Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Will do, thanks
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

In addition to what Chris said, you can send air to the rear of the van by moving the 'Rear Vent' slider (the one on the bottom) all the way to the left.

Close down the 'Defrost' and re-route the air towards the back seat.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

True that, it just doesn't have that much of an effect, at least in mine.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/cabin-air-control/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just ordered the fresh air kit. I will install it on my next CA trip - along with some nice Burley items Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Here's a look at my newest product. I've adapted a high-quality brass ball valve to be a direct replacement for the aged plastic OEM valves that leak internally and don’t stop the heat. Plus it will automatically and constantly purge the radiator.

More here:
https://intrepidoverland.com/preview-bomber-heater-valve-with-auto-bleed/

I'll have this out pretty soon, check the Vanistan shop for price and availability, and thanks so much for everyone's support!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Bravo, Chris. Always love seeing your inventiveness. The self-bleed feature is a great idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

The self-bleeding feature in itself makes it worthwile! I love the idea. A couple of questions:
1 Where does the air go when bleeding? If the tubing sends the air back to the heater core, doesn't it just go back inside the coolant circuit somewhere? Or is it rerouted to the expansion tank?
2 I thought a minimal amount of coolant passing through was necessary, even with the valve closed. A very small amount wouldn't heat the core much, but allow coolant flow and hep prevent corrosion.
Looking forward to see the pricing!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Does the clear hose evacuate air from the top of the rad back into the coolant flow to burp in the coolant tank?

Self-bleeding is a bit of a mystery to me.

p.s. it looks so pretty I might buy one to hand from the rear view mirror. Smile

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the clear hose evacuate air from the top of the rad back into the coolant flow to burp in the coolant tank?

Exactly. it's patched into the heater return flow, which is at a lower pressure after the heater core than pressure at the top of the radiator, and if you close the heater valve, the difference is even higher. So coolant is able to fill the radiator to the top without the air there pushing back, and the air flows out and down to the heater return hose and gets purged back at the pressure tank like everything else.

Quote:
I thought a minimal amount of coolant passing through was necessary, even with the valve closed. A very small amount wouldn't heat the core much, but allow coolant flow and hep prevent corrosion.

That's a popular myth, one of those rationales people come up with for what they think they're seeing, but they usually haven't actually looked. If you examine how the OEM valve was built, it definitely closes 100% by design. But it uses a rubber seal inside to seal around the nylon ball, and the seal ages and gets little cracks where it meets the ball, so a little coolant is always able to leak thru.

Even that tiny amount does heat the core unacceptably, when the weather's warm, it's what people have been complaining about for years. I had a valve that closed perfectly since new but started leaking last fall. It's not even fully spring and the minimum heat was already intolerable on a warmish day. But that put the fire under my ass to get this done, I'd already clamped and unclamped the heater hose enough times, and I know the replacement valves on the market are kinda hit or miss.

Corrosion from stagnating coolant is a real thing, but that's a very slow process, and the designers would never consider that the heater valve would not be operated for years. Besides, we might wish the cars to last forever, but they most certainly did not.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

There's entirely too much thought going into these products. Please dial it back a bit. Excess thought makes me nervous.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Here's a look at my newest product. I've adapted a high-quality brass ball valve to be a direct replacement for the aged plastic OEM valves that leak internally and don’t stop the heat. Plus it will automatically and constantly purge the radiator.

More here:
https://intrepidoverland.com/preview-bomber-heater-valve-with-auto-bleed/

I'll have this out pretty soon, check the Vanistan shop for price and availability, and thanks so much for everyone's support!

If that's PVC tubing (e.g. Tygon) I'd be worried about the the heat/pressure getting to it. Is that an issue?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought the working temperature of clear vinyl tubing is around 150-175F. I think for a vanagon any tubing needs to be rated to at least 250F to be safe.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
There's entirely too much thought going into these products. Please dial it back a bit. Excess thought makes me nervous.

Thanks Casey, but you can relax, no excess thought, only what's needed to build it right, which by mind-numbingly obvious necessity includes choosing the right materials.

pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Definitely looking forward to seeing the cost. I know it will be more than $9 but hopefully under $150.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Yeah...just teasing us...not on the website yet! Very Happy

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Beautiful work on the valve!

Will definitely be purchasing this, thanks Tencent!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:
Definitely looking forward to seeing the cost. I know it will be more than $9 but hopefully under $150.

Somewhere in there, yeah.

Thanks for the props guys!

Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

Yes! I can use one of these. I've been putting off replacing mine because the replacements are crap. My diesel runs cool enough where some increased flow to the heater core would be welcome. I'm sick of crawling under van to work the ball valve I installed as a work-around! Make it, I'll buy.
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official IntrepidOverland thread, home of Vanistan and Redshiftt Reply with quote

My only complaint here is that I recently moved my valve inside for better eye balling of the inevitable failure... Could have saved all that hassle! Haha

Any chance this system could be adapted for a valve sitting on the inside hoses?
Maybe with a longer/stiffer purge hose to pass through the heater hose rubber grommet into the van

My cooling system is still empty for the motor swap and I'd love to get this in there before getting it back on the road Smile

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: