Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Hey there VW experts! Last summer I bought a sand rail with what I was told is a 1600 do and it had a swing axle tranny until we busted a ring gear into 5 pieces out on the sand. After a winter of tear down a shit load of fabrication and a lot of money I now have irs married with a bus 3 rib. And lots of suspension upgrades. I was told it's a tail dragger in the right conditions but I've tried dumping clutch at 4k (not from dead stop but moving fairly slowly) I can get a few inches with 1 person. Am I in danger of breaking stuff that way? Am I gonna be out a 900$ tranny in one summer? I wanna look at the sky from the driver's seat! Tips on doing it correctly!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

More horsepower... You can see lots of sky and drain bank account in process.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Oh I don't doubt that one little bit lol I've put 7k into this bastard including the 3k buy. I'm extremely new to this particular branch of sand. I've owned many quads. It's a stock 1600 DP, I put svda distributor on it have it timed to 38 degrees btdc at full advance, dual exhaust and because of the shit empi 34pict3 I bought last season only lasted 3 rides I'm now getting dual 40 solex kadrons. Am I going to toast that 3 rib bus tranny by dropping the clutch like that? Or is it tighter than that?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Dual kadron's are ok, but a set of dual Weber or HPMX's 40's would do you better...

It takes horsepower and torque to get pinion to climb up ring gear... Its that simple a lot of the big boy run things like Mendiola (Sp?).... Probably best way is to let rpm climb as you let out clutch so slack is taken out of gear train as power curve gets high enough to lift front end.... reality is if you get it wrong something is eventually going to break...

Back about 1968 I had a sand rail (we called them something else them) that was made of tubing and had "something" of a motor, dont remember what, would barely do wheelie on sand, but on hard pavement, got front end up and went for long city block on rear wheels, glad for steering brakes....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

With enough ballast you can make anything pull a wheelie.
https://www.google.com/search?q=f+bomb+wheelie&...p;ie=UTF-8
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

So what ur saying is as long I've removed the slack from the ring and pinion via letting the clutch out a little slower I'm a lot less likely to share another ring gear? I would love to shove a mendeola in there but when I spent 7k it was bits and pieces I don't believe I'll ever have enough to purchase one of them things. I looked at the Weber's and the empi 40s I've seen mixed reviews on them but there seems to be a lot less negative said about the original solex kadrons only the wink linkage they usually come with. But it just happens a friend has the solex ones with manifolds for 220 I just need linkage and air cleaners. So I'll be into them about 350 as oppose to 600 with a whole kit.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Pictures... ?
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

relocate battery behind axle .. steel wheels up front? get aluminum and lighter tires.. and more HP....
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Lose the bug engine & put in a VW water pumper, Ford 2.3, or even some of the V6 engines. The cast iron blocks will add more weight behind the axle & give you 2-3x the HP & torque without overstressing the internals like modifying an ACVW. The transmission on the other hand...

You gotta learn not to "shock" the drive line. When you rev it up & dump the clutch, you have a lot of rotating mass & inertia that doesn't like come to a stop instantly & that's where you begin to find the weakest link. If the tires don't slip then you follow the chain through the hubs, CVs, axles, transmission, & so on. You can save a lot of the components by preloading the driveline & rolling into the throttle. Without quite a bit of HP, this method probably isn't going to give you the results that you are wanting, but at least you will still be driving it as opposed to working on it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Any time you are hammering it hard enough to pick the front end up, you are really putting a ton of load on the gears. Taking up slack to reduce shock load helps, but at the end of the day, it is still a lot of power. The 3 rib 002 has a much stronger ring and pinion than the big transmissions but the gear stack is more or less the same with approximately the same power limits. I suspect you could strip out 1st if hammering in it too much. The later 1st gears were stronger than the earlier ones, but it is still a small gear any way you cut it. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Donald Mace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Trying to wheelie is the fastest way not to make it back to camp. Try just having fun and you will find the right dune and you will be the wheelie king. Your bus box is good but you can break it too. More power would help but also will kill.
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

So from what I'm gathering don't drop the clutch like I have been. Use power instead and change my weight around. Thank u guys for the help! I'll keep an eye out for a bigger motor but unless it's a barn find it probably won't happen. Thank you guys again glad I joined this forum! I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions about stuff later on I bought this thing as a project to learn about these vw!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Put your 200 pound barbell weight set on very rear of cage....

Dale

Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Maybe I should put a steering wheel back there and just hang my own 280 lb fat ass off there lol seems safe right?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Yup, hang your ass off the back, then you stuff two would be participants in the rail.

You need a Mullet for best effect.

Link

Don’t forget your beverage of choice while shouting “HEY YALL! WATCH THIS.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Or you can get a large turbo so you are already in gear before the boost kicks in. That is how I am designing my setup. and a 2.3 turbo motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

I have dabbled a little into the turbo scenario but I'd have to do a do it yourself kit and I have been searching but so far I haven't found much for an explanation on how or pics for that matter. I'm guessing many keep it a secret for a reason.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

Short.logger515 wrote:
I have dabbled a little into the turbo scenario but I'd have to do a do it yourself kit and I have been searching but so far I haven't found much for an explanation on how or pics for that matter. I'm guessing many keep it a secret for a reason.

Have you looked or asked how to do it in Performance Engines & Transmissions section...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Dale

Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Properly doing wheelies in my rail please help before I break so Reply with quote

1835, panchito heads, w125 cam, dual 44s, 9.5:1 compression, CW crank. Triple the hp of a stock 1600 dp.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: