Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Panel Van
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TNT BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Hi Guys!
Newbie here from the Caribbean, Trinidad and Tobago to be specific.
I recently acquired a 1967 Splitty Panel Van RHD with Double Cargo Doors.
I don't know much about them so I thought I'd seek advise here, My question is- Is this a rare bus? I haven't seen much of these around and if so, can you guys tell me how much was made? The VIN number is 217112781.
I will be doing a full restoration on it soon so I would like to know.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cebu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I'm a newbie myself. I've been making my rounds within the various VW specific shows and I've seen far less dual cargo doors than the single. I have a 1967 Frankenstein Panel Bus, single side cargo door, LHD. How about a few photos?

TNT BUS wrote:
Hi Guys!
Newbie here from the Caribbean, Trinidad and Tobago to be specific.
I recently acquired a 1967 Splitty Panel Van RHD with Double Cargo Doors.
I don't know much about them so I thought I'd seek advise here, My question is- Is this a rare bus? I haven't seen much of these around and if so, can you guys tell me how much was made? The VIN number is 217112781.
I will be doing a full restoration on it soon so I would like to know.
Thanks in advance for your help.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Classifieds Feedback
TNT BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

I don't know about in the Caribbean, but those panel doors are hard to locate in the US. The low hinge panel doors are harder to find here than the high hinge (earlier) versions, I guess it all had to do with the chicken tax. A lot of the panels doors got cut for windows so an unmolested set is nice. Took me a bit of looking to get a full set and that was ten years ago.

But nice looking bus, makes me miss my 63 double door.

Has it been converted to later IRS suspension?

Not super rare but not as common as the single door version. Is it a factory walk through? That adds to the desirability.

If you post up the M codes, found on tag behind passenger seat, people can help you decipher exactly what you have.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

There are some production figures here but I haven't seen numbers for 1967:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/productionfigures.php

If you are asking how many RHD Buses or how many Double-doors were made, I have not seen numbers for those options.

Cool Bus though, RHD Buses are not as common.
Is it an uncommon Bus? Yes
Rare? Probably not.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Are you going to swap the front end and the trans out for split-correct ones or roll as is?

Sweet bus either way, looking forward to the build!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Rare would be something you find for sale maybe once in a few years or more.

One way to see if something is rare is to do a search of the classifieds.

Here looking for "double door" in the split bus 1949-67 section:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Someone cut your bulk head completely out. It was originally not a walk through. It's likely you're also missing the Mcode, which is a bummer. Full restoration on a late model panel for the flip would be unwise. For a driver it would be cool and practical

Lind wrote:
panels were the model that was most likely to be either a walk through or more importantly a doubledoor.

in my opinion:

any doubledoor that is not a panel is rare.
any pre '57 doubledoor panel is rare.
any pre '58 walk through panel is rare.
any pre '59 walk through that is not a panel is rare

'58 walk through panels are borderline rare

'59 and later doubledoor walk through panels are uncommon (5%-10%)
'59 and later walk through panels are somewhat uncommon (10%-30%)
'57 and later doubledoor panels are common (20%-40%)
'63 and later panels (uncut for camper windows) are much less common than '58-'62 panels.

I am just estimating off the top of my head from the thousands of buses that I have seen over the years in my travels and on the internet.
TNT BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
I don't know about in the Caribbean, but those panel doors are hard to locate in the US. The low hinge panel doors are harder to find here than the high hinge (earlier) versions, I guess it all had to do with the chicken tax. A lot of the panels doors got cut for windows so an unmolested set is nice. Took me a bit of looking to get a full set and that was ten years ago.

But nice looking bus, makes me miss my 63 double door.

Has it been converted to later IRS suspension?

Not super rare but not as common as the single door version. Is it a factory walk through? That adds to the desirability.

If you post up the M codes, found on tag behind passenger seat, people can help you decipher exactly what you have.

Hi thanks for the response, Yes it's been converted to the 1972 front and rear IRS.
And no it's not a walk thru

Last edited by TNT BUS on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TNT BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
There are some production figures here but I haven't seen numbers for 1967:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/productionfigures.php

If you are asking how many RHD Buses or how many Double-doors were made, I have not seen numbers for those options.

Cool Bus though, RHD Buses are not as common.
Is it an uncommon Bus? Yes
Rare? Probably not.

Thank You!
TNT BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
Are you going to swap the front end and the trans out for split-correct ones or roll as is?

Sweet bus either way, looking forward to the build!

Hi,
Already swapped to a 1972 front and rear IRS
TNT BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Rare would be something you find for sale maybe once in a few years or more.

One way to see if something is rare is to do a search of the classifieds.

Here looking for "double door" in the split bus 1949-67 section:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Hi,
Thanks for the response, I've seen some there for sale so I guess it's not rare Haha but I've not seen any RHD so it's probably a litte more uncommon.
TNT BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Someone cut your bulk head completely out. It was originally not a walk through. It's likely you're also missing the Mcode, which is a bummer. Full restoration on a late model panel for the flip would be unwise. For a driver it would be cool and practical

Lind wrote:
panels were the model that was most likely to be either a walk through or more importantly a doubledoor.

in my opinion:

'63 and later panels (uncut for camper windows) are much less common than '58-'62 panels.

I am just estimating off the top of my head from the thousands of buses that I have seen over the years in my travels and on the internet.

???? Sorry I don't understand, my bulkhead is a 1 piece no walk thru. I've not yet looked for the M code because the bulkhead is carpeted and didn't want to rip it off. Is the info on the M code different to what's on the VIN plate?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Info about M-code plates:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php
TNT BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Thanks much.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Ah I see. I assumed with the captains chairs up front.
TNT BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Previous owner replaced the original seats with some crappy Nissan seats . I got some vintage Recaro seats I'mm gonna put in.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

What a great ride to take to the beach for some shark bake! Thanks for sharing
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

Lind wrote:

in my opinion:

In the US, I don't think I've ever seen a 67 RHD DD Panel. Maybe once. That said, I've only seen a handful of RHD buses here, since we are LHD.
Also, 64 & later commercials are unusual here because of the chicken tax that raised tariffs on them from 2.5% to 25% in 1964. Also, DD (nice !) is less common that doors one side. It would be more usual to see it in a RHD country, one where when the 64 & later commercial models were sold.
It is a normal production model, just one not normal to the US.

Cool find. Smile
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Panel Van Reply with quote

Hi TNT I don't know about Australia or South Africa but here in NZ where they assembled CKD rhd busses from 1954 they never made a double door or anything unusual, just rhd panels, kombis, standard micros and single cabs. Anything else... i.e. deluxe, double cab, double door, sunroof, camper had to be special ordered from the dealer and shipped in from Germany. Sooo even here in a RHD country your bus would be rare not just uncommon. To put it into context I don't know of one late rhd double door panel here, a cpl of early ones but no late ones. Like I said I don't know about Aus, South Africa, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, UK etc but here none.

With regard to your Safaris you can pick up decent original frames on this site if you are lucky but they are not cheap, otherwise try a repro manufacturer, someone like "Sam steel" in Spain he might be able to help with frames.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: