Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vin number? Notchback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubdealer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

Looking to buy a notchback and have a question about the vin. It starts with 365 and on here in the vin section it says that should be a 65 sqaureback. Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

A VIN beginning with 365 would be a 65 Squareback
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubdealer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

I know it says 365 is a squareback in the vin section, but what should a notch start with? The pan vin is not tampered with and the tag plate in the front doesn’t look like anyone changed the rivets or signs of the sheet metal welded.has anyone seen a notch vin starting with 365?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

Dubdealer wrote:
I know it says 365 is a squareback in the vin section, but what should a notch start with? The pan vin is not tampered with and the tag plate in the front doesn’t look like anyone changed the rivets or signs of the sheet metal welded.has anyone seen a notch vin starting with 365?

A Notchback VIN will not start with 365. The "36x" indicates that it's a Variant/Squareback. You'd see a "31x" for either the Notchback starting with the 1965 model year or Fastback starting with the 1966 model year.

The numbering system changes in 71 and adds a number but that doesn't apply to a pre 69 model year car.

The pan could have been swapped to a Notch - it's not hard to do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Additional information:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/modelstype3.php

Last edited by ataraxia on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

Never thunked about it, so had to check, my 65 notch is 365 starting number

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Dubdealer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

I have looked at all of vin info in the technical category but trying to make sure about this and educate myself before buying this notch. Is there a difference in weight on the front plate for squareback compared to notch? Also when did they stop the push button dash?
Dubdealer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

Dubdealer wrote:
I have looked at all of vin info in the technical category but trying to make sure about this and educate myself before buying this notch. Is there a difference in weight on the front plate for squareback compared to notch? Also when did they stop the push button dash?

April 1964 is when the press button (aka: pushbutton assembly) was discontinued. Specifically, the last VIN was 423 139

If the VIN shows "365", it was originally a Squareback pan. Quite common for pans to be swapped. The rear seat area kick panel is a little different between Notch and Squareback - perhaps post up a picture of that area to confirm it's a Squareback pan if the VIN isn't convincing you.
Dubdealer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Dubdealer wrote:

April 1964 is when the press button (aka: pushbutton assembly) was discontinued. Specifically, the last VIN was 423 139

If the VIN shows "365", it was originally a Squareback pan. Quite common for pans to be swapped. The rear seat area kick panel is a little different between Notch and Squareback - perhaps post up a picture of that area to confirm it's a Squareback pan if the VIN isn't convincing you.

Thank you Ataraxia!
Dubdealer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

Dubdealer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

I see the pan has hinges for a squareback folding back seat! I learned something today! Thanks ataraxia!
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

Dubdealer wrote:
I see the pan has hinges for a squareback folding back seat! I learned something today! Thanks ataraxia!

That's specifically what I was looking for in the pic request. Squareback rear seat hinges are different as are the support brackets.

The rear subframe is reinforced on the Squareback and the torsion bars are slightly larger in diameter. Have a picture of the subframe (the bottom of it between the axles)?
Dubdealer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Dubdealer wrote:

That's specifically what I was looking for in the pic request. Squareback rear seat hinges are different as are the support brackets.

The rear subframe is reinforced on the Squareback and the torsion bars are slightly larger in diameter. Have a picture of the subframe (the bottom of it between the axles)?

No I don’t have anymore pics. Would love to see one and know the difference.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vin number? Notchback Reply with quote

these reinforcements in red are not present on a notch or fastback rear subframe

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: