Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 DRLAs on a super mild 1776 fine tuning questions.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: 36 DRLAs on a super mild 1776 fine tuning questions. Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I've recently put a freshly built pair of 36 Dells on my very mild 1776. Idle is phenomenal and power throughout the RPM band is excellent.

So why am I posting? Basically its the drivability. Off idle they are great and rolling from a light/stop is butter smooth. Then a slight flat spot and they surge like I just stomped on the gas pedal. Very annoying when you're just cruising low speed in traffic.

Is there a systematic approach to mellowing them out? Herevs all the specs I can think of.

Stock heads
Stock rockers
Bugpack 4062 cam
Bosch 009
Compufire
A1 exhaust

1.80 airs
1.22 mains
.60 idles
30mm vents
#2 emulsions

Any suggestions where to start?
SBS #00
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 DRLAs on a super mild 1776 fine tuning questions. Reply with quote

That is probably a failed pump jet Oring seal or something with the accelerator pump check valves. And it is easy to fix. But it could just be a sticking throttle.

Pump Jets go into the top two holes in the second photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The accelerator pump output check valves are plungers (some with springs) and a small steel ball. That are located below the bottom two brass plugs in the photo below:

Accelerator Pump Output Check Valves are in the upper right in this photo, they can become encrusted with a white oxide if carbs set with gas that has water in it but they can be easily cleaned by hand and a Carb Cleaning Brush used on the valve seat in the body. Don't lose the steel balls. It's probably a carb off the car operation. Maybe a small dia magnet wand would fish the balls out.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 DRLAs on a super mild 1776 fine tuning questions. Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
Very annoying when you're just cruising low speed in traffic.

Any suggestions where to start?

Since you said "cruising low speed" I'd guess that it would be, very light throttle opening, so that would be a matter of idle jets.

OR, just a general problem, like your linkage is not well adjusted, or carbs are not put together right.

You can try a set of 64 idle jets, and a set of 57 idles jets, and see what happens. It will either make it worse, or make it better, or prove you had the right size to start. But once you know that, you'll know more than you do now.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 36 DRLAs on a super mild 1776 fine tuning questions. Reply with quote

And it could be the engine is coming unbolted or a broken motor mount Jerking the throttle cable. But to me, it sounds like with the cam and all and if the 009 distributors centrifugal advance weights stick then move to a lot of advance. You would probably be able to see if that is happening with a timing light. Probably just need to pop the distributor cap and give the rotor a good twisting back and forth a bit. Then when you get a chance maybe rebuild it or replace it. You can run Bosch DVDA distributors if you can find a good one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: