Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frustrating linkage problem
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clayman340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Frustrating linkage problem Reply with quote

I'm almost done with my Tow'd project. Took it for a test drive today. Reverse was really hard to find but it was there as we're all the forward gears. Got a mile down the road and went to turn around and couldn't find reverse. Got it home and started adjusting the linkage. The shifter is new as is the shift rod, and bushings. I welded on one of those threaded adjusters on the shift rod so I could dial in a perfect shift. Anyway I spent my whole day adjusting both the shift rod at the coupler and at the shifter mount & could never get it to grab more than 2 gears at a time. Like, I could get 2nd and reverse or 1st and third or some combination but never all the gears. Could it be just a bad swing axle ? The one in the buggy is the one that was in the car when I got it. Which it didn't run then so I never got to try it out but the guy I bought it from claimed it was a good transmission and only needed a clutch, which I did. Any advice anyone???
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustrating linkage problem Reply with quote

IF you can get one set of gears with one adjustment and a different set of gears with different adjustment, its not transaxle its all about your shifter and the adjuster on end of shift rod....

Sometimes the changes need to be ever so slight to refine it to point its correct...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Frustrating linkage problem Reply with quote

Set it up initially so that when its in neutral between 1st and 2nd that the cup is straight up centered in the big hole under the shifter. Then install the shift lever and never move it again.

Make all the fine adjustments with the threaded adjuster. Did I already say, "Don't move the lever again?"

However, if that's where you start out, it should be able to get all the gears
Clayman340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Frustrating linkage problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice... I'm going out to the garage to give it another try.
Clayman340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustrating linkage problem Reply with quote

Got it figured out Very Happy The shifter I'm using is a Scat shifter. It has a spring in it that holds it pushed to the right, so I used a zip tie to push against the spring allowing the shifter to hold a centered position long enough to bolt it down into position. Next, after tightening the bolts, I cut the zip tie and everything lined up. Got all my gears now.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustrating linkage problem Reply with quote

Clayman340 wrote:
Got it figured out Very Happy The shifter I'm using is a Scat shifter. It has a spring in it that holds it pushed to the right, so I used a zip tie to push against the spring allowing the shifter to hold a centered position long enough to bolt it down into position. Next, after tightening the bolts, I cut the zip tie and everything lined up. Got all my gears now.

Good....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustrating linkage problem Reply with quote

Thanks for closing the loop. Other people seeing the problem you had and how you solved it will help them in turn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: