example, you have some parts for a SO34 camper, what new enthusiast, that isn’t a trust fund baby, is going to be interested in your part when THIS...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2145859
Is an entry point example.

Affordable examples are vehicles that were used as donors 2-3 decades ago & forgotten about on the back of the property.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The cost of the vehicles has risen exponentially therefore pricing new potential enthusiasts out of the market for “worn out”, “junk” (when in reality, the aftermarket parts are the ones that are junk) parts. It’s possible that the current enthusiasts already have a bunch of that stuff already that they’re debating whether or not to shitcan it because they’re tired of tripping over it because the cheap asses want to offer half the listing price. And then demand free shipping.

For example, you have some parts for a SO34 camper, what new enthusiast, that isn’t a trust fund baby, is going to be interested in your part when THIS...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2145859
Is an entry point example.

Affordable examples are vehicles that were used as donors 2-3 decades ago & forgotten about on the back of the property.

... yes, I thought of some of that... does seem like a lot of entry level cars and parts are just over-priced junk..
i'll make an attempt to look at the whole situation differently... thanks for the fodder..
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

People have burned through their tax returns. Laughing
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
What's going on? anyone care to speculate?

Personally, I think it's speculative hoarding.
Specifically, speculative hoarding by a previously large group of people who are declining in number, but with those who are left being proportionally more dedicated.

For example, we plan to keep our VWs for a long time. I have a bunch of parts we may never use, including some I truly hope we never need. But I'm not going to sell them, because what if we do end up needing them? Shocked

Likewise, I have parts I need today, but cannot find for sale. Because all of the rest of you are holding onto them in your private stashes, even though you know full well that you're never going to use them! Laughing Laughing Laughing

See the problem? d'oh!

The 'old crowd' who have retired from selling came from a time when anything and everything was available, and ACVWs were cheap cars with cheap parts. Those who actually drive them now have undoubtedly faced at least one or two times where they needed a part, only to find that it was NLA, discontinued a few years back, and out of stock never to return at any of their usual vendors. A few scares like this, and it's not hard to see why anyone looking 10-20 years into the future has six German whatevers on the shelf for themselves collecting dust, instead of finding new homes via the classifieds. Neutral
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I'll offer a different perspective that may or may not be valid.

I've been looking at the Samba classifieds for a specific item. I have found that many of the ads are abysmal. Out of focus photos, or photos that show little of the item, descriptions that tell me very little, and/or a bunch of warnings about what kind of buyers the seller doesn't want to deal with.

After a while, I just stop looking.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

The season has much to do with it I feel as well. We are now the in "swap and show" time of year when I'll usually put my efforts elsewhere. When the weather turns, I'll pull out the camera and go to work again.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I have been noticing starting last year that at the swap meets I have not have had much movement on the earlier stuff. Everyone keeps asking if I have super beetle stuff. I think its what people are / can afford to get and restore now.

People that can afford the earlier restos probably are not the ones digging though boxes of dirty parts looking for a deal.

That might just be a north east thing though.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I try and buy stuff through The Samba
But I'm met with resistance.
I contact sellers using their preferred method,sometimes they respond, sometimes not.
When they do respond, they ask for a link to the actual ad (which is fine, some people sell tons of stuff). I send them the link and then no response from them at all.
I'm not trying to haggle with them and dont even ask any questions. I just wanna give them my money in exchange for the item they are selling.
I just dont get it.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

My experience has been there are good and bad buyers & sellers. Some buy a part and are totally happy with it. Some buy a 40 year old used part and complain that it doesn't look brand new. Some will not haggle price while others want a $50 part for $15. I haven't had much luck being a buyer. Countless times I've heard "I'll get back to you" only to never hear from them again while the part is still for sale 5 months later. I gave up going to swap meets to sell. Spend a whole day only to break even when I consider time and money spent on gas and entrance. I do fall into the category of hoarding parts, especially hard to find or unique parts because you just never know when you'll need them.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
The season has much to do with it I feel as well. We are now the in "swap and show" time of year when I'll usually put my efforts elsewhere. When the weather turns, I'll pull out the camera and go to work again.

I have a record of all samba sales since 2010...true, there is a lul this time of year, but now and for the last month, sales are dead... a lot of good reasons, in this thread.
I think, we baby-boomers were the bread and butter that kept things going and now, we're dying off + the global economy is in trouble... seems fewer people have the extra income to spend on their cars...

... seems a lot of older cars are in the classifieds - that means fewer people buying parts... there are fewer and fewer VWs around too... and the silly-crazy-high prices of VWs for sale is out of control. Seems many are climbing on the BIG-profit bandwagon - this hobby is just falling apart, I guess.
... might be nice for Everett to have a "Bargain Classified-Section - bet everyone would flock there... have a maximum selling price, whatever that might be... food for thought. - something's gotta' give.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Political comments removed as it's not allowed and was derailing the thread
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Another thing I've noticed is an uptick in what I would call "low effort" ads. Basically where a seller posts an ad, but does very little to describe what items are actually for sale, or what years they will fit. That strategy may work just fine for letgo, craigslist, and other local marketplaces where people browse... but your parts are effectively invisible to anyone non-local performing a search. d'oh! This makes it appear as though certain parts are not available from anyone, when in fact dozens of sellers may have exactly what you need readily available.

Not trying to pick on anyone, but a few quick examples:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1946835
Quote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Misc. Engine Tin Price: ASK $
Misc. Engine Tin, all kinds of it. Let me know what you are looking for!!!
Prices will depend on item and condition plus shipping in the Cont. US

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2139419
Quote:
box of misc parts must see Price: $60 free ship in usa
grab bag of parts look them over sold as is. no sales out of the usa

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=470610
Quote:
i have a large seletion of vw used parts Price: 1.00up
34 years of collecting vw parts now available.shipping ww
i also look for parts to buy or get in exchange

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2181837
Quote:
VW parts grab bag lot Price: 26
Assortment of new and used parts would be either for Beetle or Thing mostly.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2132517
Quote:
Misc. Lighting Price: Varies
Random Tail & Turn Signal Lights
Prices Vary

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2079295
Quote:
1971-72 Super Beetle Parts Lot Price: ASK
This is a parts lot from a 1971 or 72 Super, may also fit later years. If you see anything you need ask for a price and a shipping quote.

And an example of how this is problematic:
Search the classifieds for 1967 pulley tin. No results.
I'm sure dozens of sellers have this piece, and even have photos showing it in their ads. But nobody has taken the time to ID their parts or type a quick list of what is in the picture... so their ads do not show up when people search. Confused
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

When the postage costs more than the part and possibility of bad feedback on every sale, cheaper parts are going to have to be dug for. It’s always been that way. Hope your parts are more valuable than scrap to them.
This game is a zero sum reward anymore.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I must be the odd man out here. Getting tired of crappy new parts has driven me to TS classified more and more. The lack of descriptions can be a problem, but so far everything I've bought has gone perfect. Quick replies, item condition as described, and fast shipping.

I have never haggled on price however. If the item is overpriced in the ad, I move on. If it's the part I want and the condition I can accept with a price I feel is fair, I contact the seller and ask how he/she would like to be paid. I DO like ads where shipping is included in price because it eliminates the back and forth on shipping quotes. Unless it's a large/heavy item, standard shipping rates should apply, and the seller should just include it to make the process easier.

Just my thoughts/experience
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I don't often sell anything and really hate doing it to tell you the truth. Here is why. I bought an exhaust system that I thought I could make work but I was wrong so - new in box for sale. $380 invested, asking $250. Got one call with a $100 offer and not willing to negotiate.

I have a '72 Westfailia, no engine or transaxle but lots of good parts. Advertised it as "come and get it for free". A couple calls wanting this or that - "Ya come take it off"- find out I am not right in town - never hear from them again!

If you don't spoon feed people stuff for next to nothing in return, then they don't want it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

If you don't spoon feed people stuff for next to nothing in return, then they don't want it.

Surprisingly I've run into many people who have the perception that while Bugs were cheap many years ago that they're still cheap today, so they are floored when they ask how much an old Bug costs, or how much parts are, or how much it costs to paint a Bug.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:

Surprisingly I've run into many people who have the perception that while Bugs were cheap many years ago that they're still cheap today, so they are floored when they ask how much an old Bug costs, or how much parts are, or how much it costs to paint a Bug.

^^^^

THIS

I replied to an ad in the bay window section for a WTB fog light lens. I bought a bunch of very nice reproduction ones from a member here years ago that hasn't logged in since.

at any rate, after some back and forth and being called a "thief" (essentially) and that it was a "hobby car, so it should be cheap" I told her you need to pay to play.....or stock up on neat shit while the getting is good.

I seldom sell....I may list something now and then but the aggravation isn't usually worth it.

and getting sellers to actually function is a chore. it's like dude...I am trying to GIVE YOU MONEY....it shouldn't be this hard....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

^^^^

THIS

I replied to an ad in the bay window section for a WTB fog light lens. I bought a bunch of very nice reproduction ones from a member here years ago that hasn't logged in since.

at any rate, after some back and forth and being called a "thief" (essentially) and that it was a "hobby car, so it should be cheap" I told her you need to pay to play.....or stock up on neat shit while the getting is good.

I seldom sell....I may list something now and then but the aggravation isn't usually worth it.

and getting sellers to actually function is a chore. it's like dude...I am trying to GIVE YOU MONEY....it shouldn't be this hard....

I think this is correct.....but this problem has four facets in my opinion.

1. As mentioned....too many buyers who think what that ACVWs are as cheap as tbey were 30 years ago.

2. There are a fair amount of sellers on here.....whose idea of what the actual market rate....or even premium above market rate..... is for parts...new or used......is factually wrong. Your over payment for parts when YOU bought them is not my problem. Of course....we as buyers are free to walk away from those sellers. But this is fair reason why a lot of parts do not move. Just because the car it goes on is getting increasingly rare....doea not instantly equate to every part being stratospheric in price.

3. The lazy seller in all of the shades mentioned here. Never checking messages....lousey pictures....crappy descriptions etc.

4. Too many sellers who have no knowledge or skin in the VW game....selling parts they know nothong about. Add to that....as some of you sellers know.....just as many people buying who know nothing....some of which are parts "flippers" looking to "whine" you into selling lower so they can mark it up and resell it on E-bay.

In short....know your products current and projected value. ....for both buyers and sellers. And bear in mind.....for buyers....you great need and lack of funds is not the buyers problem. To the sellers.....your original buying cost is irrelivent in regard to actual market value at any given time.
If you MUST have all of your original dollar investment back.....and its more than the current market value....then its simply a waiting game.....and is NOT the market being unfair or disinterested in your stuff. Ray
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Sometimes it's like the story where a couple put a good working older fridge from the basement out on the front walk with a "Works good, Free" sign on it. No takers in a week so they moved it back to the garage and changed the sign to "Works good $50".

It disappeared over night!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: