Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Interesting that your seats have carpet under the pads. I recovered my 1973 seats last weekend and found the same. I also found part number slips for the horse hair pads. I assumed the carpet was added later because at some point someone had added low density foam to each front seat base.
Keep the updates coming.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I hope that you’re replacing this area rug soon...
vamram wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Because that totally needs to be the new carpet kit for the beetle. Twisted Evil

Crack me up - I can almost see that....all yours if you really want it, for a fair price to your location w/in the lower 48!! Very Happy

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Aside from plowing thru some fender well patches, I've been slowly working the interior. Passenger front seat is complete, picture later, and last night I took apart the rear seat bottom. Although you can see a piece of the backrest laying head down in the background of one of the pics.

For the record....Original cover and horse hair pad were under a later cover w/that nasty green carpeting as a pad glued between the two.

I'm pretty sure this was original factory. I've never seen this cloth section on a cover before.

And the edge of the cover has what I think is 14-16 gauge solid steel wire to tighten it down under the frame. I actually saved this wire and will try to reuse it on the new cover.

Anybody interested in an *original* semi-crumbling horse hair pad?? Free for local pick-up only!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Here's the driver-side front seat. Is this padding original? I think the horeshair under it was as it had mostly turned to dust and crumbles when I touch it. I had to vacuum it out basically before trying to remove this.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Got motivated today w/a break in the weather and decided to try and close the two remaining holes in the passenger-side fender well. Not pretty, but worked. I used slightly over-sized pieces and two self-tapping screws to hold them in place for the first couple of welds. Still need to clean them up but it will do for this section.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Go Vam! Go!

Progress is progress, my friend! Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I like the green. Nice project.
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

At last some visible progress. I've gone from this:
vamram wrote:

To this:

Not perfect by any means, but death foam is gone, rust cut out and surface rust treated. Moon vents gone on both sides.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

You have crested the hill. And gained mad skills in the process! Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Victor, it looks great. Don’t make the same mistake I made with the bondo, however.

Years ago, I had a number of small dents in my second Karmann Ghia. Back then, there were no YouTube videos to show you how to do this work. You just had to follow the directions on the can. My results showed a definite line around each door-ding repair.

You, however, have access to many how-to’s. It should be far easier for you to get professional results.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll be looking at you-tube for sure. Eastwood has some videos as well I think.

Here's another piece of rust I'd forgotten about - the bottom edge of the passenger-side door. How far back should I cut out and replace? This seems easy compared to the death foam and moon vents...but I'm not about to predict that!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I went ahead and attempted a repair. Came out ok, will need bondo to smooth it out.

The guy I paid to install the death foam repair panels a few months back warped the joint on the passenger side and then tried to build it up. That's what the globs are here. Should I cut out say an inch on either side and try to replace the warped area? Or just build it up w/more molten globs then smooth w/bondo?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

The guy I paid to install the death foam repair panels a few months back warped the joint on the passenger side and then tried to build it up. That's what the globs are here. Should I cut out say an inch on either side and try to replace the warped area? Or just build it up w/more molten globs then smooth w/bondo?

I may be new to the metal fab, but I think no more molten globs or the heat will just encourage more warp.

Being a monkey with a typewriter on the internet, I would probably grind the globs with an 80 grit flap disk on an angle grinder until the seam is slightly concave to the panel, then wire wheel the whole area really clean, then skim it with filler and feather it all out. Your panel there has a shape to it such that flat sheet welded in its place would require some skim fill anyway.

I think you did realy nice work on the door corner, which is a complex three dimensional piece to just pull that out of your rear end. Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

How out of shape is the current patch. Can you lay a flat edge horizontially across it to see if it proud or sunken? You would only need to grind if it was proud.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Door patch is tits! Great work!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Haha, "Tits!" Laughing Thanks for the kind words on the door repair, I really did pull it out of my ass. Anxious I had to look up what "proud" meant in this context. If I'm understanding it, the patch is concave where the welds are piled up. He was trying to build it, but I had him stop because it was a waste of time, I thought.

I actually still have donor metal from the area which may have the curve I need. I'll check the piece tomorrow and hit the spot w/the flap disk too.

I misplaced the replacement captive bolts I'd bought from aircooled. Too many parts in too many places. Rolling Eyes So I ordered these from CIP1. Looks to me as if they might be easier to weld into place w/minimal cutting.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C21-0898-10

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Not a great picture but you can see the dip in the middle. The molding didn't sit flush when I took the picture, but there's a dip in the middle where the molding piece bridges the gap. I have the opposite side piece for this section from the donor panel and am half tempted to have a go at it...talk me out of it please!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Not a great picture but you can see the dip in the middle. The molding didn't sit flush when I took the picture, but there's a dip in the middle where the molding piece bridges the gap. I have the opposite side piece for this section from the donor panel and am half tempted to have a go at it...talk me out of it please!

Honestly Victor,
I think you can do a better job of the panel replacement than the dude you paid to do that side.

On the side in your image. Grind down the welds. The gloppy stuff is going to be difficult to cover up when you apply filler(a thin coat).

I know that you know this. But, make sure to let your welds cool or move far from where you last welded to keep the warpage to a minimum.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Agree with Rusty! You can do a better job!

Just cut out the weld plus an inch on each side of it. Then tack in a new piece of metal. About three inches between tacks. Cooling between each one, forming the panel as you proceed. Take your time and keep the panel cool! You can shape it as you tack it in. When all tacked in and you are happy with the alignment. Go back and stitch weld it in to position. Again, keeping that panel cool. No heat! When complete, check it, then get a hammer and dolly out and work some magic.

You may be able to hammer and dolly the current panel if you wanted to try it. It is essentially “stretching” the metal by beating it a tiny amount thinner. The excess metal pushes the dent out, in this case, towards the exterior. If you do this, grind those globs down smooth, first.

However, regardless of method used to get it more in line, you will need to skim a layer of Bondo across it to make it perfect.

Good luck, you got this! I have faith in you! Did you see that door corner? This is super easy when compared to that!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Ah Jimbo, had I seen your post before I began, I may have had better results. I went forward with it but I think I kept my cut area too small. So it's better now, but I now have two shallow dips in the panel now as opposed to one deep one...I *guess* that's better...less bondo...! Rolling Eyes I'm pretty much out of donor metal at this point that I can use to cover an area this size. Sooo....may have to try my hand at hammer and dolly...or live w/it and bondo/filler.

The Cut.

The Patch.

The Tack.

The Finish.

The welds were pretty good w/this one, very little burn-thru and not nearly as much grinding as previous welds. I also found the displaced captive nuts for the fender from Aircooled.net and welded two of three in before I ran out of time. That was a pain as I kept getting burn thru at some of the edges and had to build up w/globs and then grind-grind-grind.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 51

Jump to: