Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

age group of current VW hobbiest
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

age of current vintage VW collector.
Birth to 25
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
age 26 to 35
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
age 36 to 45
23%
 23%  [ 51 ]
age 46 to 55
27%
 27%  [ 60 ]
age 56 to 65
24%
 24%  [ 54 ]
age over 66
10%
 10%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 220

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

... it was suggested that we find out what the average age of the current vintage VW enthusiast is.
Gary Haberman wrote:
"Could it possibly be that our hobby has reached a sort of saturation where the average enthusiast is older? Are we dying off? I remember reading a post where it was mentioned that owners of Model Ts can't sell their cars for a reasonable price anymore because there are no takers. Let's face it, we buy our car (in my case and many others, "cars"), fix them up and then what? We slow down our purchases because we are done with repairs or restorations. I don't buy nearly as much as I did years ago..."
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

My observation from the last few car shows I was at and local club meetings is 40 & over.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

I have noticed that most early VW's are now garage queens.
If the cars rarely get driven. a lot of parts are just never going to wear out.
green71volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

I'm 36 and see mostly gray haired people at the shows who have owned there cars longer than I've been around . The only ones close to my age that I commonly see with vws are usually either in the dune buggy or water cooled crowd. Maybe once the current generation of collectors\hoarders\flippers, age and thin out, maybe I'll be able to afford them again. Laughing
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

green71volks wrote:
I'm 36 and see mostly gray haired people at the shows who have owned there cars longer than I've been around . The only ones close to my age that I commonly see with vws are usually either in the dune buggy or water cooled crowd. Maybe once the current generation of collectors\hoarders\flippers, age and thin out, maybe I'll be able to afford them again. Laughing

... that's me - a white hair and bearded hoarder/collector. I know what you mean about us oldies thinning out... is happening, daily right now... yes, the prices are out of control for me too... hope you're right, about the future.

I've owned my single cab since 1995 and we have included it and everything else in our son's trust fund. We hope he leaves it to his kids some day...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

VW's are nothing compared to wooden boats.

Number of members in the biggest antique and classic boat club: 7,000

Number of those members who are under 40 years of age: 26

I'd hold off a few years if you're thinking about buying a Chris-Craft. Unless something changes they're going to get a lot cheaper.

jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

It all makes me wonder what is going to be "the" big collectable of the current generation. What is it they will hold dear from their youth?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
It all makes me wonder what is going to be "the" big collectable of the current generation. What is it they will hold dear from their youth?

Vintage video game consoles.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

coad wrote:

I'd hold off a few years if you're thinking about buying a Chris-Craft. Unless something changes they're going to get a lot cheaper.

The same is said about vintage cars, and who’s going to hold the torch for parts and repair? Zero Sum.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

If Iowegian responds to this, it'll skew the results.

FU#3
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

all this chatter about age, values and who is going to carry on the "tradition" is kind of funny. I mean....who really gives a shit? if you got into this because of a "future investment" cash out now while they are still hot.

growing up I was drawn to buses. I could honestly care less about a bug or a ghia. I got a bus when I was 11....and pretty much had one ever since. I did it for me...and the "I have one, you don't"......everyone had a mustang/Camaro/C-10...."catalogue cars" ...you know, open a book, send in a check (remember those things?) and they built a car from a magazine. I liked the hunt...back in the late 80's early 90's it was going junk yard to junk yard....it was fun. never once did I ever look at it as an investment....still don't.

honestly I think there is no "young" people getting in due to 30 years of debt for a degree that is useless. they just can't afford it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

People see me driving my car, a lot of them think it's really cool.
Some say that they wish they had one, or want to get one, or want to buy mine.
If you don't drive your cars, and nobody sees them...... nobody THINKS of it. Out of sight out of mind. You have to be REALLY out there to want to do something you don't see others doing.

Get on the road!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If you don't drive your cars, and nobody sees them...... nobody THINKS of it. Out of sight out of mind. You have to be REALLY out there to want to do something you don't see others doing.

Get on the road!

... OR, THIS IS THE VIEW OF OUR BARN, FROM THE ROAD... people stop in, all the time. I don't have to drive any where...

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

coad wrote:

... I also collect (and invest in) very old wood and canvas canoes - here's a 1905 Rushton, i'm saving for our son.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

I am 34 and just got my trans out of the shop which will get my car back on the road soon. I saw a nice white 65 on the road today and would estimate he was late 40's. It was over 100 out today..
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

modok wrote:

Get on the road!

True! And support VW shows and rallies.

What I also see happening is fewer and fewer air cooled mechanics who really know what they are doing. If you have one, or know how to do it yourself, you're fortunate.

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

Just cast my vote - Holy crap! Most of you guys are young! Shocked

So you have had that singe cab since '95 you say?

Here is a shot just now out the back door of the Bus Dad bought new in '69 to haul us kids around in.

This is how it looked last winter, poor thing!

I have had locals wanting to buy it but I don't relish the idea of it being chopped up to make a gopher chaser/field beater destined to rot in some slough when it quits. That is what would happen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

This graying of the crowd is not at all limited to this VW hobby as stated above. One of my other hobbies is model airplanes and you are hard pressed to find a head that is not gray at any of those events.

I see the problem as being the lack of manual dexterity, motor skills and pride in accomplishment that comes with getting ones hands dirty. I look at the hands of the younger generation that have never touched anything outside of a key board and marvel at the lost potential there!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

I see less and less in my area of them driving around and yes there are less shops that know how to fix them. Salt air eats them alive here and always has. I never bought mine as an investment but it will be hard to fix them if the companies stop making repop parts for them. They have a wooden boat show right along the river here next month. Ive always wanted one of those as well as a woodie wagon. Hope they both go down in price. as far as gray hair i have a shaved head but the goatee is going more salt than pepper these days......
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
This graying of the crowd is not at all limited to this VW hobby as stated above. One of my other hobbies is model airplanes and you are hard pressed to find a head that is not gray at any of those events.

I see the problem as being the lack of manual dexterity, motor skills and pride in accomplishment that comes with getting ones hands dirty. I look at the hands of the younger generation that have never touched anything outside of a key board and marvel at the lost potential there!

The US Navy disagrees with your opinion regarding the "lack of manual dexterity and motor skills": The US Navy’s newest submarine comes with an Xbox controller

You're going to judge someone's skills by the cleanliness of his/her hands? I hope you never have to seek the services of a someone in the medical profession -- especially a surgeon, dentist, oral surgeon, etc. Wood workers don't exactly get their hands dirty, nor do model builders and, in some cases, machinists. The statement "pride in getting one's hands dirty" is a lazy, subjective judgement.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: