Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Pickup? YES!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

I don't have pictures but I have a small update. The ECU mounts on the drivers side inner fender on the 97. Unfortunately, the inner fender is different on the driver's side also. Sad The factory 97 bracket mounts on some "T" studs. The 91 inner fender has the same "T" studs but they are mounted further forward. I cut up the ECU bracket and rewelded it so that it mounts on the studs 1991 location and places the ECU in approximately the same location.

I also finished up the rust repair on the core support. I got the last coat of paint on it last night. My next opportunity to work on it will be to fit the core support and see if the ECU location conflicts with the headlight. Very Happy Hopefully not.

I'll try to get some pictures next time I'm working on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

I surprised myself and found a little time last night to sneak to the shop.

I got the core support mounted temporarily to check for headlight to ECU clearance. It felt really good to see a portion of the front sheet metal on again, even if it temporary.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unfortunately, the ECU and the motor for headlight adjustment were in conflict. I was able to bend the ECU mount bracket slightly so they would get out of each other's way. Very Happy As I said previously, this is the factory location on the 97 (donor) but since the sheet metal on this 91 is different, I had to do a little guessing. Regardless, it's done and everything fits now!

Lastly, a couple pictures of the rust repair on the front core support. On both sides, the ends where it bolts to the body was rusted. Actually pretty badly. the rust started between the two pieces that are spot welded together and worked it way out. I cut out the rusted metal and replaced it. I just did one side at a time so that I could maintain where the bolt holes should be. It turned out decent. The pictures aren't the greatest but here they are.

Next up is to pull the core support back off, run the new wiring harness for the AC/Cooling system! Then hopefully the core support can go on for good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Nice work. My ecu fits into the stock position for the 93, between the battery and side wall. Are the studs no longer present in that position?
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

I can't wait to see how you install all the A/C bits. I hope it's just plug n' play

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Joshwa-
I didn't even think of that! Since the original engine was all mechanical, there wasn't an ECU in this vehicle originally. My little mind just went with copying what they did in 97. Very Happy I will check and see if the ECU will fit directly onto those posts. They are there... that's what the modified 97 bracket mounts to. My solution works, but I think it would be cleaner to mount the ECU directly.

Zeitgeist 13
The compressor from a gas 5 cylinder (1993 Eurovan) mounts to the 2.5 diesel. The condenser mounts in front of the radiator just fine. The drier mounts to the body in the same location as on the 1993 Eurovan. The "hardware" seems to be fitting just fine. Very Happy The wiring isn't done and it isn't tested so there's still bound to be something for me to trip up on. Wink
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Joshwa-
You are awesome! Thanks for that comment. I just checked and the ECU fits in the stock 93 location. Not sure why I didn't think of it.... tunnel vision I guess. Smile Wires are all long enough and it's way more "out of the way" there. I'm not tossing my modified 97 bracket incase there is a reason they moved it...... but right now, I can't think of the reason. Thanks again!

General AC comment: The stock cooling fans wiring harness doesn't go into the cab for anything. It's all stand alone in the engine bay connecting to the battery and relays all located in the engine bay. The AC cooling fans harness has a few wires that need to go into the cab. I had to add a hole to the firewall to run that harness. In the picture below, it is the lowest harness. If you look inside, you can see where VW perforated the insulation so that it could be popped out for an AC vehicle. I drilled a center hole from the inside out, using the insulation hole as my guide, then used a hole saw from the outside in, with the first hole as my locator.

New ECU location and harness location:
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Great. I think the ecu can be mounted either direction if that helps with tucking the cables as well. The build is looking great so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Thanks. I think this direction works best for the ECU harness. The other harnesses can be tucked down a little better now though with the 1997 bracket out of the way. I will do that.... eventually. Smile
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Time for a short update without pictures. Sorry.

It's running!! I struggled with getting the pump timing correct. On the 2.5, the timing is often final adjusted with the two tensioner pulleys (pump is driven off the opposite side of the cam than the timing belt). I didn't realize that when I replaced the belt while the engine was outside the body and didn't pay close enough attention to how the tensioners were adjusted when I took them off. I ended up getting a dial indicator and fixture to put in the end of the pump. I was able to get the timing correct that way fairly easily. I still need to get it up to temp and fine tune the timing with VAG-COM but it starts up every time now with little cranking. I'm pretty happy.

I am using the fusebox to cluster wiring harness and cluster that came with the donor. I had an issue with the cluster not working while the engine was running. I spent lots of time looking at wiring diagrams and testing wires. With the help of Slavic, I realized I needed to move a wire in the fusebox plug from pin 1 to pin 4. Now I have a working cluster!

I'm currently building a 3" exhaust. Last night I started at the turbo and got through the rack area to just about where VW put a catalytic converter on gas vans.

Once the exhaust is done, I can warm it up, adjust the timing with VAG COM. Then put the front end back together and it will be ready for a test drive. That will be a good day! Very Happy

I still need to tear into the dash to do the dash side of the AC addition. A test drive will happen first. Once I'm comfortable with the engine swap, I'll finish the AC swap. It's not a huge priority this time of year anyway. Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Cool news! Are you close to Slavic's shop?

y u rune klassik?
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Slavic is a couple hours away from me. He helped through a few texts on this one. He is a wealth of information. He has helped me a lot, starting with my first T4 Tdi swap ~7 years ago on our 99 Westy.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Cool news! Are you close to Slavic's shop?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Cool, I've watched a lot of his TDI swap vids. I really really want to do this.

y u rune klassik?
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Well, it has moved under it's own power! Big day! Very Happy

I finished up the downpipe and couldn't wait until I built the rest of the exhaust. Laughing I dialed in the injection timing with VAGCOM and put everything back together.

I have found out that the AC clutch bearing is crazy noisy and the shift linkage needs to be adjusted to get 1st/2nd. Still a major win to move it out of the shop so it could see some sun and I could clean up the shop.

My copilot for the short move to outside agrees. The new badge on the grille is exciting! Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

That's got to be so satisfying. Well done.

y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Nice work. That guy has gotten big since I picked up that bumper.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Yes Josh, he is growing too fast.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

This weekend I took it in to get aligned. The shop couldn't align it. Sad They said they needed a special tool to adjust the camber. They also said that they couldn't adjust the toe in the rear because it was missing the eccentric bolts. What fun.... This shop has aligned my Eurovans before so I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe they never adjusted the Camber on my vans before? I guess I'll be trying a new place. I still need to poke my head under the rear and see if there are eccentric bolts in there or not. I'm guessing that the raising of the rear caused the needed adjustment there. I wouldn't think those bolts will be too hard to find if I need them. We'll see.... anyone have any experience with these alignment issues?

On a positive note, I drove it! It was a short drive because the exhaust still isn't done, it's dumping at the back of the cab right now, but it was done enough to do a spin through the neighborhood. I have a 99 Westy that was a good running VR6 but I swapped it to 1.9TDI. I have a 93 Eurovan with the 5 cylinder gas engine. I think I've found a new favorite! Smile The 2.5 TDI is a lot of fun! I'm excited to finish up the exhaust (Amazon delivers my last v-band today) and take it on longer drives!

And because everyone loves pictures:
On the way home for the alignment (I didn't want to sit in the waiting room so I just dropped it off and left)

Part of the exhaust. This goes from back of cab to about middle of the axle. I have chosen to go up and over the rear axle area like an American pickup rather than the standard factory route because I am looking for the parts to make it a syncro. 3" pipe is too large to route the factory syncro route and since it's a Doka, there is some room between the frame and the bed to hop ABOVE that rear axle area. I will still exit in the same location in the rear.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Syncro Doka TDI is golden unicorn territory here

y u rune klassik?
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

I haven't updated this in a while. I've been daily driving it and it's doing well. I still need to finish the interior side of the Air Conditioning addition though. I finally found the last couple pieces two weeks ago. I need to get on that.

Anyway, this past weekend we got out and enjoyed part of Central Oregon with it. I thought this picture looked pretty cool. Very Happy

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Pickup? YES!! Reply with quote

Wow, so so cool. Having a functioning A/C seems kinda essential this time of year.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: