Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Just thinking out loud about the air flow cut off device. I'll be getting one, but I am kind of looking into replacing the cable with a solenoid that is activated when the lever is all the way at the cold position.

Great idea but solenoids are on or off. You need a means to close or open the flap incrementally.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
hans j wrote:
Just thinking out loud about the air flow cut off device. I'll be getting one, but I am kind of looking into replacing the cable with a solenoid that is activated when the lever is all the way at the cold position.

Great idea but solenoids are on or off. You need a means to close or open the flap incrementally.

Dave

Why? Modern car recirc flaps are on or off. I would want it closed so no hot air enters when I use my ac. I would only have ac on when the lever is all the way at cold.

If I wanted to control it incrementally, I'd use a PWM motor and controller.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Temperature mixing. You (I) often want dehumidified warm air, such as window defogging on a rainy humid day, but don't want the cold chill of max A/C.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

erste wrote:
...These PDFs are good too, particularly the first:
https://capla.arizona.edu/forms/shop/fromechvacuumguide.pdf
https://formechinc.com/wp-content/uploads/Vacuum_Forming_Guide.pdf

Thanks for the helpful links, ES! Great stuff in there. After reading their details on materials, I think I’ll be switching to PETG instead of PC so I won’t need a drying oven. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get clear red like I had envisioned, but a clear smoke would look great.

mikemtnbike wrote:
I think I read something about being able to replace the functionality of the syncro dash knobs via the redshiftt controller.

All other functionality aside, that sounds like it'd be f-in sweet (although have no actual experience with the dash knobs).

For sure, all the stock vacuum control stuff can be replaced with this system and enable use of positive air pressure if you install an onboard air system. Positive pressure makes the driveline controls positively snappy, unlike the weak vacuum power source where you’re waiting and wondering if it will ever engage. Having operation of your driveline controls right in your shifter hand is my inspiration, I’ve gone over all that on my blog. Lockers, decoupler, winch, and in future the pneumatic releasable front swaybar links I will also be making can all be operated while working the gears in challenging terrain. But of course it's an open framework system so what you use it for is limited only by your imagination.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

A little IO update:

First, the louvered window inserts are no longer in my Vanistan shop. I had hoped for a better response so I could get some runs of parts made by contract to attain some economies of scale and get the price lower while being more profitable. Alas, sales were OK but no consistent rate I felt I could count on before tying up a lot of my limited capital on stocking parts. As it was, except for the laser-cut outer frames, all the nearly 20 unique little parts I had to make in-house, which took an ungodly amount of time, to the effect I was paying myself a pittance to offer these. I love having mine, but decided once my existing stock of cut frames was used up I would be pulling the product. I have kept one frame for the tintop units and a couple for the Westy ones so if anyone has a single and would like a mate for it, I can help there, but otherwise it's bye-bye for this item.

Second, I have a lot of excellent low-miles cylinder head cores, many with zero corrosion at all on the sealing surfaces, so I am now offering rebuilt waterboxer cylinder heads to order in the Vanistan shop. Details on the product page, follow the link below or see my Samba ad (orders only thru the website).

Redshiftt is slowly but doggedly plowing forward, I'm about final on my enclosure designs so will be testing prototypes pretty soon, and after the expected tweaks will be able to start getting parts made, and on to the market! It's a long journey unless you are well-capitalised, and as you might guess, I'm not! But I really appreciate peoples' expressions of support and excitement and above all, patience.

Onward!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

Second, I have a lot of excellent low-miles cylinder head cores, many with zero corrosion at all on the sealing surfaces, so I am now offering rebuilt waterboxer cylinder heads to order in the Vanistan shop. Details on the product page, follow the link below or see my Samba ad (orders only thru the website).

this is actually a pretty darn exciting offering... the price is reasonable and what Chris is doing to the heads are the right things including using the right valves. having bought 'upgraded' heads from a vendor, and consequently pooched a valve guide + seat within 10k miles i question whether the guides had been reamed for the proper clearance. the fact that Chris will check and ream the valve guides to size is critical, as is using quality TRW or OEM valves.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Do you still make the 4 bolt cam gear adapters or was that too much trouble?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

this is actually a pretty darn exciting offering... the price is reasonable and what Chris is doing to the heads are the right things including using the right valves. having bought 'upgraded' heads from a vendor, and consequently pooched a valve guide + seat within 10k miles i question whether the guides had been reamed for the proper clearance. the fact that Chris will check and ream the valve guides to size is critical, as is using quality TRW or OEM valves.

Oh yeah! Missed out on one of his engines so I'll buy it piece by piece! Very Happy

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

this is actually a pretty darn exciting offering... the price is reasonable and what Chris is doing to the heads are the right things including using the right valves.

bravo Chris, really wish these were available when i was sourcing parts for my rebuild nearly a year ago (wow, a year already!). i'm very tempted to pick up a pair. exciting in deed!

BiWerks Design, LLC
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
... when i was sourcing parts for my rebuild nearly a year ago ...

'was sourcing' has never been how I have worked on any VW.. Always sourcing, ever forward.

More cowbell!!

Looking good Chris, thanks!!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

If y'all are bored and could use a little more hacker joo-joo in your cloistered existences, I have a couple new articles that might tickle your brains for a bit.

This last one I'm very jazzed about, it has something for almost everyone:

https://intrepidoverland.com/dash-redo-deluxe/

and for the cheep bastards, like yours truly:

https://intrepidoverland.com/my-diy-coolant-tank/

baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

love that coolant setup! I've definitely spent too much time looking to do something similar.

What are your thoughts on this setup?
Moroso coolant tank with sight tube (I have a subie setup so the sight tube is the right orientation for me, Moroso offers another tank that would be more suitable for a WBX)
https://www.moroso.com/catalog/product/view/id/861...gory/2871/

Elbow adapter for the bottom hose: (I don't love Nylon but seems like it has the right temp range)
https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-exhaust-fitting-nylon-elbow-1-2-npt-x-1-barb.html

copy your setup for the rest?
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

That dash is un-fricking-believeable! Congrats!
Some people call him Maurice...
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

baltik wrote:

What are your thoughts on this setup?

With only one connection to the rest of the system, that tank would only act as a place for the p-cap to control pressure and total coolant volume. You could do that with a p-cap on the end of a short 2" pipe for all that's worth. It wouldn't provide any air purge function, which is the only reason to need a tank with some volume.

The air purge ring on 2.1 cooling systems is there specifically to pull a small stream of coolant from the top corners* of both cyl heads. The purge hoses from the heads to the ring and then the ring itself are small-bore so the coolant flows thru them at high speed. The fast moving liquid entrains any gas bubbles (air, steam, or leaking combustion gases) and carries them along to the pressure tank, where the volume increases abruptly so the flow rate suddenly slows to a relative crawl. There the bubbles have time to separate from the liquid.

If any gas accumulates at the top of the p-tank, it gets pushed out to the reserve tank whenever the system pressure exceeds the p-cap's valve setting of ~1 bar, which it does often as a matter of course. The ejected flow enters the reserve tank at bottom and once again, the gases rise out and this time they're gone for good because the reserve tank is open-vented at top.

Then after shutdown, the mass of engine coolant contracts, and when the internal system pressure drops to ~1psi below atmospheric the p-cap lets liquid flow back into the system from the bottom of the reserve tank to equalise the system pressure to near atmospheric again.

In order for that to work, there has to be two flow connections on the p-tank: a way in, and a way out. The water pump constantly pulls some liquid from the bottom of the p-tank, which is what creates a suction in the tank and hence the purge ring.

*The purge hoses are only directly from the heads on cyls # 2 and 4. On #3 the purge hose draws from the attached t-stat housing, and there's an operable purge orifice on the t-stat cover to evacuate the radiator return while the t-stat is closed. On #1 the purge hose draws from the coolant distribution manifold, which is itself a tower separator on 2wd's but there wasn't room for a tower on Syncros due to the fuel tank filling that whole space, so the Syncro has a purge hose attached to the midpoint of the forward coolant crossover pipe.

baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, it's a bit hard to see but there is an additional threaded 1/2" connector at the bottom of the Moroso.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

That's the hole I saw, but oops! I didn't see the one up on the side.

Oh well, now you know how air-purging works.

Sure, that tank can be made to work. The rest is just plumbing. And you know how that goes...

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

You’ve been busy. Fun stuff.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Yep, Dave, busy, but not so much with the fun stuff, mostly it's just grinding out parts to get the orders out quick enough and keep the bills paid. I dunno how I found the couple days to do the dash job, but I have to do something rewarding once in awhile to keep me doing the unrewarding stuff. The center vent thing had been gnawing at me for years. The advent of these tiny audio controllers suddenly made the whole idea so simple I couldn't make myself wait any longer.

And having those center vents is a delight, nice to have some warm air up where my hands can feel it on these cold mornings, and more cool air once the day warms up. Every other car around moves air throughout the cockpit, how could such supposedly good designers make a system with an overly-forced airflow (which I also fixed) with such lame-ass distribution. Well, need anyone ask, it's VW, of course!

Next up, I'm working on a brass ball-valve as a direct replacement for the stock heater valve, which will include a radiator auto-bleed. This would have been so easy for VW to do from the factory it's downright silly.

Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Here's an idea I've been thinking about for some time, but don't have the ability to make happen. I thought I'd post it here as certain people in these parts have that sort of skilsl.

The problem: hot air accumulates in the back of your van, because there isn't any real source of fresh air back there, and because no matter how you insulate it, it's sitting on top of a very hot engine. This makes the AC run less efficiently while you're driving, and the rear area becomes almost unusable for camping or whatever when you stop.

So how can you get fresh air back there? Almost any inlet point is going to have the problem of allowing rain, etc., to get in as well. D columns? Nope. Roof? Nope. The floor? Too hot anyway.

Here's the only place I can think of to accomplish this: cut a hole in the passenger side wall and insert a vent so the outlet is under the cover for the sliding door assembly.

Then, you put in some kind of a flat fan like those used for oil coolers (...), wire it to the dash with a relay, and voila, fresh air in the back.

Whatcha think?

I'll volunteer my van as guinea pig!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

The did eventually recognise the lack of air exchange toward the rear of the cabin so the late rear windows have vents that let air flow thru to the rear of the van and out. If that's a problem for you, find a set of those windows and swap them.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: