Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Yep, just got back today from a 300+ mile trip back to VA from upstate NY. It was a great day for a trip, not too hot and cloudy, cruised along at 70mph w/almost no slow downs - except when cutting thru DC to pickup my son at Union Station. A big relief from the hot 90s and traffic I had on the way up to NY two weeks ago.

Oh - this - I broke down and ordered a set of stainless steel beauty rings from CIP1. Box was here when we arrived, I had to install them before I even finished unpacking the car. Man, I think they really make the VW chrome center caps pop!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Looking good, Victor! The rings compliment the caps perfectly.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Looking good, Victor! The rings compliment the caps perfectly.

Tim

X2 Victor! Very nice!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Wow, the rings look great and really finish off the black-wheel-with-chrome-center-caps look!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I never saw rings on baja rims and these look fantastic on your car.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Thank you gents! I definitely like them!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

So the headlight relay appears to have gone bad. It clicks when I trigger the column switch, but the lights are stuck on the brights, will not switch back to the low beams.

I have 2 relays in my stash - one a new/never used still-in-the-box Euromax w/what appears to be the correct part number - 111 941 583. The other is an original silver VW relay, but the number has a C at the end - 111 941 583c. Any one know if the VW one will work on my Super?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I used to have a "favorites" link to an electronic parts catalog (EPC) from VW; it had about 1100 pages. But when I had my 10-year old computer updated to a newer operating system last year, my favorites were wiped out.

Looking at VW's classic parts center in Wolfsburg, the base P/N shows this-
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/111941583bq-headlight-relay-12-volt-5-terminal.html If your silver "C" relay has the same terminal numbers and wiring schematic as the one shown, and they also match the one now in your car, then it should work. Have you checked your relay's external connections, and cleaned them with a brass bristle brush and electronics spray cleaner? Tapped the relay housing very lightly with something metal like a socket extension, in case the sticking is simply a "stuck" internal energizing coil?

The above relay has description "headlight flash and dip beam relay". The "flash" would be the momentary high beam flash that is activated when you lightly pull back on the blinker stalk, without pulling back enough to lock in the "dip" feature which changes from high to low beam. I don't think that "flash" feature was on US-spec Beetles, though certainly was on the water cooled VWs from the mid '70's on. So it's possible that if the wires on your '73 match up to your "C" relay, you might gain a new headlamp feature with the "flash".
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Problem solved for now. Rome, I tried the tap-tap-tap, no go. The relay clicks all day long but doesn't work. Next, I tried the matching part no. version Euromax. Barely audible click and...does not work at all. Head Lights don't even turn on w/the Euromax. Third time was a charm and all is good w/the C-version SW German relay.

I'm going to do an autopsy on these two. Curious to try to save the German one, and why the *new* Chinesium relay fails out-of-the-box.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Here's a better shot of the beauty rings on the car. 100% better than just black, imho. And it seems the general public likes the look too - comments/compliments about the car while driving around town are up like 300%!

Here are the rear lap belts I picked up yesterday for close to 'nuthin'. Springs are good, but cloth is pretty dirty. I'll have to figure out how to clean them w/out damaging the roller/return spring mechanism. Is opening that mechanism up a can of worms in terms of putting it back together....? Think Mehinks "Yep."

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I uncoiled them and locked the mechanism with some suitable clamp.
Then I soaked the belts over night in warm water with washing powder using a common household plastic pan.
Of course the roller/return spring mechanism stayed out of the pan... Smile
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

The beauty rings look terrific and that Union 76 antenna ball really brings it altogether Wink Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
The beauty rings look terrific and that Union 76 antenna ball really brings it altogether Wink Laughing

Wink Laughing You're absolutely correct, it's the match to the birthday candle! Or something like that! Here's the "new" next to the 8 year-old one right before I installed it!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I changed the oil and filter this morning then took the Super on a sprites 20 mile run. So I'm checking timing just 'cause. Advance port disconnected and plugged.

Setting max advance to 30* at 3k-3.1k RPM leaves the idle advance at 3.9*!! Doesn't seem right so I just set it to 7.5 at idle. Car runs great, starts easy even hot. 28.66 mpg during this weekend's driving.

Thoughts? Guidance? I don't want to accidentally destroy my engine. I'm using a bosch DVDA restored by one of the samba pros with a compufire ignition.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Victor, I always set my timing at idle and set it to 7.5 BTDC. I have a Bosch SVDA, however, but yours is the same setting, I believe. After setting at idle, I check the full advance with my timing gun.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

32 MAX! Anything further and you are gambling on those intake valves. Ask me how many times I saw an intake valve stuck to the piston. WAY TOO MANY TIMES! Leading cause I could best tell......set the timing past the 32 marker!

Set it at 32 max advance, and let the idle land where it wants to.

This is a great resource!
http://www.vw-resource.com/timing_advance.html

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

You can bend the stop tab for the advance mechanism inwards a little to limit the advance, but you may have to do it a couple times to get it just right. Easy to do just a little fiddly.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
You can bend the stop tab for the advance mechanism inwards a little to limit the advance, but you may have to do it a couple times to get it just right. Easy to do just a little fiddly.

Thanks Lingwendil. That's a bummer since this is an original restored Bosch DVDA supposedly run on a Sun machine as part of the restore.

You're the 2nd person to recommend this fix to me. Does this require taking apart the distributor or are the tabs accessible from the top?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

You can disassemble it, but it's fairly easy enough to get to from the little knockout window in the distributor body. Last couple times I did it I pulled the points plate assembly and vacuum can off, and reached in with a longnose pliers to do it. If you are careful and get comfortable enough you can do this with the distributor still in the car.

It's easiest to do on the car in my opinion from the top. Then you can throw it back together and hit it with a timing light to check it. You may need to do it a few times to get it's advance limit stopping just right. I've done it in various parking lots throughout the years while swapping springs out when I was younger Very Happy

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I probably won't get to this until the weekend. I was going to check what the max advance is yesterday afternoon but unfortunately dropped and broke my timing light while untangling the wires. Brick wall d'oh!

Here's what the #1 plug looked like though after a 12 mile highway run at 65mph....looks pretty healthy to me. These have about 1k miles on them. Would they be showing signs of overheating if the dizzy was advancing too much?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 51

Jump to: