Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exasperation
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Exasperation Reply with quote

Well it has to happen.... My picture hosting site had meltdown and my account is screwed and all my help graphics (not hosted here) are probably lost ...

I know, not truly a KIT CAR discussion item, but this is where I consider my "home" on the Samba...

Just had to vent.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

Sux Dale.

I host most of my pictures on my own site. The hosting company does daily backups and i from the entire site to my own desktop weekly. I used to use Photobucket for some "throwaway" pictures but we all know how that worked out

For VW specific pictures, using the samba gallery is best since Everett backsup the server.

Lesson learned.

Try using archive.com's way back machine and see if you can recover some pictures.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

I know, not truly a KIT CAR discussion item, but this is where I consider my "home" on the Samba...

Just had to vent.....

Dale

I know how you feel about here being home, I started with a dunebuggy and now have a baja but still prefer here.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

Dale, looks like you're 50/50 with the performance forum.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Dale, looks like you're 50/50 with the performance forum.

Yeah, but I have dune buggy as primary toy... I would post the pic, but...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

Ol' Dale even spends some time over at the HBB Offroad forum.

I understand your grief Dale. Way back when , I investigated the mushrooming photo "storage" site market. I even did a huge spreadsheet of all the sites available at one time and the list got to near 100. I had been with Photobucket for some time by then and decided they provided the best all around service then. But I also had accounts with Kodak (bought a couple of cameras from them and got "free" accounts from them. Flickr, GooglePics, SnapFish, Shutterfly, Imgur, Fotki, Slickpic, ImageShack, and a couple of others. Most all have folded, merged, or turned into a profit hungry monster like Photobucket. None have provided the "forever" service they sold me on for very long. Obviously, what is taught in business courses in college these days is not "moderate profits over the long term". It's ALL about "Grab ALL the cash NOW, then split for some other opportunity to grab cash elsewhere".
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

Well it was Flickr, acquired by SmugMug a week or two ago, they promised terms of service and such would not change, ... What they did not promise is that they would not screw up when they tried to change from YAHOO servers or where ever, to some new servers that they would not screw it up...

Been using them since 2007 and everything was grand.... May 25, 2018 it all fell apart...

Grrrr...

Dale

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

My Kodak photos were transferred to Flickr a few years ago at the time of a merger/whatever. All of mine were lost at the time. Fortunately, I've never trusted ANY of them to not lose my pictures and so have always had them stored elsewhere as well. So such companies have lost links, but never lost my pictures.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

We have all our pictures on SD cards and at the moment... no issues.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

I probably have many of them "somewhere" luckily I have 400+ pic's of red buggy build on a CD someplace, and a lot of stuff scattered across at least two computers, when and where the time it will take to find them makes me wonder if the effort is worth it... Might build new archive if I can find a decent way to safely host them, surely going to find what I can and build archive on backup hard drive, good project for a dark and stormy night and hope power does not go out...

Word to those that will take warning... Create a archive and back it up regularly... Get stack of CD's and burn a lot... Specially if you have them hosted online or in the cloud... I have no trust in cloud storage from get go, and this debacle just proves it...

Dale

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I probably have many of them "somewhere" luckily I have 400+ pic's of red buggy build on a CD someplace, and a lot of stuff scattered across at least two computers, when and where the time it will take to find them makes me wonder if the effort is worth it... Might build new archive if I can find a decent way to safely host them, surely going to find what I can and build archive on backup hard drive, good project for a dark and stormy night and hope power does not go out...

Word to those that will take warning... Create a archive and back it up regularly... Get stack of CD's and burn a lot... Specially if you have them hosted online or in the cloud... I have no trust in cloud storage from get go, and this debacle just proves it...

Dale

We have never used any of the archiving options you mentioned. In the past we have lost our pictures twice to failed computers but thankfully they are still all on the camera cards. All we really lost was the time and effort we put in to edit and organize them.
Anyone know how long CDs a SDs last?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

They will last no longer than the already very old CD/DVD technology is common. When was the last time you read the data on a floppy disc? Or got film developed? Or listened to music on a vinyl record?
SoCalBajas Member
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Or listened to music on a vinyl record?

I have over 1500 albums and a few dozen 78s.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
They will last no longer than the already very old CD/DVD technology is common. When was the last time you read the data on a floppy disc? Or got film developed? Or listened to music on a vinyl record?

Well My wife still uses film camera, and I am in process of putting some selected albums into digital format... Yes I still have functioning turntable and grandson was totally amazed by it...

The irony of this my digital camera won't take a pic due to it being unhappy with "auto" conditions and my wife POS film camera will get picture.... Yes DSLR and I know how to use it, just made bad choice in camera brand...

But as for floppy disks, new computer does not even have floppydrive....

Dale

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

Dale, are you still on copper with dialup?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Dale, are you still on copper with dialup?

DSL (copper to fiber), but have dial-up capabilities on old computer, no modem for new computer (that may change soon) ... But I have VHS tape player and VHS tapes...

THE GOOD NEWS IS I recovered the Flickr account.... Been doing battle with YAHOO Logins which was a nightmare had to pull up a new browser never used before (no incorrect bookmarks/passwords/cache garbage left behind) and copy URL from really old bookmark file from secondary browser not used for quite some time.... About 6-8 hours of time invested(wasted) ..

Life is good again (I hope)...

Dale

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

I never have and never will use a 2nd party to host my photos. I have disks and thumb drives full but the only photos I have hosted anywhere are on this site and they are on a drive somewhere at home.

I still shoot in film for special events with my trusty 40 year old Pentax K1000. The problem with digital is no one thinks or takes the time looking at the composition of a photo. They just take 1000 pictures and hope for the best. I have seen some truly horrific wedding albums done by "professional" photographers who think and expensive SLR and photo-shop makes them a pro. My Dad was a photographer and took pictures for law enforcement for 30 years. He taught me a lot about what goes into a good picture, something I am forever grateful for.

Glad you got your pictures back Dale.

brad
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Exasperation Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I never have and never will use a 2nd party to host my photos. I have disks and thumb drives full but the only photos I have hosted anywhere are on this site and they are on a drive somewhere at home.

I still shoot in film for special events with my trusty 40 year old Pentax K1000. The problem with digital is no one thinks or takes the time looking at the composition of a photo. They just take 1000 pictures and hope for the best. I have seen some truly horrific wedding albums done by "professional" photographers who think and expensive SLR and photo-shop makes them a pro. My Dad was a photographer and took pictures for law enforcement for 30 years. He taught me a lot about what goes into a good picture, something I am forever grateful for.

Glad you got your pictures back Dale.

brad

Thanks.... I am not a photographer, but take upscale snapshots (don't cut heads or feet off like my wife does) .... have Sony A300 DSLR and its most miserable POS I have had, my old Olympus snapshot digital (point and shoot) and my Android tablet are better... Yes to do editing, and have some decent pictures, and many not ever printed, luckily digital film is cheap.... Took course on B&W FILM photography (local J.C.) back in 70's, remember some of it forgot a lot... There was something (seems romantic now) about watching picture come out in darkroom, that digital does not have....

Project now it to at least backup working pics for Flickr, and maybe start finding and cataloging 100's of pics scattered over at least 2 computers...

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: