Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Eastwood mig 135 is 110v and fantastic.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Alright, between you all, Dan, and Youtube, you convinced me. I'm returning the flux welder tomorrow.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...more joy from the driver side rear fender. Multiple sheared fender bolts, and yes there were 3 tiny self-tapping screws taking their place.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Ouch.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Small progress today in non-body areas.

Picked these up for $10 at Buggy Man. A "big-time" seller on here wanted almost $50 for this.

Also replaced the right-side spring plate and torsion arm bushings. Discovered in the process that I will need to replace the rear wheel cylinder and the shoes are ok, but I may as well do them while I'm there.

The bolts in the picture where temporary starter bolts to get the spring plate flush so that I could then raise and put the plate on its shelf. Then I removed them one at a time in a diagonal pattern and replaced the stock bolts. Quick reminder to all, the Bentley manual has a typo in the steps for the illustration of the spring plate that says they get torqued to 87lbs. THIS IS WRONG. The correct torque for the spring plate cover bolt is 25LBS!

Word to newbies who want to replace these bushings. You will save a lot of pain and headache by completely disconnecting the trailing arm, including removing the pivot bolt attached to the frame. [EDIT] I did NOT need to remove the parking brake and brake line as I did on the passenger side. Instead, I supported the drum w/the jack enough so that the assembly wouldn't hang on the brake line and e-brake cable, and was able to move it out of the way enough to remove and replace the spring plate w/little effort. Much faster and easier this way. Had I determined that I needed to replace the pivot bushing, I would have removed the backing plate and drum.

While there, I also cleaned and repacked the outer CV joints with molly grease. I'll do the inner CVs when this project is much further along.

I did the driver side today, so rear suspension - check.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Well my salvage just took a huge hit. The guy who was going to do the welding for me backed out this weekend and none of the body shops I've contacted do anything other than insurance work. F#$@k.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Well my salvage just took a huge hit. The guy who was going to do the welding for me backed out this weekend and none of the body shops I've contacted do anything other than insurance work. F#$@k.

Shocked Crap, V.

I know it's an odd place to start, but maybe call up any local tech/trade schools? Perhaps the instructors would either be willing to freelance some work or know the people who do non-insurance work. They would probably be a good reference too as to who does quality vs shoddy work (they may end up with the shoddy work projects as learning tools at the school). They would also know where their school grads went and be able to tell you frankly who was top of class.

If those top-of-class guys/gals are still around locally, they could be a definite asset.

Hope you can find somebody!
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Ok, I've been going back and forth about how to best approach the major metal repairs that the car needs.

Option 1 - I found a business that will do auto welding repairs at my house, tentatively scheduled them for 7/14. $100/hour. No idea how long everything this car needs will take.

Option 2 - which I've gotten signoff on from the boss - is to take the chance and buy my own MIG welder for $300, either the Eastwood 135 or the Lincoln that I can pickup at home depot. Take my time, learn to weld on my own, and then do the work myself.

I decided to brave option 2. [EDIT] I should say BUT FIRST I found a MIG welding 101 class thru a meetup group at a local DIY/STEM lab and signed up for it, $65 for a 2-hour session, only 5 spots. Worth a try. If I feel after the class that it's something I could do, I'm pulling the trigger on the welder. If not, i'm not out much and can re-schedule option 1.

This one is for the long haul....I guess.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Ok, I've been going back and forth about how to best approach the major metal repairs that the car needs.

Option 1 - I found a business that will do auto welding repairs at my house, tentatively scheduled them for 7/14. $100/hour. No idea how long everything this car needs will take.

Option 2 - which I've gotten signoff on from the boss - is to take the chance and buy my own MIG welder for $300, either the Eastwood 135 or the Lincoln that I can pickup at home depot. Take my time, learn to weld on my own, and then do the work myself.

I decided to brave option 2. I found a MIG welding 101 class thru a meetup group at a local DIY/STEM lab and signed up for it, $65 for a 2-hour session, only 5 spots. Worth a try. If I feel after the class that it's something I could do, I'm pulling the trigger on the welder. If not, i'm not out much and can re-schedule option 1.

This one is for the long haul....I guess.

I think practice makes perfect. After your class, get you some 18 gauge sheet metal and practice practice practice with your new welder.

I bought a fairly expensive Lincoln 220 volt welder.

For my sheet metal repairs, I used .025 wire with 75% Ar 25% CO2 on the 18 gauge setting and it worked perfectly. Basically, zap ... let it cool … zap … let it cool … etc. My welder is overkill for sheet metal, but I'm using it for other projects with thicker metal too.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Dark Earth, I ordered my Lincoln welder a couple of days ago, supposed to arrive on Tuesday. Not the fancy one you have, but the lower end d$299 home depot variety, free shipping, I can return it to HD if something's off. My brother is *supposed* to come up to work with me on this the weekend of the 21. He's notoriously sketchy for coming thru on travel, *but* if he makes it, we should have the welding repairs done that weekend. VEREMOS. Either way, I will be welding on this car.

In the meantime... I've done a couple of other non-body things. Checked and adjusted front wheel bearings. Front disc pads look good, lots of surface rust on the rotor since the car has sat for 2 years. And I disconnected everything needed to drop the engine and undid the four engine mount bolts. In the process, I discovered this - for 100 points, who can tell me what's missing? (other than the tin I removed to allow take this shot, and it's not the thermostat or its components). And why is there oily residue around the base of the #1 cylinder...?

Could it be that I'm looking at my 1st ever engine tear down after owning 7 Bugs over 33 years????
Shocked

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

What's missing? GAWSH- the under-cylinder air deflector! Shocked Is it also missing from the left cylinders?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

WINNER!!! MIssing from both sides.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Quick update - engine's out and will soon clean up and repaint engine tin. Tearing down the engine to inspect and *hopefully* not have to rebuild will wait until I finish the metal repairs.

Btw, i did buy a welder for this purpose and hope to have the bulk of the repairs done this weekend. Stay tuned.

Also, since the car is basically stripped at this point, I've decided I'm not going to keep the green. I'm going to go w/something similar to saturn or sun yellow.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Suggest Saturn Yellow, the color of the 1973 Super Beetle-based SportsBug. Then you can have your rusty bumpers sandblasted, prime them and paint them flat black just like on the SportsBug. Find a set of 5.5" ET26 sport wheels and you're almost all set "from the outside" for a SportsBug clone.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Suggest Saturn Yellow, the color of the 1973 Super Beetle-based SportsBug. Then you can have your rusty bumpers sandblasted, prime them and paint them flat black just like on the SportsBug. Find a set of 5.5" ET26 sport wheels and you're almost all set "from the outside" for a SportsBug clone.

Hmmmm.... : Think

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

In case you're wondering, I haven't given up on the car, just on doing the exterior body welding repairs myself. I have a guy coming on Saturday to fix the c-pillars and fender mounting bolts - i purchased a bunch of the captive nuts from Aircooled.net for this. I did weld the passenger-side floor repairs myself, but that's as far as I'll go. I tried a couple of spots on the c-pillar and it was a disaster that will likely have to be cut out this weekend and redone.

I did move on w/the floor - master series silver on both pans followed by a couple of coats of Rustoleum glossy black brushed on. Before brushing on the rustoleum, I used jb weld steel stick to close the pin holes I didn't weld shut. Those are the gray spots on the floor.

I had to cut the wiring harness on the driver side to pull it out of the fender well. I'm pretty sure it would have been burned up by the welding. I also just got the seat covers from JBugs so will be redoing the seats, engine tin, sanding the body down for primer and paint, etc. Lots to do to get this project going again.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Great project as always - and I'm following with great interest as I have just moved into your area. Razz
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
Great project as always - and I'm following with great interest as I have just moved into your area. Razz

Cool! Welcome to NOVA! Not many Samba folks in our area.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Began my seat rebuild/restoration over the last couple of days. These post-'72 frames are much easier to work with than their predecessors. To remove the back rest, you just need a 10mm stud socket (not sure of the correct name for it) to undo this bolt on either side, then the back rest just slides off the bottom.

No need to remove any of the springs or other mechanisms.

Ok, this was kind of cool - an original factory inspection sticker.

Anyone know if this padding is factory? I don't think it is but it sure was stuck together well.

Next pics will be the seat completed. WWest horse hair pads all around.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

ID tag: VL would be German for front left (vorne links). "rechts m.K." I'm not sure; might be "right (side) with vinyl" (K could be Kunstleder, artificial leather).
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I hope that you’re replacing this area rug soon...
vamram wrote:

Because that totally needs to be the new carpet kit for the beetle. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 51

Jump to: