Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

Hello folks-

I'm spoiled at my work in our shop with a huge Portacool. It is the largest they make- and cools about 4000sqft of shop very well- save for the noise. My subject is what do folks use for their home shop. I've got about 700ft in my main work area of my detached garage. I also host the occasional patio thing that roasts grandparents and melts homemade ice cream before its eaten. I'm investigating portable coolers (Portacool models in particular in the 110v, 16" and smaller range and they run about $800-1000 on their website) and really want to know what other folks use.

Are there rival companies folks love I should check?

PS- There's one other "cooler" thread- but the subject switches between thermadors and swamps with no clarity.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

How much humidity is normal for your region? If you live in a region with “dry heat” then a swamp cooler will work for you. In my area, the humidity level is usually 90% or more (currently 97%). When the air is already this thick, an evaporative cooler doesn’t work.

Unless you want to dump a large amount of money into a hulking appliance that you might only use 3-4 times a year, you can invest in a large awning, buy misting nozzles
https://www.aeromist.com/misting-nozzles.html
& a few box fans/squirrel cage blowers & cool a much larger area.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

I use a 10,000 BTU window AC unit in my 2 car garage. It works good on days when it is 95 or hotter it keeps it at around 75 also keeps the humidity down. They are only 270.00 and does not take up floor space.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

I like the idea of the portable cooler as you can use it for other applications. I think you are in a dry low humidity region. Go for it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

Boise Idaho is often near triple digits temps in the summer, with near single digit humidity. Swamp coolers work very well there.

Bradford, I have no experience with the particular brand of cooler you mention, but they seem to work. For your shop, a permanent swamp cooler would likely do well. For outside, the recommendation of misters and fans might be better.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I also host the occasional patio thing that roasts grandparents and melts homemade ice cream before its eaten.

The first time I read it I was trying to imagine what roasted grandparents taste like. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

I'm interested too in suggestions. Where I live, it's often 95 and 95 percent humidity. I have fans but they blow hot air. The shop gets hotter than that and I have two ceiling fans also
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
I'm interested too in suggestions. Where I live, it's often 95 and 95 percent humidity. I have fans but they blow hot air. The shop gets hotter than that and I have two ceiling fans also

Think of it as getting into a car that has had standing water in the floorboards after it has been sitting in your shop, it’s even more stagnant.

Evaporative cooling only works if the air isn’t already at maximum saturation.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
bigdog1962 wrote:

Think of it as getting into a car that has had standing water in the floorboards after it has been sitting in your shop, it’s even more stagnant.

Evaporative cooling only works if the air isn’t already at maximum saturation.

Yep, just like sweat. In Georgia, sweating doesn't cool you much. In Arizona, you can't sweat enough to keep up.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Boise Idaho is often near triple digits temps in the summer, with near single digit humidity. Swamp coolers work very well there.

Bradford, I have no experience with the particular brand of cooler you mention, but they seem to work. For your shop, a permanent swamp cooler would likely do well. For outside, the recommendation of misters and fans might be better.

I unfortunately need something portable- as I move around a lot and the ergonomics (messes) in my garage seem to always change where I'm wrenching or drinking. I suspect anything will work well- even the smaller Honeywell units from Costco. But holy cow, that Portacool is sweet. Id rather have one I need to turn down from time to time than one that must always work at max capacity. It's 87 here today- and I already want to flee my garage. Cool

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

I have the biggest window unit before you go to 220....I think it's a 15,000 BTU (would have to check)

it cools my 4 bay shop with 14' ceilings no problem and that's bringing cars in/out multiple times a day.

averages 70* in here during the day. 65* if I have a car in all day and don't open the door. it's nice to work with your bean bag not sticking to your leg

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
....16" and smaller range and they run about $800-1000 on their website) ........

Sounds like it's time for a trip to Harbor freight for one of those big drum fans and a small water pump, not sure where you would find the coconut matting or whatever they use now for the wicking surface, maybe your local A/C service guy knows? An underbed storage tote for a water tank and some creative pop riveting and duct taping of some flashing or sheet metal for the shroud could come up with a similar rig, those Portacools look sweet, but there's not much science involved in them that you can't duplicate at home.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

Smile Yup- they are bloody expensive. I still do want something slick and safe enough that my wife can roll it around the porch. Portacool has a little bit of that extra name-recog. value in them. But when they approach the price of whole cars...

FU#5
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

You could install a mini split system and also get heat in the winter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

Thanks toolbox- fortunately I've already got a small NG heater in the ceiling- along with a large overhead fan.

FU#5
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

I have a little portable AC unit like this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-8-000-BTU-Portab.../300013684

It works ok for the garage but I believe thats mostly my garages fault. There is a big lack of insulation. When one of my AC units for the house went out, I used the portable unit inside and it worked good. The room I had it in is about the size of a 4 car garage and it kept the room at around 80° when it was 100° out. The thing that I dont like about it is that there is a big duct that you have to run outside. There is also a water drain line that needs to go outside.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of one of those for the porch- excellent outdoor application. Thanks for the tip!

FU#5
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

It’s the right way to cool. Adds moisture to the air which helps your body cool also.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

Quote:
t's nice to work with your bean bag not sticking to your leg

Its my knee for me
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Shop Coolers- Opinions? Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
It’s the right way to cool. Adds moisture to the air which helps your body cool also.

Only if you're in a dry climate. If it's 90% humidity or more, the body's natural evaporative cooling system only leads to swamp-ass, adding more moisture to the air doesn't help.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: