Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Bostig has a new exhaust system, which is part of the RG-9 group. Here are my installation notes. Difficulty is 2/5, once you decipher the instructions!

Download them at the end of this Bostig posting:
https://bostig.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000349766-RG9-SK-E-and-rockauto-order-list

Reasons why this was developed: (from that site)
"Significantly greater clearance to the decklid/lower decklid temps
Allows use of a longer flex coupler to extend its life
Allows purchase of catalytic converter off-the-shelf
Places muffler further from AC compressor for those with AC
Backward compatible with current muffler, but also allows for different mufflers by changing the downpipe alone. 
Allows full coverage heat shielding
Easier O2 sensor access

The new exhaust is similar in idea to the core idea of the conversion itself: Design simple and rugged non-wearable custom parts to allow use of off-the-shelf complex wearable parts.

The new exhaust manifold adapter replaces the existing ford focus manifold with a "catifold" or combination manifold and catalytic converter from 2002-2007 non-turbo Mitsubishi lancers. There are multiple makers, but they are not all identical. Optimal choices are listed below from testing in descending order based on fit and design of the catifold, they range in price from $160-$330."

I assume you're reading the instructions while doing this work, as I try NOT to repeat what they say, just try to make it clearer.

The box of goodies gets opened, and oh, wow, what's what? First off the muffler brackets come as a pair, a thin one and a wide one.

The wider one mounts side by side with the older, thinner one. Rumors have it that there are several new mufflers being looked at. This setup will allow the old style to continue to be used, but make for easy installation of a different muffler or hangers. Wider one is to the outside.

The catifold has an inner shield, goes on engine side, an outer heat shield, and a vented cover shield. And each set has an upper and a lower part. It helps to sort them out of the box and put them in pairs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)

Last edited by JudoJeff on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: The adapter and inner heat shield Reply with quote

The adapter is a heavy, beautifully machined billet that goes on the zetec exhaust ports. Save your old Ford gasket. Clean the ports off, and put the Ford gasket on. Then three bolts on the lower holes. The adapter hangs on those 3 bolts. Attach per instructions.

Ford gasket

Adapter (Don't drop it on your foot!)

On the Zetec:

Assemble the upper and lower inner heat shield per instructions

Catifold: (makes me think of a lobster!)

Turn the catifold on it's back, and lay the inner HS (heat shield) on it. Place on the adapter (don't forget the new gasket!), and tighten to hold in place one nut. All lined up? Attach per instructions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Outside Heat Shield Reply with quote

There's a very solid brace that goes to the bottom of the cat, where the flex piece attached. Install that. I tightened the bolts. Later on it says to tighten them, but will be harder to get at them.

Assemble the outside HS. Now the instructions say put the lower part on the catifold, then the upper, and attach them. Well, I found it easier to loosely attach them at the two bolts, then put it on the catifold. Everything is loose.

Now, I got the four bolts, two in the middle, two on the bottom. (which get removed anyway....) But failed to line up any of the others. Do the best you can, I can not see well at short distances.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Vented outer piece Reply with quote

Assemble Vented outer piece per instructions. Don't forget to peel off any white tape. Attach per instructions. This is very straight forward. I taped the Tinnerman nuts in place on the lower outer HS, just so they'd lineup easier.
Tighten everything up.

You can install the O2 sensor if it has the plug on it.

Between the instruction photos and this, you should have an easier time installing this.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

It looks really good. Once again Bostig improves their product offering.
Will be interesting how much it reduces under lid heat buildup.

It's kinda hard to see, how's the clearance around the crank position sensor and cable?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Mstaboo, about 5 inches.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

PM sent.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Brownj Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Jeff, Was the catifold included as part of the kit? I just ordered one @ Rockauto. Maybe I'm confused?

Bostig says:

"add Manifold Converter for 2002-2007 non-turbo Mitsubishi lancer (rockauto not cheapest in all cases, Amazon and ebay are cheaper depending on which maker)"
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Browns,
Yes you have to procure catifold, five to pick from. EBay good source.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: New muffler set up Reply with quote

Briefly mentioned this, but didn't provide a photo. The new setup has a new, wider mounting plate, which goes back-to-back with the older, thinner one. Here's how it goes together, the wide one is to the outside:

I like it because it lets you try different mufflers

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Any updates on this, have you got it running yet?

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

No, waiting for two missing parts, due in tomorrow, and owner provided ECU incorrect, (Jim caught it, not me). Most likely first start will be next week.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Jim has finally listed the new exhaust header kit:
http://www.bostig.com/rg9-exhaust/

There are two prices, one for a complete kit and another without the four-point muffler hanger system.
Currently there are only 7 available so you need to jump if you're interested in lowering your engine bay temps.

Question for JudoJeff:
Are there other gaskets needed that are not included with the kit or the manifold? Is the O2 sensor the same one ?
Thanks.

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

You might need new exhaust gasket if your existing one is shot. You want the metal one, under $20.
Otherwise everything is included.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Great that it's finally released for existing owners, bummer is I have not the budget for this!
Farfromslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Did they figure out what to do about the AC compressor outlets when using this, Jim said it was an issue they were going to have to figure out
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Farfromslow wrote:
Did they figure out what to do about the AC compressor outlets when using this, Jim said it was an issue they were going to have to figure out
I think it's gonna matter which way the a/c lines are routed.
Not too worried about mine since I ran them towards the rear of the engine bay away from the exhaust.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
You might need new exhaust gasket if your existing one is shot. You want the metal one, under $20.
Otherwise everything is included.
When you say exhaust gasket do you mean the Ford one between the head and the new adaptor?

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Yes, between head and adapter. Most are fine to re-use.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Drove down to Kalispell this past weekend to pick up our goodies from the PO Box. Very excited to get the new exhaust setup.

Started working on the van this afternoon, got the old exhaust stripped off without any problems.
However...after getting the new Bostig adaptor fitted to the engine and working to get the new catifold header installed there is very definitely a clearance issue with the A/C lines.
I'm very disappointed to say the least. No mention on the order page about any fitment issues (or from Jim, and I have been in contact with him for a month about this new system) for vans with a/c.
The first time I heard there might be a problem was after I had already ordered and Farfromslow mentioned it above.
I had high hopes that I wouldn't have a problem since my lines are tucked real close to the compressor and away from the cat.

I'll be opening a ticket and talking to Jim about this. It totally sucks and I'm dead in the water. Don't really want to go back to the old setup, but I'm not gonna lose the a/c after all the money I've spent getting that working.

Don't see how there is anyway to make it fit without major chopping.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: