Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

It took all week, but finally got to the end of the thread! Well done!

I know it's ultra-hindsight, but the issue you had with your Lincoln welder was likely that the polarity was set of for MIG and not FCAW (if that's what you were using). I have a spool-gun compatible Lincoln Handy MIG 110v that came set up for MIG, and it took a few beads of garbage before I realized I had to switch polarity. Same likely goes for your Eastwood welder; if you're using flux core wire, set the gun for DC negative, and your welds will get even better.

Your praise of the Eastwood 135 got me looking at their products, and has finally convinced me to upgrade to their multi process MP 200 so I can have infinite heat, 120/230v choice, and TIG capability. The only real complaint I have of the Lincoln is the lack of infinite heat, because when doing body work, I often want a setting in-between the 4 options. With 110v, I think I'm limited to 1/8" steel, but have had times where being able to go up to 3/8" would have been very beneficial (frame repair). Aluminum is also a lot easier with 230v than 110v.

This thread was also a great lesson in what a "nice" looking car actually offers once you peel back the layers of the onion. Again, great work!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Thanks, Marinablau. Yeah, this one was a real "onion" as I completely missed what I thought I had prior to delivery. Just proved to me something I'd already learned but got lazy about - *never* buy an old VW on the East Coast sight unseen!! I'm impressed you made it all the way thru, I can't even do that w/my own thread!

My older brother, who was a certified aircraft welder or something like that, came up to help me and could not get the Lincoln to work properly w/the MIG wire. He tried all kinds of settings variations - as much as that simple welder allowed - but nothing worked. The Eastwood was a miracle by comparison, worked immediately w/out the crazy fluctuations of the Lincoln.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks beautiful!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

This is one pampered bug! Looks fantastic.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Buggee, I try, but looking at your build, frankly, this is mutt that roams freely on the farm gettin' by on whatever I toss it's way. I just keep tossing things to see what it'll eat.

Speaking of tossing...the paint is very nice on the outside. I have to follow-up w/the shopt because they didn't prep the driver side door jam properly I think and the paint has wrinkled there. And what I thought was dust on the dash turns out to be paint specs so I'm hitting them up to clean that shit up. Oh, and what I think are specs of clear coat on the windshield. Sloppy.

Anyway....it does look good and I got more than the usual comments in a short drive around town tonight. I have to wash the wheels and give them a bit of tire shine for the rubber, and reinstall the VW decklid logo.

Here he is assembled. Other guys like Rome and Zund have great scenic shots along the Hudson river or historic Route 66....me, you get light poles in Arlington, VA Chinese restaurant parking lots. Although I have to say that the Puputella restaurant across the street has the best napolitana pizzetta in the DC metro area!! Enjoy!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Looking snazzy!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

"Fabricated" some brackets and mounted some VW mudflaps. Still have to bend the brackets to have stick out more.

On another topic, engine is putting out a decent puff of oil smoke often at start up. I'm concerned that AA rings are bad or I didn't clock the gaps in the right way....

Passed 9k miles today.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo acknowledgements!

As to tires: The ones I had on my '77 Beetle developed dull brown sidewalls like on yours in this shot. Once a year, usually before its first outing in the spring, I applied a light spray of tire cleaning foam. When the foam worked in and somewhat dissipated after a few minutes, I wiped the sidewall off with a rag. That left a rich black color but without the glossiness which would fling off the tire and streak onto the body to the rear of the tire.

Your Beetle looks great after its repaint!

Have you thought about adding some trim rings to your all-black wheels? My friends Stock Steve and VWdriver did that on their all-black Marathons. I think the rings add a considerable visual contrast/separation between the tire and the rim. Here's Stock Steve's setup on his now-sold '69 Cabrio:
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
"Fabricated" some brackets and mounted some VW mudflaps. Still have to bend the brackets to have stick out more.

On another topic, engine is putting out a decent puff of oil smoke often at start up. I'm concerned that AA rings are bad or I didn't clock the gaps in the right way....

Passed 9k miles today.

I saw this pic in a Facebook post yesterday--your car looks fantastic!
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Thanks Beetlebaum! I am pretty happy w/it and it does generate smiles driving down the road. Cool

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

It looks great. Read all pages and what a trip. The yellow is bright and looks great with the un-trimmed window rubber. I'm about 2 weeks from getting mine to the paint shop for it OE orange paint.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Thanks Michael. I'll be on the lookout for updates on yours.

Now, I'm having a carb issue that I thought I'd try here, since it's for this car, before starting a new thread. Let's call this

"Solex 34-4 Tuning Problems"

So I've been running w/an interim Empi 34-3 for about 5.7k miles. I say interim because I bought a restored Solex 34PICT-4 from volksbitz because, well, that's what I want - a restored bosch distributor and a restored Solex. I swapped in the Empi because I was having issues w/the 34-4. Sent it back, he cleaned it out, I re-installed it about 130 miles ago. Accelerates fine, no hesitation.

But I can't get the idle right. To idle smoothly, I have the volume screw out a bunch of turns, and the big idle screw is FULLY closed - not open at all. If I open it the idle starts to go south. I've adjusted the throttle arm screw - in until it just touches the choke cam then in another 1/4 turn. BTW - main jet is 127.5, idle is 55. Not sure about the air jet. And the left front screw hole for the top of the is stripped, but the other 4 are nice and tight...I don't *think* this is a vacuum leak here. Maybe I should post a video.

What am I doing wrong? I want to get this guy working right before giving up and going back to the EMpi.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Mon May 03, 2021 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

You test for vacuum leaks at the carb base, at the end casting gaskets, or the boots. Maybe it is at the vacuum advance can. Maybe the sucky tube from the fuel vapor canister is allowing air in. Maybe all of it. Maybe 2 out of the 5. You are going to need to get down and dirty with it.

Also, before doing that, check the valves cold. Make that a habit, anytime you thing something changed. You will save yourself a lot of time and stressing.

Good luck Victor!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Jimbo - i used a new carb base gasket. The vacuum hoses for the DVDA can are good, both sides. The can is good. Timing at idle is steady at 5 ATDC. Vacuum hoses for the air cleaner valve are also good and hold tight. I suppose the valve could have gone bad and I could try running it as SVDA only, but this carb's throttle plate is set up for a DVDA.

No intake manifold or head to manifold leaks. Only thing I haven't checked is a valve adjustment, as they're not due yet. Perhaps I'll check those tomorrow afternoon.

One other note about this carb - both volume and idle adjustment screws are very "loose" in that they turn in an out w/no resistance. As if they didn't have o-rings. But they do have o-rings. I've wondered if maybe the bores are the problem.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Those would be vacuum leaks! Carefully shoot a small blast into the screw hole. See what happens.

You sure the carb base and the manifold bases are flat. Seen LOTS of warped one that created vacuum leaks. Same with the end casting.

What are you using to check for vacuum leaks? I am hoping stating fluid or a high quality carb cleaner.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

You can verify that your vacuum retard is functioning correctly by pulling the hose off while the engine is idling. You should see the timing advance by about 12 degrees once the hose is off.

Were you running this distributor successfully with the EMPI carburetor? If not, it might be valuable to change only one at a time, either the carburetor or the distributor, but not both. Once you have success changing one of them, then move on to changing the other.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Ran fine with the Empi. And yes the timing jumps when I disconnect the vacuum retard. I'll do the carb cleaner checks tomorrow on the throttle and adjustment screws, boots, etc and check the actual timing shift with the timing light connected to get an accurate reading.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Ran fine with the Empi. And yes the timing jumps when I disconnect the vacuum retard. I'll do the carb cleaner checks tomorrow on the throttle and adjustment screws, boots, etc and check the actual timing shift with the timing light connected to get an accurate reading.

Be sure to check your valves cold!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I used Gumout brand carb cleaner. Here are the results:

Throttle shaft - pass
Volume control screw - pass
Idle screw - pass
Carb base gasket - pass
Intake boots - pass
Manifold gaskets- pass
Air filter valve - pass
DVDA can - pass
Idle solenoid - massive FAIL.

Spraying the solenoid join to the body IMMEDIATELY caused RPMs to drop almost to the point of a stall. I tried tighten ing it and it was in there good...and I gave it that extra push...and think I stripped the threads. Unless they were already stripped as I've had issues with this carb since I first installed it a year ago. I unscrewed the solenoid out and added a.rubber gromet. Managed to get 1/2 turn out on the idle screw, but the leak was still massive. I guess it wasn't stumbling b cause it was running so rich from turning out the volume screw so far.

Now to see if Tim will take it back to fix the solenoid hole threads...or is this something I can do myself?

In the meantime, I pulled an old Bocar out of retirement, the one that has the deceleration dashpot valve mounted to the rear of the carb. I had cleaned and adjusted this guy months ago. Slapped it on, connected everything turned the motor until the bowl filled and VROOM started right up. I didn't even have to adjust it, I already had it set and it idles perfectly at the moment.

Now to save the Solex....

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

MPG has jumped to 31+ with this old Bocar....gonna run with it for a while. While I send the 34-4 back to Tim to repair the idle solenoid insert threads.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 51

Jump to: