Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

I thought I'd toss up a thread on our latest restoration, a 1955 ragtop we have named "Ragnar". This car is a result of combining three 1955 cars, some that came to us through unexpected circumstances.

The chassis showed up one day via a phone call from a local VW guy who said he has a complete rolling pan with a split case tranmission and a title and did we want it? Um....yes we did!

The engine appeared via storing some parts for another VW friend while he resettled on the west coast. It was a completely empty case from the same month in 1955. We struck a deal to buy it in exchange for some work I was doing on his split beetle.

So next was a hunt for a body, fenders, etc. This time theSamba came to the rescue and we found an amazing rust free 1955 three fold rag top also from the same month but without a chassis or title. Once again fate struck and we made the deal to buy it and had it shipped out here to MN.

Although the 55 came with many miscellaneous parts, many were for a later two fold so I did have some hunting and collecting to do to find everything else over the past 8+ years we've had the chassis.

We finally felt like we could get moving on this car so last Summer, hubby knocked out the body work and metal repairs and I got the engine, tranny, beam and chassis all restored. The car went to the painter last Fall.

While the car is off at the paint shop I've been collecting and restoring all the different pieces and parts so reassembly should go rather quickly. Since this car is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle I'm sure I'll be missing some stuff but I'm in no rush to get it reassembled. I'll try to take pictures of the different components as they go together.

We'll pick up the car in a couple of weeks and bring it home. For now, here are some pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

Fantastic! Since you are piecing together the major components, was the body color choice based on your favorite, or do you have documentation that it was originally this color? Will you build up the engine to stock specifications, or take some mild performance liberties?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

Great paint job.
Very Happy
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Fantastic! Since you are piecing together the major components, was the body color choice based on your favorite, or do you have documentation that it was originally this color? Will you build up the engine to stock specifications, or take some mild performance liberties?

Hubby really likes the strato silver so this was what we went with (my personal favorite is coral red).

The body had about four different colors on it. There was a bunch of what I'll call fire engine red on the interior in places that usually don't get paint so I don't know what color it was. Some of the pieces in the boxes were diamond green, some were strato silver, some were black. I don't think without a birth certificate we"ll ever know.

I wanted to do an old speed Okrasa or similar but at the time I built the engine, the WW kits were still getting the bugs worked out. I may still go that route but for now, the engine is bone stock. One of the reasons the previous owner kept this case was the palindrome-like number: 1-1070701

It's been a while since the engine was assembled so it is dusty Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Embarassed

It will be all beautiful before the body goes on.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

This is sweet!!!
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

very nice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

That's a really nice paint job and really nice prep. There are some serious hours there.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
There are some serious hours there.

This would be an understatement Laughing

The guy that does our painting is bar none, the best we've ever seen. Absolutely stunning paint jobs are a result of what is done underneath the color.

We're picking it up this weekend and I'm really stoked to see it again in person. When we dropped it off it was just bare metal.
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

great project
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

We picked up Ragnar today and we're over the moon with the color and the quality of the work.

We did a temporary assembly to be able to transport that car home.

We also dropped off a 1952 ragtop split beetle for a customer. It will be Azure blue.

Now the journey home and the slow, careful reassembly.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

Very Happy !
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

beautiful!
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

Amazing!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

Looks great!
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

Seems to be a really nice car!
And a nice scandinavian name, Ragnar Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

I forgot how fun it is to assemble a freshly painted car. Shocked

I'm working on assembling the bolt on stuff in clean, carpeted area, one piece at a time.

I was going to assemble the license light and get that on the decklid. I have the seal between the housing and decklid, a larger, rubber seal for the engine side, a clear plastic lens and wing nuts for the engine side.

My dilemma is I have two license housing lenses and only one works with the bulb holder I have. Which one is right for an April 1955?

Both fit loosely in the groove of the housing so I assume there must be a seal of some sort that belongs in the channel? I've found nothing listed in the usual supplier websites.

Finally, the seal between the housing and decklid seems very tight and does not want to stay on. Also, the bottom edge looks like it should seal on something, but it doesn't. Any suggestions on installation?

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

I also got a few things done on the chassis in preparation for the body to be married back to the pan.

Transmission gear oil filled
Engine oil filled
Outer axle boot straps installed on the one piece boots.
Was going to hook up the heater boxes but I need to replace the cable Sad
Tighten down some of the front end components
Mounted the tires and wheels on the chassis
Filled the strap over air cleaner with oil
Fitted the choke cable and then realized it needs to come out so it can run through the body Rolling Eyes
Was going to connect the accelerator cable to the carb but I cant find the conduit, spring, etc. Rolling Eyes

Here's where the transmission gets filled.

So many details to follow up on, but I'll tackle one issue at a time until the car is done.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

OK, I found this picture in the gallery. Does anyone know what year this light and lens are for?

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

I assembled my heart taillights for Ragnar.

I started with complete, original Heart lights but had to disassemble for painting. Here's what I started with.

There was some sort of crumbling sealing material between the heart lens and the housing, between the oval lens and the chrome trim, and between the chrome trim and the housing.

Brezelwerks advertises they sell a seal for two of the areas, but I placed an order with Gary and waited and waited and waited and never heard a word so I got a refund and set about an alternate path.

The stuff that was under the heart lens and between the oval glass and the trim seemed to be similar to plumbers putty. I read other descriptions of this stuff being used in similar applications so that's what I went with. If it doesn't work out, I can disassemble things and go an alternate route.

Here are the pieces

I put a liberal amount in between the lens and the trim and in the housing.

I then pressed the trim and lens into the housing and used a small angled needle nose pliers to crimp each of the chromed teeth over the housing edge to lock in the lens.

Once that was done, I cleaned up the excess putty using a small wooden coffee stir stick and finally my finger.

The lens feels tight in the housing and I think when the putty firms up a bit, will be quite fine for what I need it to do.

For the heart lens, I basically did the same.

I think they turned out ok!

gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Our latest restoration "Ragnar" 1955 three fold rag top Reply with quote

Is that an aluminum case?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: