Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

This is in a Porsche 356, but is this procedure correct to crank that long? I’ve never seen this done before and was just wondering. She explains that she purposely cranks to get the oil up on the parts before it runs, but as she says, this is painful.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

Well it appears she has no choice but to keep cranking till fuel gets to the carbs.

Bug On.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

I get it, but she’s purposely not giving any gas. Is this the preferred method? My bug starts right up even if it sits that long through the winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

"Preferred" and "Correct" are relative terms.

As a general rule of thumb... (from the "20 things you should know" thread)
Quote:

33) Your engine should turn over and start within 3-5 seconds (or quicker) when stone cold. If it doesn't, there's an issue- fix it

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

stupidest thing i've ever seen...she's so concerned about oil pressure but she's sitting there with her foot on the clutch with the springs on the pressure plate jamming the thrust surface of the flywheel into the bearing with no lube at all...and continues after the car starts....obviously you're forced to do this on a late model car cause the government believes we're too stupid to start a car in neutral so we have to step on the clutch but there's no excuse to be dumb enough to do this to a vintage car
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

May just be my imagination, but that car seems to be cranking a bit slowly. I don't know. I have not owned a 356. Maybe this thread should be in the 356 forum?

If my cars have only been sitting for 2 months I don't worry too much about lack of oil, and just give them some gas. But that's just me. I don't know that there is a right or wrong in this situation. Ask the 356 folks if it matters to their cars.

I don't ever hold the starter that long. That is just my personal preference. I would crank it a couple of times for 5-10 seconds, then walk away for a few minutes and try again. I watch the oil light to make sure it goes out. It shouldn't take that long for the fuel pump to get gas into the carbs.

If you are worried about the starter overheating just reach under the car and see if it is hot after a couple of attempts. If it is hot it will cool down fairly quickly.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

Never had my car sit that long since it is a daily but... That seems excessive to me. I also have an oil filter with anti drainback valve and I know a lot of us do too? Perhaps that helps the oil pump suction side of things to be nicely sealed?

When I change my oil and filter I DO flip my kill switch to off until the oil pressure light turns off. Then I switch to on, flick the key and the car starts instantly.

-Frank
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
This is in a Porsche 356, but is this procedure correct to crank that long? I’ve never seen this done before and was just wondering. She explains that she purposely cranks to get the oil up on the parts before it runs, but as she says, this is painful.

Absolutely not.. a healthy engine will get oil pressure almost immediately after startup. The main concern, and she mentioned it, is starter life - there is always a time limit on how long you should run a starter and how long to let it cool off between tries. An additional concern would be the starter hot wire.. with a battery up front, the wire will warm up very quickly with the starter drawing a heavy current for an extended time.

I don't know much about dual carbs so I can't say for sure.. but there should not be any reason for the fuel to evaporate, drain back, or leak so much that the bowls are bone dry after two weeks. There is a problem.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I don't know much about dual carbs so I can't say for sure.. but there should not be any reason for the fuel to evaporate, drain back, or leak so much that the bowls are bone dry after two weeks. There is a problem.

I have a single Weber 40 DCNF on my 1835cc engine in Phoenix. Yes, after sitting two weeks it takes a few tries to start, and same with my lawn mower. Heat is the reason.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:

I have a single Weber 40 DCNF on my 1835cc engine in Phoenix. Yes, after sitting two weeks it takes a few tries to start, and same with my lawn mower. Heat is the reason.

I can understand heat being a problem.. after all the bowl is directly vented to ambient via the impact tube, and fuel vaporizes at what, 140°? But in the linked video she talked about temps being in the 30s. In my not-so-daily bus with a single H30/31 and mechanical fuel pump, I can start the engine and immediately idle, without pressing the gas, on a 3-second or less key turn. Regardless of how long it's been since last running. I'm not saying this applies to her car or your scenario.. it's just that carb bowls shouldn't drain flat dry in two weeks if mine can stay full for months.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold start after sitting on a battery tender. Is this correct? Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
In my not-so-daily bus with a single H30/31 and mechanical fuel pump, I can start the engine and immediately idle, without pressing the gas, on a 3-second or less key turn. Regardless of how long it's been since last running.

On my 1970 with with a single H30/31 and mechanical fuel pump (1600cc DP), it rarely goes more than a few days without being run, so different case than with the 1971 with the 1835cc and Weber. Plus the 1970 is in a cooler climate.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: