Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

As promised we are posting what we would like to do for the next round of letter writing. Normally we try to send letters via Snail Mail, but this round we want to fill 4 email inboxes. Most of the time we ask that you write a letter in your own words, but seeing as this round is going out as an email we will provide a form letter. Would really like to see a minimum of 231 emails hit each persons inbox. That is only 10% of the membership of the Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, Kitcar Facebook Group. Please take a moment to help!
This round will be a little different as I have already sent an email to each person on the list with a copy of a letter from NHTSA to Mr. Matsumoto that says NHTSA has generally considered Dune Buggies & Kitcars to be Used Vehicles, and none of the FMVSS that apply to new completed vehicles apply to Dune Buggies & Kitcars. I will also attach a Bill passed by Hawaii in 2004, which amends law to include vehicles that are replicas of vehicles manufactured before 1968 as a “Street rod vehicle.” Includes “Dune Buggy Replica Vehicles” as special interest vehicles, requires seat belts.
The letter from NHTSA as well as the Bill that was passed by Hawaii has been sent to them before, and the information was always dismissed. At this point we need to ask the question OVER, and OVER, and OVER again. PLEASE take a moment to send an email to each of the people I have listed!
Whitney Brewster – Executive Director of the TxDMV – [email protected]
Raymond Palacios – Chairman of the Board of Directors of the TxDMV – [email protected]
David Duncan – Director of the Office of General Counsel for the TxDMV – [email protected]
Jeremiah Kuntz – Director of TxDMV Titles & Registration – [email protected]
The form letter is the very first message in this post. All you will have to do is cut & Paste it into an email to each person above.
It has been said many times over the last few weeks, there is strength in numbers! We have all got to stick together in order to be taken seriously! PLEASE SEND THE EMAILS, it has been made as easy as we can for you to do so. If you are a Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, Kitcar Owner this directly affects YOU in many ways. If you are an out of state Dune Buggy, Sandrail, Kitcar Owner this indirectly affects you! Mostly in your pocket book, as the resale value of ALL Dune Buggies, Sandrail, & Kitcars have taken a hit! So please send the emails no matter where you call home!

ENTER PERSONS NAME HERE;

I am ENTER YOUR NAME HERE. I am writing with concerns about Administrative Rule 217.3, and the effects it has on Dune Buggies, Sandrails, and Kitcars. This rule has a direct effect on Texas Residents & an indirect effect on people who live outside the state of Texas. I urge you to make a change sooner rather than later.
During the original proposal of the rule change for 217.3, Ms. Flores & Mr. Kuntz certified that there will be no impact on local economies or overall employment as a result of administering the amendments. I am not sure how the above could less true. The TxDMV is no longer receiving funds from the legal registration of Dune Buggies, Sandrails, as well as Kitcars. But Texas is missing out on the tax from the Automotive Enthusiasts spending money for parts during the build, as well as upgrades along the way. Some enthusiasts often pay shops to repair or upgrade they Assembled Vehicle. The state also loses out on the taxes from people purchasing fuel for the assembled vehicle, as well as the vehicles trailering to shows. The state is also not able to receive funds from tourism as people like to gather and go for weekend trips to enjoy a common interest. (Tax from Hotel/Motel, Café/Restaurants, etc.) I also know of on Dune Buggy Manufacture that has stopped producing parts for Dune Buggies because people in his home state can no longer enjoy their assembled vehicles for their intended use. The owner of DF Kitcar has spoken at multiple meeting about how the Rule Change has a very negative affect on his business as people in his home state cannot legally Title/register the kitcar he builds in his home state. If memory serves me correctly, Mr. Doyle said that this has cost him a minimum of $10,000.00 a month. Added together, I am not sure how Ms. Flores and Mr. Kuntz could overlook the overall economic impact of Administrative Rule 217.3. Mr. Kuntz also stated that the proposed changes will also discourage the operation on Texas roads of unsafe vehicles, thereby increasing public safety. This statement really confuses me, as I know the TxDMV has been asked to show statistics showing the results of accidents concerning Assembled Vehicles. The statistics were never produced by the TxDMV, and I have never been able to find them on my own. So I am very unclear on how an Assembled Vehicle can be seen as unsafe.
When Mr. Kuntz is asked about Administrative Rule 217.3, the first thing he does is talk about how it is a very complicated issue. He then goes on to say that Assembled Vehicles, also known as Dune Buggies, Sandrails, or Kitcars are not compliant with FMVSS rules. Faron Smith of Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, & Kitcar sent you an email that I hope you have read before receiving my email. It the email from Mr. Smith he attached a letter from NHTSA that states, NHTSA has generally considered Dune Buggies & Kitcars to be Used Vehicles, and none of the FMVSS that apply to new completed vehicles apply to Dune Buggies & Kitcars. Mr. Smith also attached a copy of the Bill Passed by Hawaii in 2004. This path has already been cleared for Texas by a much smaller state, in addition a total of 31 other are allowing LEGAL Title & Registration as of the time this email was written. I am not here to insult another state, but I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that. California, the state with the strictest rules/laws when it comes to Vehicles will allow Assembled Vehicles to have Registration, and Texas a State that boasts about freedom the most does not allow Street Legal us of Dune Buggies, Sandrails, & Kitcars.
I understand that you are extremely busy, and I have taken up some of your time. However, I do feel very strongly on the issues that I have with Administrative Rule 217.3. I hope you will take my email into consideration & help make a change during the next TxDMV Board meeting. Not only will Texas be watching so will people from all over the nation.

Thank you for your time,

Put You Name here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

I did it . . . to all 4 of 'em. . . hope it helps! Wink
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Thank You! I hope hundreds of people do, after all it will only take 10 minutes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

sent
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Thank You!
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Not trying to nitpick but you may want to correct some of the errors in the text before cutting and pasting.

I’ll be emailing today.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Done... Because stupid California may try it next

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Thank You!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

How would Texas handle Emissions inspection on buggies?

bnc
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Very few Counties in Texas Test for emissions.

But we are working on setting up a Assembled Vehicle Category much like Hot Rod, Motorcycle, Autocycle. So we wouldn't have to go through Emissions Testing Like all of them.

Did you send in your form letters?
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

I just sent mine too.
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Done, Thanks Faron!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

bnc

Simply like calif.... Anything 75 and older is smog exempt, even new build (SPCN) if engines numbers designate it as 75 and older its still exempt.... IF newer, has to conform to smog rules for year model (sucks but works)...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Not trying to nitpick but you may want to correct some of the errors in the text before cutting and pasting.

I’ll be emailing today.

Agree. That letter needs some editing and reformatting to make it much more readable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

I did not copy and paste the above letter. It is entirely way too long to be effective. I wrote a short letter (about 75 words)stating my desire to keep all Dunebuggy, Sandrail, and kit cars street legal in Texas.

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

Simply like calif.... Anything 75 and older is smog exempt, even new build (SPCN) if engines numbers designate it as 75 and older its still exempt.... IF newer, has to conform to smog rules for year model (sucks but works)...

Dale

Thus, my question. If the car has to be titled & registered in year built, you may be well and truly foo'd.

bnc[/i]
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

I got a message in my inbox . . . my email to Whitney Brewster was not delivered!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

On Whitney Brewster email address change the .com to .gov and resend it

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
On Whitney Brewster email address change the .com to .gov and resend it

Did it . . . Thanks Dave!

Did anybody else use the wrong email address?
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I did not copy and paste the above letter. It is entirely way too long to be effective. I wrote a short letter (about 75 words)stating my desire to keep all Dunebuggy, Sandrail, and kit cars street legal in Texas.

vwracerdave; You are so right there. Maybe you could share the condensed version of what you wrote?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: