Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what has changed?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
A great Zen master once told me - only say, what will bring happiness to your audience - if it will not, then best to keep your thoughts, to yourself... is just this grasshopper's adopted rule

True that!

I do believe, however, that if you've been watching the news for any length of time, you would see an inherent bias towards the liberal side. I believe it transcends opinion and has now been fact for awhile.

I have a '51 split beetle, and a '60 single-cab.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
A great Zen master once told me - only say, what will bring happiness to your audience - if it will not, then best to keep your thoughts, to yourself... is just this grasshopper's adopted rule

True that!

I do believe, however, that if you've been watching the news for any length of time, you would see an inherent bias towards the liberal side. I believe it transcends opinion and has now been fact for awhile.

I have a '51 split beetle, and a '60 single-cab.

... I never watch TV. I only listen to (what I believe is) the truth on NPR - national public radio... with in depth coverage... try that out sometime

Sweet a 1951 split. I have had 5 splits in my time, but never a '51... the love of my life, besides my1955 Messerschmitt KR-175 was a 1950 11G also have a 1960 single, since 1995...our work truck....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

'51 split. It's a DBK car.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
'51 split. It's a DBK car.

What is a "DBK"car? Confused
Is that some kind of a special one-year-only model?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

469 pages for you to read

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Let's get back to the original topic please so I don't have to do any more clean up.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
I have 4 pages of parts in my wish-list (watched ads)... seems like not very many of those parts are moving - good for me, bad for the sellers. Also, my parts sales are down to almost nothing... used to move a few items a month - seems like a complete shift is occurring - i'm almost afraid to buy anything extra... afraid i'll get stuck with it...
What's going on? anyone care to speculate?

This is the original topic.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Back on topic, a lot of what I see/read here has reinforced that the old VW scene is not what it was 10-15 years ago. There are a lot fewer people daily driving their cars. A lot fewer people who will buy old parts just to make their car work. There are also fewer people in it just for the love of the car - the sort that'd just give somebody something they need because it will get their car fixed, whether that was a part, a manual, a tool, actual physical help, whatever.

When beetles were just silly old cars instead of vintage collectibles, the attitude was different and the whole scene seemed more chill. Ok, so what? Well 10-15 years ago you could still find beetles in parts yards commonly. You could still find parts for beetles at swap meets that weren't VW specific. People were used to finding used parts! As the original stuff dwindles, for some people it's no longer the first thing they think of, they just go online and look for a repro part.

Also people did not seem so picky in past, again, as they were just old cars, getting the specific right "one year only" part or whatever wasn't such a big deal. Fretting over the minutiae of what part changed on what serial number wasn't so much of a thing - people just wanted something that fit and worked. The upshot being you'd sell/trade more stuff because people wouldn't spend two hours looking at a part, then looking it up on the internet to make sure it had the correct number of divots or whatever for the month their car was made.

But I'll also stick with my original comment in this thread as well. Laughing
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Back on topic, a lot of what I see/read here has reinforced that the old VW scene is not what it was 10-15 years ago. There are a lot fewer people daily driving their cars. A lot fewer people who will buy old parts just to make their car work. There are also fewer people in it just for the love of the car - the sort that'd just give somebody something they need because it will get their car fixed, whether that was a part, a manual, a tool, actual physical help, whatever.

When beetles were just silly old cars instead of vintage collectibles, the attitude was different and the whole scene seemed more chill. Ok, so what? Well 10-15 years ago you could still find beetles in parts yards commonly. You could still find parts for beetles at swap meets that weren't VW specific. People were used to finding used parts! As the original stuff dwindles, for some people it's no longer the first thing they think of, they just go online and look for a repro part.

Also people did not seem so picky in past, again, as they were just old cars, getting the specific right "one year only" part or whatever wasn't such a big deal. Fretting over the minutiae of what part changed on what serial number wasn't so much of a thing - people just wanted something that fit and worked. The upshot being you'd sell/trade more stuff because people wouldn't spend two hours looking at a part, then looking it up on the internet to make sure it had the correct number of divots or whatever for the month their car was made.

... a lotta' truth there. Guess I still look at old VWs as just plain old cars and not special old collectables - yup, everything changes.

The old days were surly the best with early split bugs for a grand and a running bus for a couple a' hundred bux... A 1955 Messerschmitt , running for $500 - guess I should just be thankful for those GREAT OLD TIMES and the experience,

Saw a great old 1958 Morris Minor vert the other day on CL for under $2K... probably should go look cause I wanna' hold on to the past, just a little - had one like it 40 years ago... (more text below the pic)

More locally, I bought a mostly-complete 1965 bug offa' CL about 3 years ago for $400 and that was the last cheap VW bug on CL around here, I always think... sold it at a $200 loss to a friend who really liked it - adding to his happiness.

Thanks Mos6052 for your realizations, helping me catch up to this perceived reality... think you hit the nail on the head ...

... These days, we're told to, "buy American" by a certain demigod. Now, there's a scary thought.

Have lowered my parts prices by 1/2 in some cases and did real well in June... can't keep that up though.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

In the past I would tell the "buy American" guys my car has been here so long it's a naturalized citizen! Laughing
jensend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Few people born since the mid 1980s have much of an interest in what they consider to be "old" things (with the possible exception of the popularity of "mid-century" furnishings). This is very obvious in terms of what used to be called "collectibles" both in terms of objects and vehicles. Even Ebay has realized the shift in the buying public's preferences and is working to change its image to that of a source for primarily new items. They see the need to try and position themselves more along the lines of Amazon. The point is, vintage and antique things appeal to a shrinking demographic regardless of the nature of the item. It affects a host of things. Sadly vintage VWs are included in this situation.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

... a lotta' truth there. Guess I still look at old VWs as just plain old cars and not special old collectables - yup, everything changes.

The old days were surly the best with early split bugs for a grand and a running bus for a couple a' hundred bux... A 1955 Messerschmitt , running for $500 - guess I should just be thankful for those GREAT OLD TIMES and the experience,

Saw a great old 1958 Morris Minor vert the other day on CL for under $2K... probably should go look cause I wanna' hold on to the past, just a little - had one like it 40 years ago... (more text below the pic)

More locally, I bought a mostly-complete 1965 bug offa' CL about 3 years ago for $400 and that was the last cheap VW bug on CL around here, I always think... sold it at a $200 loss to a friend who really liked it - adding to his happiness.

Thanks Mos6052 for your realizations, helping me catch up to this perceived reality... think you hit the nail on the head ...

... These days, we're told to, "buy American" by a certain demigod. Now, there's a scary thought.

Have lowered my parts prices by 1/2 in some cases and did real well in June... can't keep that up though.

Maybe the old days seem better but we’re they really? Using the
price of old cars is just one measure, how about advances in medical science and disease prevention? Very Happy
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

price of old cars is just one measure, how about advances in medical science and disease prevention? Very Happy

I don't think there's a correlation between advances in medical science, and the prices of old cars. Laughing
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I don't think there's a correlation between advances in medical science, and the prices of old cars. Laughing

Yes that’s your understanding but dwelling on yesterday and longing for the past seems to be what we are talking about. I’m saying it ain’t all bad sure things cost more but hopefully you make more. The glass is half full that fact is good enough Very Happy
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Zundfolge1432... VW-wise, oh yes... of coarse there was no samba yet Sad
And X2 to Mos6502
...here's a 70s find for $250

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

And X2 to Mos6502

But prices were climbing at a rapid pace as the decade proceeded. In 1974 I bought a 1954 Porsche Cabriolet for 600 bucks and by the time I sold it in '79 it brought a whopping $900. Not a bad return on my money, eh?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

And X2 to Mos6502

But prices were climbing at a rapid pace as the decade proceeded. In 1974 I bought a 1954 Porsche Cabriolet for 600 bucks and by the time I sold it in '79 it brought a whopping $900. Not a bad return on my money, eh?

Yeah, you should have bought two. You woulda been RICH I tell ya!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

And X2 to Mos6502

When I got out of the *uckin' army active duty , in 1971, I bought a 1960 1600 super coupe for $400 and had the engine rebuilt for $700... used it a while, before selling it for $2900, to get a sweeter Triumph TR3...
... and by 1988, in NY State, I bought a pretty beat 1954 pre-A coupe for a grand - removed the 1100 engine and sold it to get my cash back. Then sold the steering wheel for $625 and put a bug, semi-batwing in along with a 1956 bug 36 horse - what a cool little runner it was. By 1990, I sold it for $5K - was a money maker - those were the great times.
Today is great too... just a different kinda' great.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I bought my 1-owner 1971 Super Convertible for $1300 back in 1976.

I bought my 1-owner 1970 sedan for $1100 back in 1972.

Still have and drive both...

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I bought my 1-owner 1971 Super Convertible for $1300 back in 1976.

I bought my 1-owner 1970 sedan for $1100 back in 1972.

Still have and drive both...

REAL NICE
... and another 70s comparison: my 1950 11G cost me $250. I "estored" it and sold it 10 years later for $4500 - that guy drove it home, from NY to Mass and covered it. That was 1985.
In 2005, he uncovered it and sold it in California for $60,000.
I am currently in touch with the current owner and he is REALLY restoring it to the letter.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: