Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Well some of my fellow vendors have “official” threads but I haven’t started one for Vanistan because this big change has been a’comin’, and today its for reeelz: Vanistan is now part of IntrepidOverland. So this is the "official" IntrepidOverland thread!

I'm starting IntrepidOverland as a platform for a range of new products intended for all types of offroad and overland vehicles, which will always include Vanagons and especially Syncros.

As of today, Vanistan.com will redirect to IntrepidOverland.com, my new home for my existing Vanistan products, new Vanagon-oriented products, and my new product line, Redshiftt.

The new site has two e-shops, Vanistan and Redshiftt. You can check out and purchase all the things I have had on Vanistan.com, but now you can order directly, so you don’t have to email me anymore to make a purchase, although you’re welcome to if you have any questions about any of the products. There is also a “Guides” page where the instructions for all my products are viewable and downloadable, and the instructions will usually answer any questions you might have, so feel free to check those out.

The Redshiftt store isn't populated yet, but it's where I will feature my new Redshiftt wireless accessory control system and associated specialty gadgets. More about that later on this thread.

There’s also a blog where I will be posting about what’s in the works, technical articles, tips and tricks, etc.

As always, I'm sincerely thankful for the support this community has given me, and I hope you'll find the changes as exciting as I do!

More soon...

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Awesome! Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Yay! Looking forward to some great new products!

-Bill
'89 Syncro
Tencent inspired WBX 2.2
thenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Hi Chris, I'm happy to see the new direction for Vanistan.

On the products page (/shop), the two boxes for Redshiftt and Vanistan jump around when I hover over them. It looks like the width is too narrow and forcing to a single column when hovering.

I believe you can safely remove the width:80% declaration from et_pb_fullwidth_header .et_pb_fullwidth_header_container.center .header-content

As a side effect, it fixes the spacing for mobile as well so the boxes don't jam up against the edge.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Nice new site!

Wishing you all the best!
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

I did not have any problem with the tabs using a computer. I havent tried using it via mobile.

thenomad wrote:

On the products page (/shop), the two boxes for Redshiftt and Vanistan jump around when I hover over them. It looks like the width is too narrow and forcing to a single column when hovering.

I believe you can safely remove the width:80% declaration from et_pb_fullwidth_header .et_pb_fullwidth_header_container.center .header-content

As a side effect, it fixes the spacing for mobile as well so the boxes don't jam up against the edge.

thenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Firefox Quantum 59.02 if that matters.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Awesome! I see I made it on the louvered windows sales page lol. Look forward to all your new innovative products.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Nice!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Congrats man!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Excellent!
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Redshift, I like that.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Awesome!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

thenomad wrote:

I can't replicate the bug on the shop page. They move but the transition seems natural and there on purpose.

Maybe CTR+F5 will fix? I'm on Mozilla Developer edition.
thenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I can't replicate the bug on the shop page. They move but the transition seems natural and there on purpose.

Maybe CTR+F5 will fix? I'm on Mozilla Developer edition.

When I resize the window (either much smaller or fullscreen) it's not a problem but for "standard" window size, say 3/4 screen, the buttons do jump around. Maybe an edge case since I guess people typically view fullscreen(?) but I spotted it immediately. The joys of responsive web designs.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Congratulations, Chris! Very exciting for you, no doubt. Very Happy

The site looks good and works perfectly for me: Firefox on my desktop.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

I've often wanted a time machine to go back to that great time when the Vanistan Engine was being built. I have read and re-read as many threads that Chris wrote comments in about the things done to the case, what cam, swivel feet, rockers, a proper exhaust, and a multitude of other small tweaks that made his builds a phenomenon. The Ad in the Classifieds was great, too.

Perhaps, some day, there would be a section on the new site dedicated to the history that brought this new and great adventure into action. It sure would be awesome to see how Vanistan came to life, some of the beautiful engines, perhaps some hints on what it took to build them, and how we could emulate the top notch work that will forever hold the test of time. I for one am collecting all the bits I can to some day build a Vanistan Engine replica. I am not asking for a how-to, but to loose such a wealth of understanding would be a tragedy even greater than the loss of the product itself.

Kind regards,

-bobby
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Chris- since you are no longer building engines and won't be competeing with yourself, another product i would absolutely pay for is your wisdom on rebuilding the Vanagon engine. to me, and i'm a cheap SOB, i'd pay $100 for that pretty easily. one 'gotchya' in the course of building an engine and that cost is recovered.

while Tom Wilson's excellent "How to Rebuild your Volkswagen Aircooled" sells for much less, the market is far greater. the price of a Vanagon engine book is easily justfied being higher. it wouldn't even have to be fancy, the small group of us fanatics just want the information.

yes, all it takes is one jerk to put it online after they bought it from you... but if you maintain direct sales the personal accountability will extend that period before it happens and maybe you'll make several thousand before it does. it seems to have worked for Rick Long's transaxle rebuilding CD.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

I am thinking that if someone no longer wants to run a business building engines and has launched a new business focussed on different products, the last thing they would want to do would be to write a book about rebuilding engines.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Great News! Congratulations!

Looking forward to new things!

BTW, your oil cooler is working great...I'm still here in Moab not having left since Syncro Solstice! Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: