Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Wiring questions Reply with quote

This has to do with the illumination wiring on a 73’ , the grey with red tracer coming out of E1 light switch and splitting off from terminal 58b and this is the wiring I got from The Thing Shop’s kit. Both ends are the small terminals and the 3 in the middle regular size. Looks to me that there are not enough wire or terminals. How do I wire it up, they couldn’t answer me? When this problem is done I’ve got one about the brake harness too. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

It may be for the '74 model.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

It has been a while since I did my wiring job, but I am almost positive that wire connected all the various switch lights together to headlight switch. Basically it provided power so that the (B)rake light, defroster light, etc. would come on with the headlights.

jay
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

They said no difference in model years, and yes it does do the lighting but what I’m asking is did the wiring change from the split wire coming from the headlight switch at 58b terminal to a single wire bypassing the 58b terminal on the emergency flasher switch.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

Yes thats definitely for light illumination
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

I just looked at my wiring. The wire in your picture is the same one that is on my '74 model. It starts at the light switch (small female connector) then goes to 2 lights in the speedo, then goes to the emergency flasher and finally to the brake light ( small connector). I think you need another wire to pick up the '73 heater stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

Yes he will
One for the “DEF” lens on the extreme left above the heat regulator control cable and another to the right for the DEF/HEAT Rectangular lens next to the glove box
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

I’m at about the same stage as you on my 73. It’s been a few days, but as I recall I had to add a wire going from terminal 58b on the light switch to the heater timer switch, and replace the small ends on the new harness with regular spade ends - one for the light switch and the other to go to the light by the heater/defrost lever. I don’t have my speedo back in yet so I’ll have to see if I’m still one short.

I don’t think I had a wire from this harness going to the brake warning light (not sure why you would want to illuminate a warning light unless there was a problem). And as I recall the light over the temperature pull knob is fed from the heater timer switch. Just working from memory as I am out of town.

I think the brake harness really only has three connections outside of the plugs that go on the switches. One gets power from the fuse box, one goes to the brake warning light through a single connector in the dash, and then there is a connector under the dash where it plugs into the rear harness to feed the brake lights.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

Okay. First off, I'm sure Al misspoke when he mentioned the grey/red wire going to the brake warning light. He meant the defrost lever lamp.

The grey/red wire you have has 5 spade connectors on it. But you need 7 total. In the order that they appear on my factory harness, they are:

DEF lamp bezel (L16) above the Temperature Regulating Switch knob (small spade)
Light Switch (E1 58b) (small spade)
Heater Timer Switch (E16 58b) marked as Y1 on your diagram (multi-connector)
Speedometer bulb-left (L6) (large spade)
Speedometer bulb-right (L6) (large spade)
Emergency Flasher Switch (E3 58b) (large spade?)
Defrost Lever Bezel lamp (L21) (small spade?)

Where there are question marks above after the spade sizes, I did not see the actual spades, and made an assumption.

Your choice is to add connectors to what you were given or start fresh.

Here is a question for you. In your photo am I seeing two sizes of spade connectors, or three? The lower left one looks to be an in-between size — or is that an optical illusion? If it is its own size, perhaps that gets put into the multi-connector that plugs into the heater timer switch. Assuming you were going to use what you were given, and referring to your photo again, the two connectors on the right side would go into the speedo. The lower left would go into the heater timer switch. The center left would go into the light switch. The top one would go into the defrost lever lamp. Then you would add a jumper at each end. The jumper added to the middle left connector end would go to the DEF lamp above the heater temperature knob, and would have a small spade. And the jumper connected to the top connector would go to the emergency flasher switch and have a large spade.

Why is the harness you were sent wrong? I have no idea. However, at one time, and for a long period of time, the original emergency flasher switch (111 953 235 G) was unavailable and was being substituted with a bus switch (211 953 235 A) which was not illuminated, and the grey/red wire was not used on the substitute switch. Maybe the harness was designed during the time that the correct switch was unavailable.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

Thanks Captain, I did mistakenly say brake warning light. I should have said the small light for the heating levers. Like I said before, that wire is for a '74 model not a '73. It is identical to the one on my '74 Thing.
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

Captain, thank you and yes there are only 2 sizes of the spades. Maybe you can answer another wiring question for me?? The master brake switch wires, i understand the boots go to the switch’s on the master cylinder and the next wire coming out of the loom plugs into the harness coming from the rear of car but the end wires, 2 blacks connected together with regular disconnect and the 2 reds are attached with a long spade. They both appear to be 10 gauge wire, the wiring diagram shows that the 2 red connects down to a 16g to the brake warning light that has the small connectors and the black splits also with 16g to the fuse panel with reg connector and the other down the the warning switch, small connector. Will the smaller wires handle the load from the 10g wires??
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

abcdleines wrote:
Will the smaller wires handle the load from the 10g wires??

Yes. It's the bulbs that determine the load. The stop lights nominally draw 23 watts apiece, which comes to a combined 3.8 amps, approximately. 16 ga. wire will handle it no problem.
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

Captain, one more question please. In regards to the illumination bulb wiring, i added 3 other gauges, oil pressure, oil temp and volt. All are illuminated, can I add these in line after the 58b terminal on the emergency switch and before the end at the defroster light. Thanks again, you’ve been a Huge help.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

abcdleines wrote:
Captain, one more question please. In regards to the illumination bulb wiring, i added 3 other gauges, oil pressure, oil temp and volt. All are illuminated, can I add these in line after the 58b terminal on the emergency switch and before the end at the defroster light. Thanks again, you’ve been a Huge help.

Yes, as long as you wire them in parallel. That is, each gauge has its own route to ground.
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

Ok Captain here’s another electrical question regardingg the extra gauges I have. Wired the lights in with the other bulbs as we had talked about. Grounded those three in line and now have a question about powering them. This is what I’m going off of, does this look correct? Buddy of mine says all I have to do is the lower half of the picture?? Don’t you need power to the gauges?? If I do have to wire up like the top of pic, why would I need to run more grounds? As you can probably tell I’m more of a visual type guy. Thanks again for all your technical know how.

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

not Captain here.

Top one is for powering the gauge, they need power.

Bottom one is for lights, they need lights.

Apparently:
The ground on the gauge will not ground the light.
The ground on the light will not ground the gauge.

You can run a split on each gauge to ground them.
You can not run a split on power as one is light power and the other gauge power.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"

Last edited by YDBD on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

Thank you, that’s what I thought.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

YDBD is correct.

The drawing you posted is a little confusing because it shows the senders wired up in the bottom drawing with the lights, rather than in the top drawing with the gauge wiring.

abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

For power to the gauges, I’ve already done the lights, can I piggyback off the #7 bottom fuse position where the grey wire is or is there another keyed source that would be better?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions Reply with quote

abcdleines wrote:
For power to the gauges, I’ve already done the lights, can I piggyback off the #7 bottom fuse position where the grey wire is or is there another keyed source that would be better?

The gray wire at the no. 7 fuse is switched at the light switch. It feeds the dash lights and all the marker lights. If you power the gauges from there the gauges will only work when the lights are on. Better to tap in on the downstream side of the no. 1 or 2 fuses. Then the gauges will be energized when the key is switched on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: