Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical - Aux battery and Fuse 3 - No lights and no cig
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Electrical - Aux battery and Fuse 3 - No lights and no cig Reply with quote

Just installed an auxiliary battery. Yandina combiner, Blue Seas fuse box, the whole 9 yards. Cool Works fine, EXCEPT one thing... I can't have the radio/lights/cig lighter run on the aux battery. Embarassed

Vehicle: 1990 Westfalia full camper. had the relay under the driver's seat.

What I did: install the aux battery. I used the existing red wire that runs from the driver's seat battery box to the fuse box, removed it from panel P (permanent +12V) and plugged it in lower socket of fuse 3, so I could have radio/lights/cig run on the aux battery.

What happened: The lights and cig lighter stopped working, the radio still worked.

I removed the spade. Turns out:
1/ There is +12V at the lower spade of fuse 3 socket, contact on or off;
2/ The radio works no matter what, i.e. it is not on fuse 3.

Questions:
1/ How is my radio powered? Are we looking at a possible case of PO's bamboozle?
2/ If my radio is not on fuse 3, why do I have +12V at the lower socket of fuse 3, and why won't the lights work?

Question Question Confused Wink
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical - Aux battery and Fuse 3 - No lights and no cig Reply with quote

There are 2 versions of the 86-91 fuse panel. The 2 pins for fuse #3 are reversed in the later version.

With nothing in the 2 pins of fuse slot #3, measure the volts on each pin compared to ground. 1 pin should have constant +12 from the main battery.
DON'T use that pin. Plug the aux battery wire spade into the OTHER pin. That should move what was using fuse #3 to now use the aux battery power. Make sure the wire from the aux battery has a fuse near the aux battery end.

As for why the radio works with nothing in fuse slot #3, sounds like a previous modification.

Mark
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical - Aux battery and Fuse 3 - No lights and no cig Reply with quote

Lux fiat! It works. Thanks Mark. Very Happy

Regarding the inversion of the fuse for the later models, is it something I could have found out on the Bentley?

I put a 15 A fuse.

As for the radio, I'll have to do some exploration...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: