Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I sell my 1970 bus?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I sell it?
Yes
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
NO
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 17

1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

I need help.
I am debating on whether or not to sell my 1970 VW CampMobile. I know that only I might be able to answer this but I am looking for input from others who may have been or are in a similar position.
I purchased my bus way back in 1997. It used to be my daily driver. I planted my first kiss on my girlfriend, now wife, in it back then. To be completely honest, I have made more than enough money since then to have completely restored it but I haven't. It still has the ugly 2-tone Tijuana paint job that's all faded. It still has torn door seals. Other than that, it's in very good mechanical condition. I just recently sank about $4,000 into him. I really think that I have just lost interest but it holds a lot of memories for me.
I am married and my wife keeps giving me the ultimatum to either sell or restore it and drive it. Just prior to me putting money into him recently, he sat in my garage for about 2 years without me even touching it.
I think that I'm at a stage/age in my life where I hate working on cars now and I don't have much time. I am now that guy that pays everyone to do things that I don't have the time to do himself.
I make enough money to where the financial gain is attractive but not necessary. It would allow me to replace an aging vehicle with over 100,000 miles on it. My wife thinks that I hang onto things too long and develop an attachment to objects.
Anyways, any thoughts? Has anyone else been in my position where maybe you owned your VW prior to marriage and now things have changed for you?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

You received permission from your wife to restore it??
Not only is the bus a keeper, but she is too! Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

Hello,
I like the way you think Kent...
Well, to the question on to sell or not, that is something you have to figure out.
It's bought and paid for, just use it as is. Maybe spring for some new paint and seals to make it feel fresh again. Take the little lady camping.... start a family in it.
If you have someone do all the work to "restore" it, then, there goes any real financial gain, you'll just be getting your money back. Then again, you can sell it to the next starry eyed buyer. That's your call.
If you have the means, just keep it. But use it, make it a family thing.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

There will come a day when you want to take it back out again and find a back road. It happens to all bus owners and it is a given. That said parts are getting harder to find and one day not far in the future there will be more buses needing attention then there are parts or mechanics and machine shops. Banks don't finance them and that holds the price down. To me it would all come down to storage. If you can keep it and your other cars in a garage ready to hop in and drive I say go for it. If you can't then sell it and let someone else have the experience. It will need to be driven a couple times a month just to keep the battery charged. It will need washing and fuel used or it will go bad. You don't want to let it sit 10 years then look for parts and have to deal with dead batteries, flat tires, cobwebs, mice getting into it etc. Either fix it up until you are comfortable with it now or move on, your wife is accurate on that part. Many of us have a bus that we only use occasionally. There is no sin in that either.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

sell it.
buy a nice GMC Safari.
spend the leftover $10K+ on something fun.
don't look back.
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

My question to you is, What would be the factors keeping you from restoring/remaking it in your vision? Money? Time? Ideas? Labor?

The memories and joy you've had in it already weigh heavily on your heart to want to keep it. With the help and generosity in this forum and other places online, there should be little holding you back from rolling it out, putting some time and passion into it, and having a great drive in it with you and your wife.

Pick your favorite color to put on it for paint, get a little help with the seals, button it up and make it yours!

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

recently sank $4k into it...
haven't touched it in two years....I'm getting mixed messages here,
flip a coin like that killer in No Country For Old Men. lol.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

If you sell it, you'll miss it. If you don't sell it, you'll always be thinking of selling it.

I sold my 72 Cutlass after 14 years. Same story. Needed work and i lost interest. Im still looking back and that was a few years ago.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

First there’s some logistical issues to consider.

1). Can I find someone near me to do the work
2). How much will they charge
3). Will I be happy afterwards and start driving the bus again?

Then, if you don’t have close access to body and paint, parts, mechanic, where could you send it and feel secure that this person would be honest and do a good job? Is it too far away to be worthwhile?

Might it be better to just cut the cord and find a new owner who will have the enthusiasm to get the bus back in shape?

Finally,
As we go through life there are special times we experience. These times are limited and the sweet spot comes, goes, and we move onto something else.

Recognizing that a change is needed is tough. A few years ago I realized that my life would be better by selling my boat and then buying my wife a brand new car to drive. Best decision I’ve made in a while. I do t miss the boat and love the new car.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

what makes you think if it's restored you'd use it more? if you didn't have "time" in 21 years to address it's issues, what makes you think you'd have time to enjoy it?

sell it. when you're ready buy a restored one from a reputable seller/restorer, use it for a year or 2 then sell it again.

I can't tell you how much pipe I laid in my first bus. sold it because the girl I was dating at the time was more fun to ride than the bus was, and she wasn't in to the bus. do I miss it? not really.

like the girl, all buses are the same. they all look like sisters when you lift the skirt. sell it. let someone else have the same memory of getting some stanky for their hang lo

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

besides, you can still do the nasty in a GMC Safari. and have actual, real heat. and air conditioning. and go faster than 70......uphill. and wipers and defrost worth a crap. and have $10K + left over after you sell your bus. and you can still have that sliding door 'whoomp'.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
what makes you think if it's restored you'd use it more? if you didn't have "time" in 21 years to address it's issues, what makes you think you'd have time to enjoy it?

sell it. when you're ready buy a restored one from a reputable seller/restorer, use it for a year or 2 then sell it again.

I can't tell you how much pipe I laid in my first bus. sold it because the girl I was dating at the time was more fun to ride than the bus was, and she wasn't in to the bus. do I miss it? not really.

like the girl, all buses are the same. they all look like sisters when you lift the skirt. sell it. let someone else have the same memory of getting some stanky for their hang lo

Interesting you say that. My suggestion was to have you subi swap it so he doesn't have to have nearly as much maintenance. He doesn't want to spend the time working on it, and from what I can tell you give a completed package ready to drive and enjoy. He could have a nice van with new power and no carb adjustments or any of the little things like that that come with these old acvws
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
besides, you can still do the nasty in a GMC Safari. and have actual, real heat. and air conditioning. and go faster than 70......uphill. and wipers and defrost worth a crap. and have $10K + left over after you sell your bus. and you can still have that sliding door 'whoomp'.

Thanks Jon, now I want GMC Safari...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

if he wanted to do a mechanical restoration with a power plant upgrade that would be fine....I have done it before for many.....but it still doesn't change the fact that time may be a factor here.

of all the cars I have, just yesterday I took the Subaru bus for a ride....we're already 1/2 way thru the year. notice....I said a ride. I went on my 10 mile test loop and grabbed a coffee.

so, I understand the time thing. personally, I think it would be foolish to dump a bunch of money in something that he runs around the block for a coffee.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

A car with legacy to the love of your live?

Keep it and restore it. Send it somewhere good to restore like skills so She doesn’t have to watch.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

Thanks Jon, now I want GMC Safari...

Wait till you see my Safari at Terryville. I hope you'll be able to contain yourself.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

if he wanted to do a mechanical restoration with a power plant upgrade that would be fine....I have done it before for many.....but it still doesn't change the fact that time may be a factor here.

of all the cars I have, just yesterday I took the Subaru bus for a ride....we're already 1/2 way thru the year. notice....I said a ride. I went on my 10 mile test loop and grabbed a coffee.

so, I understand the time thing. personally, I think it would be foolish to dump a bunch of money in something that he runs around the block for a coffee.

Agreed, i was working under the assumption he wanted to keep it drive it every month or so. Or better, more regularly. A duno engine can sit dormant for longer than an A vw at least.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

I'm guessing the large cash expense was a new engine and front suspension/disc brakes?

The bus looks good in your photos.. the engine looks decent too.. what else are you expecting to get done before you'll really be able to enjoy driving it?

I am a few years in to owning a running and driving '71 bus. it needs a lot of stuff done, some of it is major rust repair. I don't drive it much right now because I have a truck with heat and a/c, and a quiet ride. i can think of all sorts of things that might help me 'enjoy' the bus more and drive it more often; but then I see some guys here post pics of their daily drivers that have been rode hard and put up wet. and the die hard bus owners just keep driving them, regardless of the state of restoration or repair. (some folks do need to take their bus off the road for repairs tho, like that one guy who was looking for advice about driving without front shocks Confused ) My point is, be intellectually honest with yourself - do you really enjoy owning and driving the bus, or is it nostalgia?

Also I think everyone needs to at least acknowledge Donny's hilarious plumber scenario he just put in our minds Laughing
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

Sell it, I need a bus Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sell my 1970 bus? Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing Damn it, you owe me the beer I just spit out. Laughing That was awesome

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: