Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what beetle tranny is compatible
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: what beetle tranny is compatible Reply with quote

I truly fried my transmission last weekend.i am going to kubeltreffen west at Prado, what beetle trannys are compatible?
This is in case Rancho can't rebuild it in two weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: what beetle tranny is compatible Reply with quote

Sam, have a look here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367511
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what beetle tranny is compatible Reply with quote

Quote:
Gearbox (transaxle)
The VW 181 and Beetle transaxles are basically the same for corresponding years:
Chassis serial up to 183 2346 524 (Mexico: 183 2493 402): the swing axle transaxle is basically a Beetle unit, but has a higher differential ratio (resulting in lower speed). Also, the differential is fitted on the opposite side because reduction gears (from the split screen Bus) have been fitted to the axle ends.
Chassis serial 183 2346 525 up (Mexico: 183 2493 403 up): the double-jointed ('IRS') transaxle came in two varieties: the pre-'73 models have two side covers, the '73-onward models have only one. The transaxle is the same as on the Beetle with this rear axle layout, but it has a higher differential ratio (resulting in lower speed) and uses different CV flanges. The Beetle transaxle can be used, but note the following points:
Retain the VW 181 CV joints and the CV joint flanges. The flanges can be easily changed over to the Beetle transaxle.
Make sure the Beetle transaxle has the pre-'73 2-bolt nosecone so that the mount lines up. If needed, the nosecone can be changed over.
Make sure the clutch throw out bearing is of the '71- onward type. It can be identified by the guide sleeve fitted over the driveshaft over which the bearing slides. Pre-'71 clutch throw out bearings can be used, but only with a corresponding pressure plate. This has a release pressure ring on the three release levers.
Or as Joe Locicero sums up: "Earliest Type 1 trans could be a '69-'70 (requires an early style 200mm clutch cover change to install (final drive is 3.67). The '71-'72 uses the late style clutch as in a 181. The same final ratio in this group as the group above. The '73-up is closest to the stock 181 externally but has a 3.60 final drive compared to the 3.83 of the 181."

Found that here: http://www.oocities.org/vwtyp181/181_3-4.htm I think it's an archive of the 181 Facts and Figures site.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: what beetle tranny is compatible Reply with quote

You can get one from The Thing Shop super fast if in a bind. Really happy with mine, might be more than you want to spend though.
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: what beetle tranny is compatible Reply with quote

I have a stock thing trans just sitting around. However, I am in Omaha NE.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: what beetle tranny is compatible Reply with quote

Most likely used transmissions condition will be unknown or a gamble
But if your gonna get a used one I’ve found the earlier thing transmission with an AH code (double side cover) are more reliable than the later AV coded ones
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: what beetle tranny is compatible Reply with quote

Thanks, I've decided to get the Thing tranny rebuilt by Rancho, should be back soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: what beetle tranny is compatible Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Most likely used transmissions condition will be unknown or a gamble
But if your gonna get a used one I’ve found the earlier thing transmission with an AH code (double side cover) are more reliable than the later AV coded ones

Mike,

Care to elaborate? The single side cover trans are generally agreed to be the strongest stock type 1 style VW case out there. Are you talking gear failures?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: