Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Empi proplems
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: New Empi proplems Reply with quote

So I've put a new Empi pict 34 on my rail and it fired right up and idles great after that it's down hill. When I punch the gas it pops like crazy and dies unless I let off the gas then it goes back to idling nice.
009 dis
All stock.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Empi proplems Reply with quote

Did you take it apart and clean the internals before using it? there's usually crap in the float bowls from the factory.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Empi proplems Reply with quote

Nope, I just assumed they were all bench tested and ready to go I will take it apart and take a look at it. Now I've read somewhere that these empi carbs will not run right with a 009 distributor that I'll need to go back to a vacuum Advanced is this correct.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Empi proplems Reply with quote

bug_n_67 wrote:
Nope, I just assumed they were all bench tested and ready to go I will take it apart and take a look at it. Now I've read somewhere that these empi carbs will not run right with a 009 distributor that I'll need to go back to a vacuum Advanced is this correct.

The 34PICT-3 works best with the 034 which is what it came with from the factory.

you're best performance would be a rebuilt Solex 34PICT-3 matched to a rebuilt Bosch 034 (0231 170 034)

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Empi proplems Reply with quote

So I just looked and when I look down the top of the carb and open the throttle I don't see any gas coming out of that tube over the top so I'm guessing that is causing the problem.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: New Empi proplems Reply with quote

Of something comes from EMPI, the only assumption that you can make is that its faulty. Guilty until proven innocent.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Empi proplems Reply with quote

Well after pulling the carb off and looking it I could that it was assembled wrong. The rod that works the accelerator pump inside that slot wasn't even in there it was assembled below so there was no pump action whatsoever. That's some pretty crappy quality control for a brand new carburetor.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Empi proplems Reply with quote

bug_n_67 wrote:
That's some pretty crappy quality control for a brand new carburetor.

It's EMPI, what did you expect?

You should of bought a rebuilt Solex from Tim.

This is just another example that the cheaper parts isn't always cheaper in the end.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: