Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
I got a message in my inbox . . . my email to Whitney Brewster was not delivered!

Yah me too...... Whitney probably pulled the plug on his/her(?) email!

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
didget69 wrote:
How would Texas handle Emissions inspection on buggies?

bnc

Simply like calif.... Anything 75 and older is smog exempt, even new build (SPCN) if engines numbers designate it as 75 and older its still exempt.... IF newer, has to conform to smog rules for year model (sucks but works)...

Dale

Thus, my question. If the car has to be titled & registered in year built, you may be well and truly foo'd.

bnc[/i]

Did you miss the part, BY ENGINE NUMBER (year model)...

CALI actually has SPCN 2018 builds with SMOG exempt....Because of engine was produced in non-smog era...

Long read but lots to be learned...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-536538--start-0--index.html

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

I received an email from Jeremiah Kuntz, the TxDMV Director of Vehicle Titles and Registration late yesterday. There is a TxDMV Board Meeting, next Thursday June 14th, 2018. Mr. Kuntz will be briefing the board but there are no items for the Board to Consider. He also anticipates scheduling another "Working Group Meeting" at a later date to discuss the possible recommendations for Administrative Rule and Statutory changes.
Let me step up on my Soapbox before I start this... This meeting is open to anyone and everyone who wants to attend, AND I SUGGEST THAT WE MAKE A STRONG SHOWING!!! This would show that we are here to make the change. Remember there is strength in numbers!
I am sorry that this is such short notice, but I posted as soon as I could. It’s interesting that he only sent the letter to me & with such short notice. Makes me assume that he really does not want us to get the word out & make it difficult to be prepared or have a STRONG SHOWING.
I know that I will speak at the Board Meeting, but not sure that everyone should. There is a fine line between a showing of force, and being an annoying butthead. So please do not go expecting to speak, and remain professional if you are able to attend.
The meeting will be held at the TxDMV Headquarters, 4000 Jackson Ave., Austin, TX 78731, and NEXT Thursday June 14th, 2018. I know that it is short notice, but we really need fill the room with as many Dune Buggy, Sandrail, & Kitcar Owners if possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
I got a message in my inbox . . . my email to Whitney Brewster was not delivered!

Yah me too...... Whitney probably pulled the plug on his/her(?) email!

Dale

Me too, I'm getting messages from Gmail saying that my emails to her are undeliverable. Looks like she had her email changed or blocked. Laughing
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
On Whitney Brewster email address change the .com to .gov and resend it

Did you guys not get the memo? there was an error. All 4 email addresses are txdmv.gov addresses.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
didget69 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

Simply like calif.... Anything 75 and older is smog exempt, even new build (SPCN) if engines numbers designate it as 75 and older its still exempt.... IF newer, has to conform to smog rules for year model (sucks but works)...

Dale

Thus, my question. If the car has to be titled & registered in year built, you may be well and truly foo'd.

bnc[/i]

CALI actually has SPCN 2018 builds with SMOG exempt....Because of engine was produced in non-smog era...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-536538--start-0--index.html

Dale

What year should I use for my Aluminum block cast in 2014?

bnc
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
didget69 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

Dale

bnc[/i]

Dale

What year should I use for my Aluminum block cast in 2014?

bnc

My information is so out of date even the DMV links are not good as Cali moved a lot of the stuff off DMV (specific) site to master state site (and its miserably done)......

THis is probably most uptodate, you probably should start there and struggle through ...

http://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_CA.pdf

Dale

JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
On Whitney Brewster email address change the .com to .gov and resend it

Did you guys not get the memo? there was an error. All 4 email addresses are txdmv.gov addresses.

ha, no. I never saw that but I just looked at the email and realized it. lol, thanks.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Today is the day before the TxDMV Board Meeting where Jeremiah Kuntz will update the Board as to what has been happening with the Assembled Vehicles Coalition. However that is all that is going to happen at this meeting.... or is it? We are not 100% sure if ANYONE will be able to speak after Kuntz, time will tell. What we need from you is to email Jeremiah Kuntz the letter that is provided IN THE FIRST POST BELOW during the meeting tomorrow. Please below up Jeremiah Kuntz phone during the meeting June 14th, 2018 from 8:00AM to 1:00PM Texas time.
[email protected]

Even if you do not live in Texas, please send the email.

Mr. Kuntz,

I heard you say in the meeting that the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles had with the Sunset Commission last month, that because of Federal Regulations, the issue of registration and licensing of Dune Buggies, Sandrails, and some Kitcars was “complex”.
I find that difficult to accept because of the fact that in 2003 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) stated that owner – Assembled vehicles Do Not have to meet the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and that those regulations only apply to newly and mass-produced vehicles. I find their statement to be clear, straightforward and anything but complex.
Can you please tell me what may have been changed since then to now make this a complex issue?
Thank you in advance for your response.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

The FMVSS regs are simple 'standards'.

The Unfortunate Reality is that States can and do have the ability to create their own rules above and beyond the Federal rules.

bnc
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

what is the latest update on this?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Join & follow the group on the Facebook page. That is where all the current news is updated.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy/
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

The Unfortunate Reality is that States can and do have the ability to create their own rules above and beyond the Federal rules.

bnc

Simple Standards? Crash Testing, Airbags, Anti-Lock Breaks, ABS, Stability Control.

Sorry man, FMVSS is anything but simple. Even the TxDMV recognizes that.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

The third "Working Group Meeting" is July 27th, and it should be interesting for sure. An update will be added soon after that meeting.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

BuggyFaron wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

Simple Standards? Crash Testing, Airbags, Anti-Lock Breaks, ABS, Stability Control.

You miss my point - FMVSS set National standards.

States can require above & beyond the Standards.

B
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
BuggyFaron wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

You miss my point - FMVSS set National standards.

States can require above & beyond the Standards.

B

You miss my point.

Above and beyond CRASH TESTING?
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

I am going to start this off by saying, today was nothing like we hoped. But in all honesty, its really okay.
The morning started off and it all felt like they were going to give the TxDMV Board of Directors something that we could all agree on. When we were all at lunch we all had a guarded but positive attitude towards the proposal that they planned to show the TxDMV Board, because of what was said over the morning. To be clear, they would not let us have a copy of the proposed rule changes, as it is their policy not to make them public until the Monday before the Thursday Board Meetings.
The changes they want to propose will only allow Full Chassis Dune Buggies. So that would mean no Shortened Chassis Dune Buggies, No Tube Chassis Cars, No Sandrails, and very few Kitcars would be able to receive a Registration. In short, the Assembled Vehicles Coalition all agree that we loose far more than we would gain with this proposal! If the Big Boys like Factory Five, and Gas Monkey were not taking notice before, they sure as hell should be NOW.
To close it felt a lot like they were trying to pave the way for us to work on this through Legislation. But before doing so they were trying to show that they tried to work with us, in order to TRY and cover their own necks so to speak.
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Good morning,

Any other news regarding this issue? By the way thanks for your effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

There's been a lot of progress and activity. The working group has been hard at work to modify the Administrative code but have yet to convince the DMV authorities on acceptable rules. There's an important TxDMV meeting today where the DMV officials will be presenting a ruling version that has removed the exclusion of "Dune Buggies" but introduces the notion of "unmodified original frame" which would make building a shortened buggy virtually impossible.

This being said, the local group is working on a bigger plan to introduce a bill in January that would help resolve this issue and fix this administrative rule issue.

You'll be able to follow the live TxDMV meeting here:
https://www.txdmv.gov/about-us/txdmv-board-meetings

The group is making progress...
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Needs your help! Reply with quote

Thanks Vince for your information. As you just pointed out we are making progress and I hope that we get our shortened chassis Manx buggies to run on our Texas roads as I dreamed when I started my project back in 2012 and I'm still holding on to my buggy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: